Referee for Thursday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Referee for Thursday

Post by ancientnloyal »

With Lockers IMO he was too far out to be guaranteed a try. Isn’t it in the act of scoring like Sam T v Bradford.

I know Lockers was open to the line at the time

I thought the penalty was the right outcome.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

ancientnloyal wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:21 am With Lockers IMO he was too far out to be guaranteed a try. Isn’t it in the act of scoring like Sam T v Bradford.

I know Lockers was open to the line at the time

I thought the penalty was the right outcome.
There is a difference between a penalty try and an 8 point try.
If a foul is committed on the try scorer as the try is scored then the try can/should be awarded as an 8 point try (try, conversion then a penalty kick under the posts)
A penalty try can/should be awarded when foul play stops a certain try (like Powells v Wire)
*I think.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

DaveO wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 pm
Southern Softy wrote:Penalty overruled a knock-on I guess.
Nope. He didn’t give the knock on in the first place. That is why Hastings was whinging.
Not sure it's worth arguing about but he stopped play for the head injury, which he has to do, quite properly and when that was sorted, I'm assuming he would have restarted for the knock-on. Whatever Hastings said (and I've no idea what it was) meant that the ref decided it was worth a penalty straightaway.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

He had a clear and very short run to the line which was stopped by foul play,a penalty try all day long.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Southern Softy wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 pm
Southern Softy wrote:Penalty overruled a knock-on I guess.
Nope. He didn’t give the knock on in the first place. That is why Hastings was whinging.
Not sure it's worth arguing about but he stopped play for the head injury, which he has to do, quite properly and when that was sorted, I'm assuming he would have restarted for the knock-on. Whatever Hastings said (and I've no idea what it was) meant that the ref decided it was worth a penalty straightaway.
He didn’t give the knock on. He called time off just to deal with the injury. He should have blown the instant the player dropped the ball for a knock on. Then when it became apparent the player was groggy he could have stopped play continuing. Which as was pointed out by Mickw, is exactly what he did at Anfield.

If refs are going to ignore knock ons because the player appears injured we will have players dropping like flies every time they drop the ball!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I thought Lockers deserved a penalty try; the try-line was at his mercy, and although the Isa hit wasn't a high tackle as such, it could still be argued to be reckless because of the head-clash, and indiscipline by Hastings would trump the knock-on anyway.