Toronto Wolfpack Preview

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Toronto Wolfpack Preview

Post by josie andrews »

Everything you need to know for Thursday’s Round 3 Betfred Super League fixture between Wigan Warriors and Toronto Wolfpack at the DW Stadium.

The Brief

The 2020 Betfred Super League season continues as Wigan Warriors and Toronto Wolfpack meet each other for the first time at the DW Stadium on Thursday 13th February (7:45pm K.O.).

Since forming in 2016, the Canadian club have risen through the leagues, winning promotion to the Betfred Championship in 2017, before being triumphant in the 2019 Million Pound Game to gain Super League status.

And both Toronto and Wigan will be looking to get on track following recent defeats in the league. The Wolfpack are still hunting their first points in Super League following two consecutive losses, while the Warriors are aiming to respond from last week’s disappointment at Castleford Tigers.

Team News
Hooker Sam Powell misses out due to a head knock received in Round 1, which saw him miss out against Castleford Tigers last week. Jake Shorrocks also misses out this week, after featuring off the bench vs Castleford, with a calf strain.

Amir Bourouh and Joe Bullock both come in to the 21-man squad to replace Powell and Shorrocks.

In Monday’s press conference, Adrian Lam provided an update on forward Ben Flower: “Ben Flower has now got a back strain. He was going to come into the picture but now we’ve got to keep an eye on him.”

Prop-forward George Burgess misses out due to a hip injury.

Oliver Gildart continues his recovery from a dislocated shoulder picked up on international duty for Great Britain last Autumn.

The Opposition
When Toronto make their first trip to the DW Stadium on Thursday they will be without Sonny Bill Williams. The New Zealander has returned home to be present for the birth of his fourth child.

Did You Know?
This is the first meeting between Wigan and Toronto!

Here are a few head-to-head stats from the 2020 season so far:

The Stats
Skipper Sean O’Loughlin needs one appearance to reach 400 in Super League. The legendary loose forward made his 500th career appearance in last week’s loss at Castleford.

Joe Greenwood needs one appearance to reach 100 in Super League. The second row has played 31 times for Wigan (2018-2019) and 68 for St Helens (2012-2017).

Coach Quotes
Ahead Thursday’s game, Lam said: “Obviously we were disappointed with the performance (Castleford). We played poorly at times and I take full responsibility for that.

“It’s only a short turnaround, we’ve had a session today and we’ll have captain’s run on Wednesday. So not much time to fix it on the field, but I think it was a mentality issue that we need to readdress.”

“I thought they improved as a side last week when they played Salford. They’ll be looking for their first win in Super League and coming here, there’s no bigger team.

Match Officials
The referee for Thursday’s game is Chris Kendall. His touch judges are Jack Smith and Marcus Griffiths. The video referee is Robert Hicks.

Tickets
Tickets for the game are still on sale!

Prices start from:

£23 for Adults
£17 Over 60s
£16 16-21
£10 Juniors
Free U8s
How to buy

Buy online by clicking HERE.
Call the DW Stadium Ticket Office on 01942 311111

Visit the DW Stadium Ticket Office.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... ck-preview
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Toronto Wolfpack Preview

Post by josie andrews »

Sean O'Loughlin reveals he "definitely considered" Toronto Wolfpack move

If things had worked out differently, Sean O’Loughlin could very easily have been facing Wigan this week.

A small piece of club history will be made tomorrow night when the Warriors play their first ever match against Toronto Wolfpack.

And O’Loughlin – who chalked up his 500th career appearance last weekend – seriously considered to joining the Canadian outfit.

Rugby director Brian Noble, O’Loughlin’s old coach with Wigan and Great Britain, tried to lure him to the new club ahead of last season.

“I definitely considered it because it was an exciting prospect when you think what they could potentially do,” said O’Loughlin, who instead decided to extend his Wigan stay amid interest from Leeds Rhinos too.

“I spoke to Nobby (Noble) and he sold it to me really well. It was a little bit different to me because I wanted to be here and stay.

“But I had a chat and he’s delivered what he was saying to me back then.

“He said they’d get to Super League and talked about the backing behind them, and to be fair everything he said two years ago they’ve delivered on.

Family-wise it would have been a difficult move for me to do – it was an option and something I was weighing up. I take my hat off to them, they’ve come in, started at the bottom and built their way up with a strong side.”

Toronto’s presence in Super League has polarised opinion but O’Loughlin added: “You want them to bring something to the league and that’s something they’ve done.

“Toronto seem a genuine prospect that are coming into Super League and are going to have a genuine crack at it.

“They’ve obviously got financial backing behind them to do that and it’s exciting for us as a sport.

I know logistically it’s probably tough for people to plan them into the league. But commercially to have a team in Toronto is massive for the sport.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/sean-o ... 1-10252489
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan