Is Lam the real deal or not?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Is Lam the real deal or not?

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:I watched a couple of archive games this week on Wigan TV. One from the Noble era (Deacon in the halves) and one from the Madge era (ST in the halves). Neither produced champagne rugby, but in both cases a game plan was evident, both in attack and defence we looked like we knew what we were doing, ball-carrier had players in motion around him, pack had decent go-forward, etc. The contrast with the current set-up was stark.
I’m have just got back and that first half in particular was dire.

How many times did we on the third tackle turn the ball inside to a forward? I think I lost count. The next plays were therefore obvious to the opposition i.e. try and move the ball wide. We didn’t look like we had an idea. Just predictable. Play for 20 minutes like that v Hull and the game will be over in the first quarter.

We were indebted to some individual skills to get us on the score sheet and going but for at least 20 minutes we didn’t look like we had a clue what we were doing.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I was disappointed myself and like Dave said a few bits of individual play broke us away. The score flattered us.

Toronto (and most defences) know our attack and how to stop it. We are still boring in normal play.

We won yes but saw glimpses of a Hastings/French partnership
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Is Lam the real deal or not?

Post by DaveO »

ancientnloyal wrote: We won yes but saw glimpses of a Hastings/French partnership
That, Smith in the halves who looks very promising and Bullock and Clark were also positives.

The other problem thought was the defence. Time and again we stood off and just watched. Is this some sort of stupid tactic?

Toronto were offloading as easily as Wire. I think the worst bit was an attack of theirs down their left. One of our players puts the tackle in and stops the play but the rest just stand and watch. No one helped him compete the tackle. The result is their player wrestles free and gets rid of the ball!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

On the question of Lam... give it til Easter and ill make comment. I am usually quick to pass judgement but it’s been his off season, fresher team... I’m prepared to wait and see. S* He***s will be the acid test
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We're going to be a damn good team later this season. Thought we did a good job today.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I suppose in a classical way, we just wore them down and were able to let loose in the last 30. Very good in that last spell, but it's a hard watch to eventually get there !
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:47 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: We won yes but saw glimpses of a Hastings/French partnership
That, Smith in the halves who looks very promising and Bullock and Clark were also positives.

The other problem thought was the defence. Time and again we stood off and just watched. Is this some sort of stupid tactic?

Toronto were offloading as easily as Wire. I think the worst bit was an attack of theirs down their left. One of our players puts the tackle in and stops the play but the rest just stand and watch. No one helped him compete the tackle. The result is their player wrestles free and gets rid of the ball!
Their players shouldn't be able to wrestle free, they should be down on the deck. Our tactic of holding the opposition player up in the tackle to gain extra seconds to set our defensive line is outdated.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Our pack is simply not good enough. We are not creating the necessary room or our backs to play in.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:11 am Our pack is simply not good enough. We are not creating the necessary room or our backs to play in.
That just about sums it up.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:11 am Our pack is simply not good enough. We are not creating the necessary room or our backs to play in.
I thought Bullock looked great last night.

Id like to see the number of drives and meters gained for our forwards last night. Can almost guarantee Marshall and Burgess did more runs which shouldn’t be the case.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."