O’Loughlin hospitalised following eye injury!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: O’Loughlin hospitalised following eye injury!

Post by Barney841 »

I was hoping this injury would end his season and he would retire, doesn’t look like it though.
Don’t get me wrong I’m glad he’s gonna be fine but I just think he should of retired by now.
Loved him as a player and will go down a Wigan legend but he’s done now.
There’s is no running away from age, he’s that little abit slow now and gives too many penalties away
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:19 am
I was hoping this injury would end his season and he would retire, doesn’t look like it though.

Don’t get me wrong I’m glad he’s gonna be fine but I just think he should of retired by now.
Loved him as a player and will go down a Wigan legend but he’s done now.
There’s is no running away from age, he’s that little abit slow now and gives too many penalties away
That Is a disgusting thing to say!!

Not just about one of your own players but for any player to have a career ending injury!!

And your second highlighted comment does not in any way make up for the first!!
He could have been blinded or even worse lost his eye 😡

A player who has given 20 years for his home town club, playing the sport we follow, for our pleasure, is worthy of a lot more than the ingratiating comments you have come out with!

He is a club legend & will go down as one. There aren’t many players who will commit to playing for one club their entire career let alone their home town club.

He has been one of the best players not to have won MoS.

And, if you listen to coaches & players from here & abroad & ask them who they love to coach or play with the majority will tell you the one that comes straight to mind is Sean O’Loughlin, for his work ethic, his professionalism & his humility.

He is also a perfect role model for young players coming thru into our game.

So I think you need to reflect on what you have said about the man.

Yeah, yeah, you’re entitled to your opinion, but your comments are just unwarranted.

In my opinion!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Knew you’d take it the wrong way Josie. In what I’m saying is I’m glad it’s not serious, of course I don’t mean him bad will, I was just hoping he would rethink about playing again as he is still young and he wouldn’t want to have permanent damage into retirement
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whichever way you look at it Barney you got it wrong.

No genuine rugby league supporter wants to see a player retire through injury. Lockers has got a contract for this season and I would like to see him fulfil it and raise a couple of trophies above his head, it would be a fitting way for a legend of our club to retire.

Do I think he is the player he was? No. Do I think the club should have offered him a new contract? No. Do I think that Sean should have gone round one more time? No. The decision was made By IFL, Rads and Sean and therefore, like it or not, I will have to put up with it and hope for the best. One thing is certain, I will be supporting Lockers, has he has earned my respect.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:38 am Whichever way you look at it Barney you got it wrong.

No genuine rugby league supporter wants to see a player retire through injury. Lockers has got a contract for this season and I would like to see him fulfil it and raise a couple of trophies above his head, it would be a fitting way for a legend of our club to retire.

Do I think he is the player he was? No. Do I think the club should have offered him a new contract? No. Do I think that Sean should have gone round one more time? No. The decision was made By IFL, Rads and Sean and therefore, like it or not, I will have to put up with it and hope for the best. One thing is certain, I will be supporting Lockers, has he has earned my respect.
I get all that, believe I do. It would be great for him to go out on a grand final victory.
It’s just his negatives are outweighing his positives for me at the moment. He must give on average 3 penalties a game maybe more and that can cost us games. It did the other week against cas and I know O’Loughlin wasn’t the only one giving them away.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:38 am Whichever way you look at it Barney you got it wrong.

I think your assessment is spot on and was thinking exactly the same he does deserve our respect and last season swansong. And I'm bloody glad he's going to be fine.
DaveO

O’Loughlin hospitalised following eye injury!

Post by DaveO »

I think Barney phrased this pretty badly but I think I know where they are coming from. That is, given he has had such a serious injury it might give Lockers pause for thought about carrying on.

Plenty of players carry on into veteran status and seem fine until all of a sudden they have a setback due to injury and call it a day there and then putting their future physical health before that one last hurrah. I think this is what Barney was suggesting Lockers might do. Not that he’s actually glad he’s injured even it it does lead to Lockers reappraising whether he will carry on. Which by the way I don’t think he will. I think he will be back when the injury has cleared up.

As far as I know he isn’t carrying an injury like that which caused Sam Burgess to retire. Lockers eye injury was an accident and not due to age or a persistent chronic injury so I don’t agree with Barney’s premise anyway but I think some slack needs to be cut as I can see the point being made even if I don’t agree.

As to has Lockers carried on too long anyway, that’s a different debate.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Barney841 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:21 am Knew you’d take it the wrong way Josie. In what I’m saying is I’m glad it’s not serious, of course I don’t mean him bad will, I was just hoping he would rethink about playing again as he is still young and he wouldn’t want to have permanent damage into retirement

Not a very good post Barney.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yeah, I'll go with that.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

old hooker wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:43 pm
Barney841 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:21 am Knew you’d take it the wrong way Josie. In what I’m saying is I’m glad it’s not serious, of course I don’t mean him bad will, I was just hoping he would rethink about playing again as he is still young and he wouldn’t want to have permanent damage into retirement

Not a very good post Barney.
My opinion. Could of been worded better I know that. Just want the best for the team