Bowen my inspiration: French

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Bowen my inspiration: French

Post by josie andrews »

Bevan French on playing at full-back for Wigan Warriors.

Full-back has scored three tries in the opening three rounds of the new Betfred Super League season.

French: “My main goal individually is trying to be the best full-back I can be.”

After cementing a spot at full-back in the opening rounds of the 2020 season, Australian star Bevan French admits he looked up to and now attempts to model ex Wigan Warriors No.1 Matty Bowen.

Since arriving at the Club last July, French has nine tries in 11 appearances under Adrian Lam with three of those touchdowns coming in the first three games of the new Betfred Super League campaign.

And whilst setting high standards for himself, the 24-year-old believes he still has a lot to improve on after moving into the full-back position and replacing Zak Hardaker, who is currently playing in the centres.

French said: “My main goal individually is trying to be the best full-back I can be. Those sort of players, if you look at all the greats in the past, pop up in the right places at the right times, so that’s something I want to improve on moving forward. Fitness levels have got to be up to scratch and that’s something I will continue to work on this season.

“It’s about being more present on the ball and in the moment. The one (full-back) I related to the most was Matty Bowen and he was here (at Wigan) too. He was always quick off the mark and had a little big body and I try and take things out of his game into mine. Billy Slater too - the greatest of all time - I try and take what he’s done. I don’t think it comes down to one - you try and study a bit of what everyone has done.”

French has been voted the Sponsors Man of the Match for Wigan’s two opening home games so far and he says things can only get better with combinations, involving himself and his teammates, starting to take shape.

“There’s a few players in the squad that I look to build a few combinations with. Me, Jackson (Hastings) and Faz (Liam Farrell) are starting to form a little relationship on the edge and Lockers (Sean O’Loughlin) is another one I want to try and work on a bit more through the middle, but that will come over time.

“After pre-season we are still working out all the combinations. For me personally, I’m a lot more confident now after having done all the hard work in pre-season. Everyone knows their role and it showed on Thursday as we scored some points.”

Reflecting on Thursday’s win over Toronto Wolfpack, the full-back admits the Warriors are edging closer to where they want to be as a team.

“We were happy we came away with the two points but every week is a learning curve, so we have to take out what we’ve learned from this week and move forward.

“We’re not far off from we’re we want to be. The goal is to get an 80-minute game or close to that and then do that consistently.”

Tickets are now on sale for Wigan’s next home fixture as they welcome Hull FC to the DW Stadium. For more information, click HERE. https://wiganwarriors.com/news/2020-02- ... icket-info

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... ion-french
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Re: Bowen my inspiration: French

Post by Wintergreen »

Bloody hell, I hope he doesn't want to be like Matty Bowen............ :shock: :o
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:52 pm Bloody hell, I hope he doesn't want to be like Matty Bowen............ :shock: :o
Matty Bowen was class. We got him at the end of his career after he had had major surgery on both his knees (reconstruction on one) and he was class in superleague.

In his two season he got a better superleague highlight reel than most players do in ten years.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Agreed. i remember watching him with JT at the Cowboys in his prime. A wonderful footballer. And not too dusty for Wigan for an old fella.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I agree on both points, its fair to say you clearly see Bowen was coming to the end of his playing days at Wigan but I think he created some special moments in the cherryandwhite jersey. It was always going to be difficult for anyone replacing Sam after his 2013 form, two quality players, two very different styles!
PorterjohLam

Post by PorterjohLam »

Bowen was a good player! I'd be more worried if he'd said Desi Williams or Paul Koloi
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

PorterjohLam wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:29 am Bowen was a good player! I'd be more worried if he'd said Desi Williams or Paul Koloi
Bowen was a fine player and still ripped it up in superleague
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure