Lam previews Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Lam previews Hull FC

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam previews Wigan’s Betfred Super League Round 4 tie with Hull FC

“We’ll respect them for who they are and know that we’ve got to be at our best.” Lam

Wigan Warriors vs Hull FC, Sunday 23rd February, DW Stadium, K.O. 3pm

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Adrian Lam expects to face a “really strong team” on Sunday When Hull FC visit the DW Stadium in Round 4 of the Betfred Super League.

FC head into the fixture off the back of a defeat to 2019 champions Saints, while Lam’s men will arrive at home following a win last Thursday over Toronto.

Looking back at the victory, the head coach said, “It was a solid win. Toronto played well and completed high. They turned up, had a go and had we’d been off our discipline like the week before it could have been tough for us.”

He also discussed the return of Joe Bullock, who hadn’t played for the Cherry & Whites since July 2019 after picking up a knee injury vs St Helens.

“It was great, He’s a player that we need in our 17, he brings something different to everyone else with his size and leg speed of his carries.”

There was also time to reflect on the debut of Mitch Clark. “I was really happy for Mitch. He’s worked really hard in the off-season and he’s going to continue to work hard.

“He certainly brought a different angle for us on the night. They found him a hard man to handle. That’s what he’s capable of, he’s just got to maintain that every week.”

Sunday’s opposition are tied with Wigan, Huddersfield, Castleford and St Helens at the top of the table with four points (Huddersfield have one game in hand) from three games.

Lee Radford’s side head into the fixture off the back of a defeat away to Saints, who sit top of the table on points difference (+35).

“They’ve got a pretty big and experienced side, and if you give them an inch they could win all of their games this year, they’re a really strong team.

“We’ll respect them for who they are and know that we’ve got to be at our best. It’s a home game for us at the start of the year, so it’s really important that we play well and give ourselves a chance to win the game.”

The 21-man squad to face Hull FC won’t be announced until Friday 21st at 12pm, however, the Head Coach did provide some indications on which players could make a return from injury.

“There’s just some players who are 50/50, Ben Flower, Dom Manfredi and George Burgess. It’s an extra long week this week with a Thursday-Sunday turnaround, so we are going to give them one more session to get right.”

In injury news, Lam provided an update on club captain Sean O’Loughlin, who left the field after being caught in the eye by Hakim Maloudi vs Toronto Wolfpack last week.

“There was a fair bit of bleeding behind the eye and that can be a dangerous one. He’s starting to get some vision back in it now. He could be out for one-to-four weeks really. Just wait and see with that one really.”

Grab your tickets for Sunday’s Betfred Super League clash vs Hull FC at the DW Stadium HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/news/2020-02- ... ws-hull-fc
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Re: Lam previews Hull FC

Post by ancientnloyal »

Imo our first big test to see where we are at.

The forwards are key. Sneyd will kick us to death
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I can't see how Lammy is considering playing Flower when he's not played in preseason or any of the reserve games. George isn't really any less of a risk and Dom needs another reserve game. Play Bullock, Clarke, Byrne and one or two from Partington and Havard. He can then decide if he has Smith on the bench and or another e.g. Jack Wells. With the players that Hull have missing this is a difficult game but one that we should be expecting to win.
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

I find it strange Lam hasn't mentioned Hankinson in his pre match previews, he talks about most of the other 1st team squad members, although he has been in the 21 man squad, he hasn't had a start yet, it's not as if Bibby or Hardaker are setting the world on fire, are they?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I thought that too, it seems to be taken as read that Bibby is preferable to Hank. I don't see that as a foregone conclusion, certainly.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

moto748 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:28 am I thought that too, it seems to be taken as read that Bibby is preferable to Hank. I don't see that as a foregone conclusion, certainly.
Bibby is doing fine, he is better than hankinson.

Hankinson would make a good stand in at 2nd row if isa gets injured
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:13 am
moto748 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:28 am I thought that too, it seems to be taken as read that Bibby is preferable to Hank. I don't see that as a foregone conclusion, certainly.

Cant agree that doing fine is ok and that makes him better

Hank was doing fine last yr but Lam had his favourites

When Gilly gets back and because bibby is doing fine, he'll keep the position?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Bibby will be much more comfortable in the right centre position....... hank is a good back up player but not sure about the second row position....... its size that we desperatly need in the back row imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

jackthelad wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:01 am
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:13 am

Cant agree that doing fine is ok and that makes him better

Hank was doing fine last yr but Lam had his favourites

When Gilly gets back and because bibby is doing fine, he'll keep the position?
Bibby has pace that hank doesnt, as he build his partnership with burgess he will get better. VS WP bibby did well.

Hankinson is a bit of a battering ram centre he breaks a few tackle but has no pace.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Hanks played right side 2nd row at Salford last season with Zac at right centre.
I'd have no issue if Lam played him there again. He does add size too.