Backrow replacements?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Backrow replacements?

Post by southportcdm »

Relieved to see that Faz didn't pick up a ban for that nonsense on Sunday but it made me think about what we'd have done if he had been banned with Lockers still out. We're lucky in that both Faz and Isa can play the whole game but they're unlikely to be available all season and even if fit, would benefit from a break now and again. With Greenwood looking unlikely to make the starting 17 any time soon (does he deserve first choice?), who would we replace Faz or Isa with? I know some favour Hanky or moving Partington to 10 or 11 but what about one of the reserves e.g. Jack Wells? There should be some games where Lammy could have one of these players on the bench so they're not thrown in for a full match in an emergency. Any thoughts or comments about suitability and recent form (not seen who went well vs saints) would be welcome.
Gerrumonside

Re: Backrow replacements?

Post by Gerrumonside »

Flood the pack with props!!! :x

Think Lam will do some rotation with the team and would hope he plays Jack and our new signing Kai at some point but both Faz and Isa are in good form at the moment....
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

There's a lad in the reserves James McDonnell and I think he's a back rower and looks very impressive.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Jack Wells deserves a go, he was starting to break into the first team when he got a bad injury. Joe Greenwood if he can get his mind right, he is a very big unit and a devastating runner when at his best. Another lad that people should keep their eye on is Ben Kilner (who can also play prop), Ben like Jack got a bad injury but he is now getting some reserve games under his belt and I expect him to be in the first team frame before the season is out. It would be good to get a good home draw in the cup and give some of these lads the chance to express themselves.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Greenwood should be pushing for a place surely by now. As mentioned we have a few good quality kids available to us also I don’t think it’d be an issue if we lost faz or Isa for a game or two.

Greenwood needs to perform, he’s on a chunk £ too but hopefully he’ll be nearly there soon
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

The obvious choice of Hanky stepping up to back row comes to mind, he is not going to be used in the centres by the looks of things, he has previously shown he is capable and has the value of cover for centre position, he would be a better option than Isa in the event of injuries during games
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Ive got a sneaky feeling oli partington will be pushed into the back row as cover....... especially once burgess and flower are fit
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

There's Joe Shorrocks too, once he gets over his ban.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Hanks played right side 2nd row at Salford last year and Zac was right centre. We won!
I'd be happy with Hankinson to replace either Farrell or Isa should injury or suspension occur.
Big lad and very mobile.
Should Zac have an off day with the boot there's a ready made quality goal kicker too.
Following Hanks there's Jack Wells and James McDonnell, both of who look impressive in the reserves.
PorterjohLam

Post by PorterjohLam »

Hopefully Jack Wells gets a go.