Greenwood to Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Greenwood to Leeds

Post by DaveO »

jao711 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:06 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:37 am Greenwood is superb on his day and certainly offers more than Isa (overall)…...that said, shame the lad is very fragile and hampered with injuries left, right and centre!

Agreed we certainly are lightweight in the backrows (bit concerning this)!
Well than Cheshire, if you haven’t watched the video of the Hull game then I recommend it.Then tell me that Greenwood is a better player than Willie Isa who had his usual 100 % game as he did in EVERY game Weplayed last year.JG started well for us but drifted away mid season and has hardly shown up since.A big disappointment to me as I expected much more. I think the change will be good for both parties.Meanwhile i will be happy with a player we can always rely on.That’s why he gets selected.
Greenwood is obviously out of favour and presumably out of form given he's not played for us this (so its a bit hard to judge) but when he arrived and played on his favoured left side with Bateman on the other, we had the best pair of 2nd rows in the league. He was doing stuff in the run up to and including the GF that Isa simply isn't good enough to do.

As to Isa giving 100% in every game last year, what about when it mattered in the playoffs where he was quite frankly poor?

I am a bit fed up of players who behave a like a Duracell Bunny being hailed as such good players. Sarge was one. Isa is another.
saint

Post by saint »

A strange decision .Your pack is depleted as it is. Ok , he is out of form but the job of a coach is to bring out the qualities in a player which he clearly has .

Unless of course this is all a plan to bring in a couple forwards i cant see any benefit from this. Bizarre to say the least.

Even out of form, id be confident he could produce more than Tony Clubb, Bullock , flower and Even O’Loughlin .

Being Reliant on Partington and smithies is a high risk strategy .
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think your stretching it to say Willie Isa gave 100% in EVERY game in 2019! What I'm saying is that when both Greenwood and Isa are on the top of each others game, Greenwood is far more effective and offers more going forwards. The problem is that Greenwood didn't drift away at all, he simply became and still is very injury prone! Willie Isa isn't poor, he is simply a work horse but is above average at best! Isa is averagely consistent but Wigan deserve more! Hopefully Greenwood gets back to match fitness and returns to his old form!
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

DaveO wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:20 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:37 am Greenwood is superb on his day and certainly offers more than Isa (overall)…...that said, shame the lad is very fragile and hampered with injuries left, right and centre!

Well than Cheshire, if you haven’t watched the video of the Hull game then I recommend it.Then tell me that Greenwood is a better player than Willie Isa who had his usual 100 % game as he did in EVERY game Weplayed last year.JG started well for us but drifted away mid season and has hardly shown up since.A big disappointment to me as I expected much more. I think the change will be good for both parties.Meanwhile i will be happy with a player we can always rely on.That’s why he gets selected.
Greenwood is obviously out of favour and presumably out of form given he's not played for us this (so its a bit hard to judge) but when he arrived and played on his favoured left side with Bateman on the other, we had the best pair of 2nd rows in the league. He was doing stuff in the run up to and including the GF that Isa simply isn't good enough to do.

As to Isa giving 100% in every game last year, what about when it mattered in the playoffs where he was quite frankly poor?

I am a bit fed up of players who behave a like a Duracell Bunny being hailed as such good players. Sarge was one. Isa is another.
Agree with you DaveO. Think Greenwood needed to be given a run. Without a doubt has more going forward than Isa. And that is what we need at the moment imo.

Think if he comes back up to match fitness then we could have him back. Although I saw a comment on social media (I think) that he had a bust up last season and isn't up for consideration anyway.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Isa was not poor in the playoff DaveO and a run of games for Greenwood? Why? Why should he get better treatment than others, he was played last year when he came back and did nothing so has only played friendlies and reserves this year and again shown nothing.

I agree that Greenwood is a much better player than Isa on his day but you pick on form and currently Greenwood is showing none.

Manfredi come in and played well in his first game but if he had been poor would you want him to have a run of games or to bring burgess back in?

Would it bother you if we lost games because Greenwood was having his Run of games to get back into it?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

The interesting ? for me is what the Club plan if he plays every game once he gets back fit.
Will we want him back at Wigan if he cracks it at Leeds, how will Lamb then explain why he doesn't want him back in our team.
Interesting 2 months in front of us.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

DaveO wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:20 pm

[/quote.
The point is Greenwood played 21 games last year and showed few signs of form,Isa”turns up” every game .Coaches love players they can always rely on .Greenwoods purple patch was in 2018. By semi final time last year the whole squad were looking a bit second hand.”Duracell Bunny” is an unpleasant if not arrogant way te describe a hard working professional. Folau was sacked because someone “felt offended”at what he posted.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Little doubt people have an agenda where players such Isa are concerned,despite doing a job week in week out it’s never good enough,

Greenwood for me has bags of talent but simply hasn’t shown anywhere near the form he is capable of,I doubt we shall see him play for Wigan again certainly while Lam is in charge but we shall see.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam explains why loan spell will benefit Joe Greenwood

Adrian Lam has insisted Joe Greenwood still has a future with Wigan.

The England back-rower is set to make his Leeds debut tonight at home to Warrington in front of the Sky Sports cameras after moving to the Yorkshire outfit on loan.

Greenwood dropped out of the Warriors frame at the end of last season – having been disrupted by a series of injury lay-offs – and hasn’t played in Lam’s side in 2020.

He has featured in the reformed Reserves competition but Lam believes a stint at the Rhinos will give him the best chance of reclaiming the type of form which earned him England honours in 2018.

I think the best way for Joe to get back to his best is by playing Super League – and that’s why we’ve not made it a year-long loan,” said Lam.

By playing Super League, he’ll be around better players than if he stayed here and played reserves, he’ll get to the level he needs to be.

“We’ve not forgotten about Joe – he’s got another year here too, I believe – so we want to let him get fit and add him to the puzzle. With Liam Farrell and Willie Isa doing so well, it’d be hard for him to get a start right now.

“There’s an opportunity for him to play long minutes there and he’s on loan for eight weeks and hopefully playing Super League will keep him in good shape as opposed to playing reserves or part-time off the bench for us. It benefits the club. We’re going to be watching him closely and hoping he goes really well.”

Greenwood’s departure on loan also frees up some space under the salary cap, with his wages removed from Wigan’s bill for the duration of his loan.

Romain Navarrete (Wakefield), Jack Wells, Ben Kilner (Toronto), Josh Woods and Craig Mullen (Leigh) are also out on loan.

Wells is also a back-rower but Lam doesn’t believe they are light in that area should injuries or suspensions bite.

Morgan Smithies, currently deputising for Sean O’Loughlin at No.13, can play on the edge while centres Chris Hankinson and Jake Bibby are also familiar with that role.

“We can’t hold Joe back from playing full-time somewhere on the fact of what may happen,” added Lam. “Touch wood he comes back to us in eight weeks playing well.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... od-2003381
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Anyone know why Greenwood didn’t play last night?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?