Where’s Wigan’s offload gone.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Where’s Wigan’s offload gone.

Post by morley pie eater »

ancientnloyal wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:57 pm Yeh but stats don’t mean anything would be my response
:lol: :lol: :lol:
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pearsy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:13 pm I was thinking the exact same thing if the forwards got the offloads into there game French and Hastings would rack up some points.This could be a Wane thing with young fowards been taught to hit the ground and get a quick play the ball?
As I have said before the Waney way is too engraned into certain players and is making Lammys task a hard one
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

medlocke wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:52 pm
pearsy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:13 pm I was thinking the exact same thing if the forwards got the offloads into there game French and Hastings would rack up some points.This could be a Wane thing with young fowards been taught to hit the ground and get a quick play the ball?
As I have said before the Waney way is too engraned into certain players and is making Lammys task a hard one
Clarke, Burgess and Bullock should be offloading plenty by that yardstick then.
SJ

Post by SJ »

ian.birchall wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:30 pm I was wondering that exactly myself.

It's obviously been"off loaded, I guess Ian😎
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Im not sure i agree we've ever had a strong offload game so its not really that its gone its just never really been there for a while.

People talk about offloading as if its something you have to do - its a more or a playing tactic that a team either use or dont, you dont need to offload to be effective.

Saints props arent big offloaders they run hard find their feet and produce a quick ruck. Leeds and wire have always had an offloading game plan but again you need to build your tactics around that

Maguire nearly stopped our offloading altogether when he was here and you can see the logic its quite high risk, yes it can pay off but really youre better if you can promoting a quick play of the ball which is done by going to ground and finding your feet
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:27 pm What worries me is not our offloading game but the fact that the opposition seem to do it for fun. We need to stop the wrestle whilst holding a player up and wrestle when the player is grounded.
It is about finding balance.

2-3 players in the tackle, holding upright is a ploy to slow play down, allow defence to set and not allow quick POTB.

The quicker a player hits the floor, the quicker he can play the ball and the attacking team have a chance to catch a defensive line offside / not set etc. Referees do not really allow much holding time so this tactic would only really work if they have been slowed down to some extent on the feet.

I think what needs to happen, and this is high level and stating the obvious, is secure the ball to stop the offload whilst slowing play down during a standing wrestle.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

We're not used to offloading passing out of the tackle or backing up and being ready for any offloads.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:14 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:45 pm To counteract the offload argument , Wigan have made more clean breaks than any other team, I believe they've also thrown most passes. The team with most offloads is sitting at the bottom of the table.
Good post, NSDU . . . . but you'll surely get the usual "Stats don't mean anything" responses :lol:
If you looked at the top of the offloading table - which I think caused the OP to post the comments, it clearly shows at least three Toronto players in the top ten for offloading. Seeing as they are currently bottom of the table it DOES prove that stats are meaningless doesn't it? Taken into context with their missed tackles/penalties conceded/errors etc then you can see that offloading in itself is not a useful statistic to decide how well a team is playing or not

SO stats are meaningless. As the saying goes, there are lies, damned lies and then their are statistics :lol:
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wire made a lot more offlads than Leeds tonight, that's what we need. :D
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:14 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:45 pm To counteract the offload argument , Wigan have made more clean breaks than any other team, I believe they've also thrown most passes. The team with most offloads is sitting at the bottom of the table.
Good post, NSDU . . . . but you'll surely get the usual "Stats don't mean anything" responses [emoji38]
If you looked at the top of the offloading table - which I think caused the OP to post the comments, it clearly shows at least three Toronto players in the top ten for offloading. Seeing as they are currently bottom of the table it DOES prove that stats are meaningless doesn't it? Taken into context with their missed tackles/penalties conceded/errors etc then you can see that offloading in itself is not a useful statistic to decide how well a team is playing or not

SO stats are meaningless. As the saying goes, there are lies, damned lies and then their are statistics [emoji38]
It's a great one to determine how much a team offloads though!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐