Wells & Kilner loaned to Toronto

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wells & Kilner loaned to Toronto

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors’ Ben Kilner and Jack Wells have joined Toronto Wolfpack on a one-month loan with immediate effect.

A Under 19s Grand Final winner with Wigan in 2018, prop-forward Kilner will link-up with the Wolfpack having previously represented Leigh Centurions on a season-long loan in the Championship in 2019.

Back-rower Jack Wells, also heads to Brian McDermott’s side with immediate effect. Wells has made 13 appearances for the Cherry and White’s since his debut vs Wakefield Trinity at the age of 18 in 2016 and he spent last season on-loan with the Warriors’ dual-reg partners, Swinton Lions.

Wigan Warriors executive director, Kris Radlinski: “Both Ben (Kilner) and Jack (Wells) have impressed us during the offseason with their efforts and application. This opportunity has presented itself for them both to experience Super League rugby and get some much needed game-time, which we believe will beneficial for all parties concerned. They’re two promising forwards, who will benefit from time on the pitch and under Brian McDermott they have a great coach to work under.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... to-toronto
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Re: Wells & Kilner loaned to Toronto

Post by southportcdm »

I was hoping that Jack was going to get a start for us soon but I suppose it's only for a month for now and both lads will benefit from the experience. If they can help Toronto get their first victory that's a win, win for me. Let's just hope we don't lose Willie or Faz to injury in the next couple of weeks.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Does anyone think that the departure of both Greenwood and Wells suggest that we may have a mid season import lined up? Just thinking hypothetically, if Isa or Faz are injured against Huddersfield, how much strength in depth do we have to cover 11 or 12 (excluding Smithies or moving Partington or Byrne)?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:10 pm Does anyone think that the departure of both Greenwood and Wells suggest that we may have a mid season import lined up? Just thinking hypothetically, if Isa or Faz are injured against Huddersfield, how much strength in depth do we have to cover 11 or 12 (excluding Smithies or moving Partington or Byrne)?
i was thinking exactly the same...... i reckon we got somebody to announce very soon fingers crossed
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:13 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:10 pm Does anyone think that the departure of both Greenwood and Wells suggest that we may have a mid season import lined up? Just thinking hypothetically, if Isa or Faz are injured against Huddersfield, how much strength in depth do we have to cover 11 or 12 (excluding Smithies or moving Partington or Byrne)?
i was thinking exactly the same...... i reckon we got somebody to announce very soon fingers crossed
Either that or we are over cap and using this to bring us under

My worry if it is an import would be that the reason for it is burgess is a duffer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Thought Kilner was a prop. We have plenty of those.
As for who'd replace Faz or Isa should they get an injury or cop a ban then Hankinson is the obvious one to me. Played back row before and is big and mobile.

Best of luck to both lads, SL experience will do them good.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

How many of our loaners have ever come back to our first team. Answers on a postcard or even possibly the stamp on the postcard.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

ian.birchall wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:23 pm How many of our loaners have ever come back to our first team. Answers on a postcard or even possibly the stamp on the postcard.
Charnley and Sarge are the only ones i can think of
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:35 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:13 pm
Either that or we are over cap and using this to bring us under

My worry if it is an import would be that the reason for it is burgess is a duffer

Another explanation could be that due to the rapid development of guts like Smithies, Smith, Byrne, Partington and Havard, the club want to keep some spare room for when the inevitable contract talks come up. Most of those guys have recently signed new deals but at that age, if they continue to play as well as they are and develop, their agents will look for further increases.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:34 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:23 pm How many of our loaners have ever come back to our first team. Answers on a postcard or even possibly the stamp on the postcard.
Charnley and Sarge are the only ones i can think of
Gildart, Farrell Marshall, Joel Tomkins.
Last edited by No straw damn us on Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.