Why George Burgess and Ben Flower may go straight back into Wigan Warriors action

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Why George Burgess and Ben Flower may go straight back into Wigan Warriors action

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam will throw both George Burgess and Ben Flower back into frontline action this weekend - if they are passed fit.

He says marquee recruit Burgess is "highly likely" for the trip to Huddersfield, having missed the last three games with a hip injury aggravated on his Super League debut.

Flower has not figured at all and while his chances are rated at 50-50, he will go straight into the squad if he gets the green light.

Lam says he has yet to decide which of the props from their last game - a 26-12 win against Hull FC - would make way.

He said: "George has to train every session and he has done so far, he's highly likely to play.

"Benny is 50-50, if it's not this week it'll be next week."

The reserves have no game this weekend and Flower has not played at all - including any pre-season friendlies - since last season.

But Lam has no reservations about putting the Welshman, 32, straight back into top-line action if he has fully recovered from his back strain.

"When he's ready I think he's earned the right here to come straight back in," the coach continued.

"He's a senior figure and he's highly-respected by his team-mates, and when he's ready to come back in I think he will."

Asked who will miss out, he replied: "I don't know yet, and it's difficult because I like Ethan Havard, too, and he's missed the last two games. But it's good to have the competition."

Lam will name his provisional 21-man squad tomorrow.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... on-1999032
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Re: Why George Burgess and Ben Flower may go straight back into Wigan Warriors action

Post by DaveO »

Some of us have been begging for the reserves to return to ease players back and get them more match fit to come back and then Lam come out with this? :roll:
jobo

Re: Why George Burgess and Ben Flower may go straight back into Wigan Warriors action

Post by jobo »

DaveO wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:13 pm Some of us have been begging for the reserves to return to ease players back and get them more match fit to come back and then Lam come out with this? :roll:
It's a puzzle. 1 or 2, maybe even 3 games in the reserves would surely benefit both Flower and Burgess you'd think.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

jobo wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:16 pm
DaveO wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:13 pm Some of us have been begging for the reserves to return to ease players back and get them more match fit to come back and then Lam come out with this? :roll:
It's a puzzle. 1 or 2, maybe even 3 games in the reserves would surely benefit both Flower and Burgess you'd think.
I will sign up to your views as well. Unless there are injuries then stick with a winning team. If Lam deploys this strategy then he will lose the confidence of players who have earned their spot.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:05 pm
I will sign up to your views as well. Unless there are injuries then stick with a winning team. If Lam deploys this strategy then he will lose the confidence of players who have earned their spot.
Im sorry to disagree with you all bit while yes we are winning its because of our backs. Our pack has been second best every week with only Bullock and Clarke giving us go forward we need either flower or burgess to comeback and give us a bit more. (If they can)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
jobo wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:16 pm It's a puzzle. 1 or 2, maybe even 3 games in the reserves would surely benefit both Flower and Burgess you'd think.
Im sorry to disagree with you all bit while yes we are winning its because of our backs. Our pack has been second best every week with only Bullock and Clarke giving us go forward we need either flower or burgess to comeback and give us a bit more. (If they can)
But Burgess got slagged off, as did Lam for picking him, when he was clearly not fit.

I don’t disagree we need them in the side but when they are fit and we have the reserves to help get them fit.

It’s also a question of who he drops. Will Clubb be in again meaning one or both of Bullock and Clarke will be dropped?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:11 pm
Caboosegg wrote:

But Burgess got slagged off, as did Lam for picking him, when he was clearly not fit.

I don’t disagree we need them in the side but when they are fit and we have the reserves to help get them fit.

It’s also a question of who he drops. Will Clubb be in again meaning one or both of Bullock and Clarke will be dropped?
Clubb must only be playing because we need him to, hes a shadow of a player at the moment and looks so slow im really hope hes carrying an injury (only to explain it)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

It would be a travesty if Clarke was dropped for either Flower or Burgess. Clarke in my opinion has been the only forward to have really bossed it for us when on the field. He really knows how to run the ball in, something a lot of our forwards really need to learn to do.

Matt
shaunedwardsfanclub

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:08 pm

That's fine, it is what debate is all about. I have no problem with Burgess or Flower returning to the team I just want them to prove their fitness and be selected on merit. Lam should not be in the business of dropping players because others may now be fit they should warrant selection and not be chosen because of their reputations.
shaunedwardsfanclub

DaveO wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:11 pm
Caboosegg wrote:

I wouldn't have a problem with Burgess or Flower replacing Clubb.