Why George Burgess and Ben Flower may go straight back into Wigan Warriors action

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Re: Why George Burgess and Ben Flower may go straight back into Wigan Warriors action

Post by southportcdm »

I agree, Burgess or Flower could replace Clubb. Playing both George and Ben this week would be a risk especially if Tony plays too. Bullock and Clarke should both play, they've played in the reserves, earned their place and did well last week. I hope that Harry Smith gets another game but is used to rest Tommy rather than just get ten minutes at the end of the game.
CheshireWarrior

Re: Why George Burgess and Ben Flower may go straight back into Wigan Warriors action

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Not the biggest fan of Tony Clubb but I must admit, I genuinely think the guy is still struggling with match fitness like the majority of the 2019 season! Certainly shouldn't be starting games and we have too much depth for him to be an impact prop!
I do think Ben Flower would offer far more in the front row and hopefully the loss of his squad number will infuse him more to come back better (as he himself has stated) and he needs to play sooner rather than later!
As for Burgess, despite the fact he had a lengthy ban, the fact he is a seasoned NRL forward and has played consistently at a higher level make me a little concerned regarding his debut match fitness (depending on the extent of his injury).
I think Partington and Byrne (our youth) are looking very promising for the future but I think resting them now and again will benefit us towards the back end of the season.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Burgess and Flower have been/are injured and not available for selection.
Clubb is starting IMO as he's a big man and experienced which is what Lam is possibly looking for. Trouble is Clubb appears to be injured too but is putting his hand up to play. Against Hull he had a good first stint of 20 mins and was busy and very useful.
Partington gives his all as starting prop and how Lam plays him is up to the coach. When Bullock and Clark came on they were both very good and this power from the bench meant to me that our pack was able to hold its own against a big HFC set of forwards.
Perhaps a couple of weeks out from now both Burgess and Flower will be starting giving Clubb time to get fully fit and allow Partington some bench or rest time.

We won the Hull game IMO due to the pack holding its own and our better halves and backs winning us the game.

Lam needs to keep a big starting couple of props with powerful interchanges when they take the field. This is what he appears is trying to do.
I reckon our halves and backs are as good as any in SL and better then most. If the pack can do their bit then we have a very good chance of winning most games.