Big week: Farrell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Big week: Farrell

Post by josie andrews »

Liam Farrell looks ahead to Wigan Warriors’ trip to Huddersfield Giants on Sunday afternoon.

Farrell: “This is the challenge we need.”

Huddersfield Giants vs Wigan Warriors (John Smith’s Stadium, Sunday 1st March, K.O. 3pm).

Liam Farrell believes Sunday’s game away to Huddersfield Giants is the test Wigan Warriors ‘need’.

Adrian Lam’s side travel to the John Smith’s Stadium this weekend to take on the only unbeaten side in the Betfred Super League so far this season.

Farrell said: “It’s a big week because they’ve not lost yet and we’re on a pretty good run. This is the challenge that we need, they’ve got a big pack which they’re using to their advantage, so it will be a pretty tough game.”

The 29-year-old could see Huddersfield were building last season and has been impressed by how they’ve started the current campaign.

“They got a new coach (Simon Woolford) who knew where he wanted to be and has now got them structured very well, especially with the new players they’ve signed. It’ll be a tough job for us but individually we need to match up to them to give ourselves a good shot.”

After a Thursday-Friday turnaround for last week’s game against Hull FC and a full week to prepare for the trip to Huddersfield this week, the second-row believes having time to prepare for games is a positive at this stage of the season.

“We’ve had a long turn around this week, and before the last game we had ten days, so it’s given us a lot of time to freshen up the bodies. It’s really good for us at the moment because it gives us a lot of preparation time on the field to make our plays a bit crisper.”

Farrell has been pleased with the week-on-week improvement from the Wigan side after three wins from the opening four games in the Betred Super League.

“We’ve got progressively better each week, we’ve improved our percentages and have been really good. In the first game against Warrington we were a bit scratchy but there were good signs.

“We’ve just got to fix up a few areas regarding penalties but once we’ve fixed that we’re grinding down teams pretty well, so the more we do that, the more we can threaten.”

Farrell is also happy by how he has been linking up with his teammates in the opening weeks.

“We’ve got a pretty good combination going on the left side with a few of us. Jackson (Hastings) is doing well so I’m playing off him, whilst Bevan (French) has been really good, but it’s about just continuing to knuckle down.”

He is also currently enjoying his testimonial year and has been delighted with the support.

“It’s been good so far, I had the game and then the dinner, which a lot of fans turned up to so I was really happy. I’ve taken a backwards step now the games have started, but a big thanks to the committee because they’ve been absolutely outstanding and I’m looking forward to the rest of the year.”

Grab tickets and book travel to Wigan’s away trip to face Huddersfield Giants on Sunday 1st March by clicking HERE.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... ek-farrell
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan