Wigan Warriors ace Bevan French embracing the pressure

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors ace Bevan French embracing the pressure

Post by josie andrews »

Bevan French insists he will thrive under pressure after lighting up the early stages of the Super League season.

The Wigan full-back has been one of the eye-catching stars from the first four rounds.

French doesn’t crave the media attention, frequently praising team-mates for doing their roles well, but he is comfortable under the spotlight as they aim to move top of the table with victory at Huddersfield on Sunday.

“I don’t mind the pressure, it makes you better,” said the 24-year-old.

“You can either crumble under it, or embrace it and improve.

I set high standards of myself, my main focus is to maintain those.”

The ex-Parramatta player, a late addition last season, has switched to full-back this year in a move which has shifted Zak Hardaker to right centre. He has earned plenty of plaudits from team-mates – as well as gushing praise from many fans.

“Those things come but I don’t look too much into it... if it’s out there, so be it,” he said.

“Collectively we’re doing a good job getting to the right points on the field, when everyone else is doing their jobs it makes it easier for me.”

French has scored four tries in as many games and claimed maximum Man of Steel points for his eye-catching display in the 26-12 win against Hull FC last Sunday.

One leading bookmaker has him as the 4/1 favourite to land the game’s most coveted individual award, even at this early stage.

He has been pleased with their start to the campaign, which has seen them claim three wins from four, but warned: “You have to look to improve every week.

“If we think we’ve had a good game one week, other teams will do their homework on us and those same things won’t work. So we need to come up with new variations. The more we play together the better we’ll get.

“We feel we’re building each week, we’re getting closer to an 80-minute performance.”

Huddersfield are unbeaten after three matches, including an impressive 21-12 victory at Catalans on the opening day.

“It’ll be a good challenge for us to see where we’re at, if they play the way they have been doing,” added French.

“We know it won’t be easy so we’re looking forward to it.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... re-2003398
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan