Huddersfield v Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Huddersfield v Wigan

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:13 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:08 pm Burgess (G) did well, but looked shot when he came off after about 17 mins in 2nd half, suggesting there's still some improvement to come when he gets to full fitness.
His performance was a massive step up on the Wire game. Given that he has not played in-between I think it was a very good performance. With Clubb and Tommy not fit to return he probably played longer than he expected.
Im trying to forget that god awful Wire game, this was the start of the Burgess I hoped to see a real hand full, lets hope it continues.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:13 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:08 pm Burgess (G) did well, but looked shot when he came off after about 17 mins in 2nd half, suggesting there's still some improvement to come when he gets to full fitness.
His performance was a massive step up on the Wire game. Given that he has not played in-between I think it was a very good performance. With Clubb and Tommy not fit to return he probably played longer than he expected.
I'm sure you're right, SEFC.
I don't like watching from behind the sticks, so was in main stand with Hudds fans. Watching George walk up the touchline when he'd been subbed was something I've never seen before: he looked like me after 2 hours gardening, and I'm 68!

Accepting that he can't be expected to be fully match fit, his performance today was good, and can only get better.

(How he managed to come back on for the last 5 or 6 minutes amazes me too.)
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

And brushed off the defender under the sticks, like a rag doll, to score. :D
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Sezer played well good kicking game.
Although the game changed when he was sin binned I don't think it was solely down to the 12 men....
Harry Smith opened the game up for Hastings and behind some real go forward and size, with Bullock then Byrne and finally Burgess we took controle. Partington for me could do the 13 role and when he plays with Byrne and Smithies we look better in D how long before Byrnes starts?
Smith looks the real deal and shows the importance of game management the repeat sets with the best kicking I have seen, in well a very long time? He came on and played the link for Hastings , while controlling the middle and right sude. Hastings then doing the same two halves who play both ways with comfort ..... they look like halfback pairing not two halfbacks
"praise to the lord"
Halves are only as good as the forwards that lay the platform, Byrne big minutes and effective from such a big framed lad was again my pick. Bullock dropped a ball but his hit ups laid a foundation for Burgess to exploit.
Yes still room to improve but it was miles apart from his debut! He was slow back to the line a couple of times but his impact was much more than the yards he made. His threat 10m out holds 'A' defenders it caused their D to miss number several times, the fact he can still leave bodies on the floor and land on his front when defenders are held around his line a further advantage.
Hastings looks class but we should throw Smith in now full stop he's our future.
Big call next week but with maybe Clubb and Tommy out I would go four forwards on the bench Smith to play 7.
Byrne to start Burgess Bullock and two of Fliowe,r Clarke, or Havard off bench. That's the biggest set of forwards we have had in a long time.
Powell was always a good middle defender but his play from 9 has improved under Lam, He always needed to offer a threat, the odd Scoot a step or two before the pass it's getting better. Smith and Hastings stepping in at acting half on occasion means he can do the 80 easily another huge plus. Was very good today.
Finally Marshall I think most fans two seasons ago would have said 4th choice? Well he's worked on all of his weakness, the high ball, positioning returning kicks and so on his natural finishing ability was never in doubt hats off to him one of the first names on the team sheet for me this season.
That to me was a very entertaining performance we can improve and I'm not even sure of our best team you could argue for a half dozen adjustments in selection. Let's hope we can drag a few more fans in and start talking more positively about our team and club.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
benjamaphone

Post by benjamaphone »

lucky 13 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:21 am Sezer played well good kicking game.
Although the game changed when he was sin binned I don't think it was solely down to the 12 men....
Harry Smith opened the game up for Hastings and behind some real go forward and size, with Bullock then Byrne and finally Burgess we took controle. Partington for me could do the 13 role and when he plays with Byrne and Smithies we look better in D how long before Byrnes starts?
Smith looks the real deal and shows the importance of game management the repeat sets with the best kicking I have seen, in well a very long time? He came on and played the link for Hastings , while controlling the middle and right sude. Hastings then doing the same two halves who play both ways with comfort ..... they look like halfback pairing not two halfbacks
"praise to the lord"
Halves are only as good as the forwards that lay the platform, Byrne big minutes and effective from such a big framed lad was again my pick. Bullock dropped a ball but his hit ups laid a foundation for Burgess to exploit.
Yes still room to improve but it was miles apart from his debut! He was slow back to the line a couple of times but his impact was much more than the yards he made. His threat 10m out holds 'A' defenders it caused their D to miss number several times, the fact he can still leave bodies on the floor and land on his front when defenders are held around his line a further advantage.
Hastings looks class but we should throw Smith in now full stop he's our future.
Big call next week but with maybe Clubb and Tommy out I would go four forwards on the bench Smith to play 7.
Byrne to start Burgess Bullock and two of Fliowe,r Clarke, or Havard off bench. That's the biggest set of forwards we have had in a long time.
Powell was always a good middle defender but his play from 9 has improved under Lam, He always needed to offer a threat, the odd Scoot a step or two before the pass it's getting better. Smith and Hastings stepping in at acting half on occasion means he can do the 80 easily another huge plus. Was very good today.
Finally Marshall I think most fans two seasons ago would have said 4th choice? Well he's worked on all of his weakness, the high ball, positioning returning kicks and so on his natural finishing ability was never in doubt hats off to him one of the first names on the team sheet for me this season.
That to me was a very entertaining performance we can improve and I'm not even sure of our best team you could argue for a half dozen adjustments in selection. Let's hope we can drag a few more fans in and start talking more positively about our team and club.
Well said 👏
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Hit the nail on the head there lucky 13 good post
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Very good post L13.
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

warriors01 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:53 pm Can we please try to play the rest of the season without Clubb, Lockers and Tommy. That's the best rugby we have played in 18 months. Defence was tremendous except for their try. Hastings is a massive step up from Williams. If Hankinson had been kicking we would have hit 50.
I was happy to see him (Hank) getting a game, no too fused if he kicks or not, just needs game time, he did play well considering he was playing on the left as well, quality play from Marshy, agree when young Smith came on he changed the dynamics and speed of the game and took control of the game!!