Warriors dazzle Giants

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors dazzle Giants

Post by josie andrews »

Match report as Wigan Warriors beat Huddersfield Giants 10-42 at the John Smith’s Stadium.

Liam Marshall went over for a hattrick to help Adrian Lam’s side to victory, whilst George Burgess was also amongst the scorers for his first try in Cherry and White.

FULL TIME: Huddersfield Giants 10-42 Wigan Warriors.

Liam Marshall scored a hattrick to help Wigan Warriors on their way to a 10-42 victory against Huddersfield Giants at the John Smith’s Stadium.

The winger went over twice in the first half, before completing his hattrick after the break, as Adrian Lam’s side became the first team to beat the Giants this season.

After an even opening 35 minutes, Wigan went on a try-scoring flourish in the final moments of the first half and never looked back.

It was the home side who enjoyed an early period of dominance in the game, as they came close to the Warriors’ try line on a few occasions.

The pressure by the Giants culminated in Wigan conceding a penalty, which Aidan Sezer successfully converted to give his side the lead.

Lam’s side soon responded and got their first points of the afternoon, as Willie Isa forced his way through the Huddersfield defence to go over, making it 2-4 in the 16th minute.

The Giants weren’t behind for long, as Wigan conceded another penalty, which Sezer was able to kick successfully again.

On the half hour mark, the home side got their first try of the game, as Adam O’Brien darted through a gap in the Warriors’ defence to force his way over. Sezer was on hand to kick the conversion to make it 10-4.

Five minutes before half time, the Giants had their numbers temporally reduced as Sezer was shown a yellow card and sent to the sin bin.

Wigan instantly made their man advantage count, as a few minutes later, Liam Marshall neatly finished in the corner.

A minute before the break, the Warriors grabbed another try to take the lead, as Sam Powell powered his way over from dummy half.

But that wasn’t the end of Wigan’s late first half flourish, as Marshall superbly used his electric pace to chase his own kick in the air to dash over on the left wing to make it 10-20 at the break.

Two minutes into the second half, Wigan continued where they left off in the opening 40 minutes, as space opened up in the right corner for Dom Manfredi to add his name to the scoresheet.

Meanwhile down the left side, Marshall was at it again, as Chris Hankinson played the ball out to the winger, who completed his hat trick.

Hardaker successfully kicked for the additional two points to extend Wigan’s lead to 10-30.

Wigan’s afternoon continued to get better, as just after hour mark Ollie Partington smoothly sidestepped past the Giants defence to run through and touch down.

In the final moments of the game, Wigan added the final points of the afternoon, as the returning George Burgess forced his way to the line to claim his first try in Cherry and White to round off a 10-42 victory.

Huddersfield Giants: Louis Senior, Jermaine McGillvary, Jake Wardle, Jordan Turner, Sam Wood, Lee Gaskell, Aidan Sezer, Matty English, Adam O’Brien, Suaia Matagi, Aaron Murphy, Joe Wardle, Michael Lawrence.

Interchanges: Paul Clough, Kenny Edwards, James Gavet, Ukuma Ta’ai.

Tries: O’Brien (30’)

Conversions: Sezer (1/1)

Penalties: Sezer (2/2)

Yellow Cards: Sezer (35’)

Wigan Warriors:Bevan French, Dom Manfredi, Zak Hardaker, Chris Hankinson, Liam Marshall, Thomas Leuluai, Jackson Hastings, Tony Clubb, Sam Powell, Oliver Partington, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Morgan Smithies.

Interchanges: Joe Bullock, George Burgess, Liam Byrne, Harry Smith.

Tries: Isa (16’), Marshall (36,’ 40,’ 46’), Powell (39’), Manfredi (42’), Partington (61’), Burgess (77’)

Conversions: Hardaker (6/8)

Referee: J. Child. Touch Judges: J. Roberts, M.Smaill.

Attendance: 6,574

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... zle-giants
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Warriors dazzle Giants

Post by josie andrews »

Think Zak only kicked five conversions! One was chalked off by the TJ’s even though we all thought it had gone over! 🤔
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Very pleased: Lam

Adrian Lam reacts to Wigan’s 10-42 victory over Huddersfield

“He was sensational. He does some amazing things.” Lam on Marshall performance”
FT | Huddersfield Giants 10-42 Wigan Warriors

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Adrian Lam praised a dominant second-half performance by his side as they beat Huddersfield Giants away from home in the Betfred Super League 10-42.

Reacting to the result, Lam said, ”Really pleased in the end, I thought the second half was much better. We didn’t get the start we wanted to but I’m really pleased they turned it around.”

“It’s nice to score some points, we needed some in regards to sitting on the ladder.”

He continued, “I was really pleased with the second half attitude, our defence held up really good again. I know they got a really easy try under the posts, but I know the boys will be really annoyed on review about that.”

On Liam Marshall, who scored a hattrick at the John Smith’s Stadium: “He was sensational. He does some amazing things. We moved him from the right to the left and this year so far he’s just been one of the best wingers in the competition.

He deserved four tries today. He changed the game for us.”

Marshall’s second will almost certainly be in the running for try of the season, but unfortunately for the Warriors Head Coach, he managed to miss the special moment.

“I was walking down for half time. I walked out of the tunnel and saw him just running through chasing the ball. I didn’t even see it happen!”

The Cherry and Whites made the most of Aiden Sezer’s sin bin for a high tackle on Tommy Leuluai, scoring four tries in the time the Aussie was off the field.

On making the most of the situation: “We’ve done a lot of simulation training for when opposition sides are one man short. We managed well against Hull and we did a pretty good job there today as well.”

George Burgess made a return from injury coming off the bench to score his first try in a Wigan shirt.

On his performance: “Glad to have him back and he had to play a lot more time than we had planned, with Leuluai and Clubb coming off.“

Lam also praised the performance of youngster Harry Smith who made an impact off the bench following Leuluai’s absence in the second half.

“I think he’ got a big future and he’s just got to keep his feet grounded and get his head down and work hard.”

On injuries, the Head coach provided an update on Tommy Leuluai and Tony Clubb.

Leuluai was just a precautionary head assessment. Clubb had a nerve issue what we call a ‘stinger’ on his shoulder.”

A late change in the side was Jake Bibby, who missed out on the 17-man squad. Lam explained why Chris Hankinson came in to replace him.

“His Grandmother had sadly passed. He is really close to his family and this morning he wasn’t in the right state to play rugby. We respect that and made the call early.

“That gave Hankinson the opportunity and he’s been going great in reserve grade, that’s the benefit of having that competition, he’s been playing every week. He was pretty good out there today.”

Next up for Wigan is a home tie with Hull Kingston Rovers on Sunday 8th March at the DW Stadium. Ticket info HERE.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... leased-lam
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:55 pm Think Zak only kicked five conversions! One was chalked off by the TJ’s even though we all thought it had gone over! 🤔
I asked somebody at the bar if he had kicked it....... there was a sort of muffled cheer, which is why i asked
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Nothing to lose: Marshall

Liam Marshall gives his reaction to THAT try he scored in Wigan’s 10-42 win over Huddersfield Giants at the John Smith’s Stadium.

Winger scores a hat-trick to help the Warriors claim two points and move to the top of the Betfred Super League.

Marshall: “It’s a credit to us staying to our systems and playing some good rugby in how many tries we scored and if we can carry on like that then we’ll go well.”

Liam Marshall says “there was nothing to lose” when he scored a try of the season contender that spurred Wigan Warriors on to an impressive victory over Huddersfield Giants on Sunday.

The winger, who scored a hat-trick in the 10-42 win at the John Smith’s Stadium, sensationally set up his own first try with seconds remaining of the first half by kicking the ball from Wigan’s ten metre line to Huddersfield’s 40, where he then out-paced the chasing pack to collect and run the rest of the pitch to score in the corner.

On the try, Marshall said: “They didn’t have a full back who dropped back with 20 seconds left, so I kicked the ball thinking there was nothing to lose and luckily it came off. Liam Farrell gave me a roasting when I kicked it but came and apologised when I scored but if it hadn’t he might’ve had a quiet word!”

Marshall’s three tries helped the Warriors claim the two points and move Adrian Lam’s side to the top of the Betfred Super League, with four wins from the opening five games.

“It was a good day individually but it was even more important that we came here and got the two points. Huddersfield have been going well and defending pretty good and it a rough place to come for any team. The first 20 they shocked us a bit but in the second 20 we were very clinical and very good.

We scored a few tries before half time and I think that knocked their (Huddersfield) confidence a bit. We posted a few points and probably could’ve posted a few more. Our completion was high and that really helped in wet conditions, so there are some positive signs and some things to work on.

“It’s a credit to us staying to our systems and playing some good rugby in how many tries we scored and if we can carry on like that then we’ll go well.”

Next up for Wigan is a home tie with Hull Kingston Rovers on Sunday 8th March at the DW Stadium. Ticket info HERE.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... e-marshall
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Felt confident: Burgess

George Burgess reflects on Wigan Warriors’ 10-42 victory over Huddersfield Giants at the John Smith’s Stadium.

The prop went over for his first try in Cherry and White as he returned from injury.

FULL TIME: Huddersfield Giants 10-42 Wigan Warriors.

George Burgess was pleased to go over for his first try in Cherry and White as Wigan Warriors beat Huddersfield Giants 10-42 at the John Smith’s Stadium.

The prop featured in Adrian Lam’s squad for the first time since picking up an injury in the opening game of the season, and says he felt ‘confident’ ahead of his return.

“I haven’t scored for a while, so it was good to get over the line. I’ve had to be patient, working hard on my rehab and recovery, to make sure I’m getting some reps out on the training field.”

He continues, “This week was good because I trained in every session and I felt confident going into the game. I was only supposed to play 20 minutes, so it was good to get more time and to build.”

Despite being behind after 30 minutes, the Warriors scored a flourish of tries before the break, and never looked back in the second half.

“We just stuck with it,” says Burgess. “We knew they were going to come out hard against us, and the first 30 was tough but we managed to get some point in the end which was impressive.”

The 27-year-old states that the victory over Huddersfield was type of display that the Warriors want to put in every game.

“We are a team that want to play for 80 minutes every week, so I think it was a good steppingstone, but we have to keep building.”

Burgess also wants to keep working on his own performance and use the game time he got against the Giants as a foundation.

“It was the first time I’ve got through a full game so I just want to keep building on that and improving where I can. The team that we have got is really exciting and I’m pleased to be a part of it.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... nt-burgess