Sam Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Sam Powell

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:52 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:02 pm French is a superb signing, pure and simple. I know people love to criticise but it seems to me that anyone criticising his signing is simply looking for a reason to criticise the club. “Well, he might be cheap and an absolute gem, but it was pure luck that we signed him...” is “glass is about to break and spill the remaining drink on my couch and ruin it” school of misery for misery’s sake.
But it was a chance signing and one given how poor the side played at times last season made no sense at the time,I wonder where he’s to play once Gildart is fit again,nice problems to have for sure.

If you want to to see it as a criticism of the clubs hap hazard transfer policy then yes take it as so,not of the player himself,I’m more of fan who perhaps sees that player x is coming to the end and hope player y is brought in to replace him is all.

As for French I think he will stick around he’s the type of player who does well here but perhaps not the NRL but we shall see.
How does Gilly returning to the side affect French?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
wigrug

Post by wigrug »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:38 pm Personally I think its always been questionable for Sam and his coaching staff whether he is a 9 or 7!
In my opinion, the lad hasn't got the intelligence to play 7 in a million years! I think he certainly offers more at 9 and I think as a result of 2019 (playing all season at 9) he has developed far more!

I think he works extremely hard and this season so far he looks very comfortable and natural at 9! I think his contributions go unnoticed!
The reality is when you look at Daryl Clark, James Roby, Danny Houghton, Paul McShane and Micky Mac these hookers look far more accomplished and experienced!

Powell doesn't look quite as creative or make as many yards generally from the play off the ball but I dont think he is by any standard poor!
But which of these have outplayed him in the big games at 9? He's come up against Daryl Clarke twice in Grand Finals and outplayed him on both occasions I believe.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

wigrug wrote:
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:38 pm Personally I think its always been questionable for Sam and his coaching staff whether he is a 9 or 7!
In my opinion, the lad hasn't got the intelligence to play 7 in a million years! I think he certainly offers more at 9 and I think as a result of 2019 (playing all season at 9) he has developed far more!

I think he works extremely hard and this season so far he looks very comfortable and natural at 9! I think his contributions go unnoticed!
The reality is when you look at Daryl Clark, James Roby, Danny Houghton, Paul McShane and Micky Mac these hookers look far more accomplished and experienced!

Powell doesn't look quite as creative or make as many yards generally from the play off the ball but I dont think he is by any standard poor!
But which of these have outplayed him in the big games at 9? He's come up against Daryl Clarke twice in Grand Finals and outplayed him on both occasions I believe.
He’s regularly outplayed by all of them. That’s why several of them are in the England frame and he isn’t. Clark won the Lance Todd trophy in 2019. Previous hooker to win MoM in a major final was Roby winning the Harry Sunderland trophy in 2014.

It was his stupid pass that led to HKR’s second breakaway try today.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

wigrug wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:57 pm

I dont really think you can compare Sam Powell V Daryl Clark purely based on two individual Grand Final performances! If Micky Mac was fit in 2016 Powell wouldn't have played 9!

I'm no particular fan of Daryl Clark but compared to Sam, there's no doubt Clark offers more (especially going forwards). If you compare Micky Mac and Tommy (both in their prime with Wigan) with Sam Powell, they were both stronger in defence and slightly more creative than Powell.

I'm not slating Powell, I actually think he is getting better with age and experience and I think his work rate and contributions do sometimes go unnoticed. His case isn't helped that over the past few seasons Wigan have had more natural and dedicated 9s (Leuluai, Micky Mac, Riddell) and we have high standards (as it should be)!
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I'm not really a Powell fan for lots of reasons but he seems to be playing well at the moment. Let's accept that he is here and will play so we hope that his good form will continue.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:45 pm
wigrug wrote:

He’s regularly outplayed by all of them. That’s why several of them are in the England frame and he isn’t. Clark won the Lance Todd trophy in 2019. Previous hooker to win MoM in a major final was Roby winning the Harry Sunderland trophy in 2014.

It was his stupid pass that led to HKR’s second breakaway try today.
You may be right, Dave, but for a Wigan supporter you don't have anything positive to say about Sam yet seem like you're able to spot any mistake he might make and can readily list his failings.

To be completely honest and not trying to provoke an argument, I don't understand you. 50% of people on another thread have him as one of the best 3 players today. Could it just possibly be that you prejudge him and only look for the negatives?
Last edited by morley pie eater on Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

And in fairness, both French and Marshall handed tries over to HKR, yet there's no criticism coming their way. In fact, it was all our mistakes which gave them their 3 scores.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I think that is a very harsh & inappropriate comment to make on a person/player you don’t know!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:26 am

I think that is a very harsh & inappropriate comment to make on a person/player you don’t know!
I assume they are referring to rugby intelligence josie.

This Sam Powell debate will rage on for as long as the Matty Smith debate raged on for because hes not the best or the worst in the league therefore people trying to rate him as either will find their claims unfounded.

He isnt the best hooker in the league hes probably not in the top 3 if he was he would be well in the proper England/GB setup by now. You cant blame Bennett either as Wane hasnt even picked him in there. That said he isnt the worst in the league, nor is he in the bottom 3.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

I think Wigan Forevers last comment just about sums it up.There are worse or less effective 9s than SP but to be fair not many.He is certainly well behind Clarke, Mcshane, Mickey Mac and Houghton and from whatI have seen this season Dwyer, Smith at Saints and Walker are far better going forward.SP is good defensively and never gives less than 100%, but lets face it he is nothing special as some will make out.