Sam Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The booze hound

Re: Sam Powell

Post by The booze hound »

old hooker wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:08 am SP is good defensively and never gives less than 100%, but lets face it he is nothing special as some will make out.
He is also not as bad as some will make out, (he's not as good as some, he is better than some).
I struggle to think of who we could get that is better than him who would command the same on the SC.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:26 am
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:38 pm Personally I think its always been questionable for Sam and his coaching staff whether he is a 9 or 7!
In my opinion, the lad hasn't got the intelligence to play 7 in a million years! I think he certainly offers more at 9 and I think as a result of 2019 (playing all season at 9) he has developed far more!

I think he works extremely hard and this season so far he looks very comfortable and natural at 9! I think his contributions go unnoticed!
The reality is when you look at Daryl Clark, James Roby, Danny Houghton, Paul McShane and Micky Mac these hookers look far more accomplished and experienced!

Powell doesn't look quite as creative or make as many yards generally from the play off the ball but I dont think he is by any standard poor!
I think that is a very harsh & inappropriate comment to make on a person/player you don’t know!
Well I think its totally justified! At NO point have questioned Sam Powell's integrity, commitment or dedication to Wigan Nor have I insulted him personally! In actual fact I've clearly acknowledged that I believe he contributes to Wigan (playing at 9)!

The reality is, Powell has previously been granted the 7 jersey and played scrum half several times and it doesn't work! Are you telling me Sam Powell has the rugby intelligence to take Wigan around the park? Can you list a handful of game when Powell flourished at 7 and tore and opposition to shreds?
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

One aspect of Sam's play that we haven't really discussed is how we keep him fit for the duration of the season. Two of his main strengths are his durability and his ability to play 80 mins. However, we can't expect him to play 80 mins every week and still hope that he's fresh enough to give his best at the end of the season. The obvious answer in the short term is to alternate Harry Smith with Tommy (we didn't do this on Friday) for longer periods to give Sam a break. Bring Harry on after 30 mins, let him finish the game if he's doing well and then bring Tommy on for Sam with 20 mins to go.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

one swallow does not make a summer
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:38 am
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:38 pm Personally I think its always been questionable for Sam and his coaching staff whether he is a 9 or 7!
In my opinion, the lad hasn't got the intelligence to play 7 in a million years! I think he certainly offers more at 9 and I think as a result of 2019 (playing all season at 9) he has developed far more!

I think he works extremely hard and this season so far he looks very comfortable and natural at 9! I think his contributions go unnoticed!
The reality is when you look at Daryl Clark, James Roby, Danny Houghton, Paul McShane and Micky Mac these hookers look far more accomplished and experienced!

Powell doesn't look quite as creative or make as many yards generally from the play off the ball but I dont think he is by any standard poor!
I think that is a very harsh & inappropriate comment to make on a person/player you don’t know!
Well I think its totally justified! At NO point have questioned Sam Powell's integrity, commitment or dedication to Wigan Nor have I insulted him personally! In actual fact I've clearly acknowledged that I believe he contributes to Wigan (playing at 9)!

The reality is, Powell has previously been granted the 7 jersey and played scrum half several times and it doesn't work! Are you telling me Sam Powell has the rugby intelligence to take Wigan around the park? Can you list a handful of game when Powell flourished at 7 and tore and opposition to shreds?
And there lies the rub!

In your original post you never alluded to “rugby intelligence”, but seemed to insinuate Sam Powell is a halfwit!!

I’m just fed up of different posters condemning particular players every game. It’s a team sport yet if we lose, it is always “A, B, or C’s” fault!

There will always be a scapegoat!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jao711

Post by jao711 »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:29 pm

And there lies the rub!

In your original post you never alluded to “rugby intelligence”, but seemed to insinuate Sam Powell is a halfwit!!

I’m just fed up of different posters condemning particular players every game. It’s a team sport yet if we lose, it is always “A, B, or C’s” fault!

Well said Josie, we have too many self appointed rugby gurus on here.The ones who know all about management,recruitment,coaching,and even playing the game.
wigrug

Post by wigrug »

old hooker wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:08 am I think Wigan Forevers last comment just about sums it up.There are worse or less effective 9s than SP but to be fair not many.He is certainly well behind Clarke, Mcshane, Mickey Mac and Houghton and from whatI have seen this season Dwyer, Smith at Saints and Walker are far better going forward.SP is good defensively and never gives less than 100%, but lets face it he is nothing special as some will make out.
What's this based on? Running ability?
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I’ve been a Powell critic but this season he’s going well for us IMO. What got my back up was this #7 farce we had. Just keep him at a 9. He contributes well in defence and distributes well.

If he doesn’t scoot off all the time like
Roby who cares? Some May of course but I think it’s time he had a break from the detractors.

He’s doing well for us.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:29 pm

And there lies the rub!

Well I've never met Sam Powell so why would I question his day to day intelligence?

And again, I haven't condemned Sam Powell, I've acknowledged that he is going from strength to strength at 9 and he contributes well to Wigan and his workload is sometimes under-rated!

I'm not looking for scapegoats! All I've done is highlighted the fact that Powell at 7 was always going to be a disaster and that I think it took too long to establish whether he is a 7 or 9!
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I know Sam well and i can tell you he is one of the most respectful and lovely family guy i have ever met, he always comes to speak to me or Martin in the lean kitchen if we are in there and always has a smile on his face . His progress since Lam came is there for all to see he has been immense this year and the tackle count along with Isa lets other players do their job