Sam Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Sam Powell

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

But this is sport being a nice guy or a good family man or respectful or any of that bears absolutely no relevance to his performances on the pitch.

I agree with all of the and he is the type of professional I like to see at the club but it isn’t mutually exclusive Roby has been both world class and a nice guy, being a nice guy doesn’t give you a free pass to praise - see Matty smith argument

On the topic of scooting - it’s not the be all and end of being a hooker but it’s fine margins that separate top players from average/good players. As a hooker knowing when to effectively scoot is in that locker. Roby etc don’t scoot every play they do it when it’s most effective and it’s one of the easiest way to make meters in rugby league - Powell’s big problem is even if he does it he’s too slow to make it work for him properly

Powell is and always probably will be about 4th or 5th best hooker in the league - players will come in and slot above him and he will outlast some of the better players when their powers fade from his durability but he is never going to be no matter how nice he is a top top hooker he just doesn’t have enough in his game
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I think it's all a balance in the modern game especially with in effect a lot less cap space. An Example Saints have had Roby who I would say has been the best hooker by some distance. That though has not made them successful. Last season with Roby not at the same level they did win. I don't think that was down to the spine of the team which was much the same with just Coote in at 1 or even the coaching. For me it was the props becoming dominant just two good players miles ahead of everyone else. This in turn allowed Lomax Farge and Coote space to play and the whole team to have confidence anyone who has played or coached knows how one or better two dominant props can change a teams confidence.. ust as in our good performance at Huddersfield Byrne Bullock and then Burgess lay a platform for us to play behind.
Powells good enough to win things if he's got players around him who can lay the platform. A bonus to that he seems a great club man and a good example to the younger lads. If you then look at our play makers we have Hastings French and Tommy/Smith. I imagine most teams would be happy with what we have?
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

lucky 13 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:33 am I think it's all a balance in the modern game especially with in effect a lot less cap space. An Example Saints have had Roby who I would say has been the best hooker by some distance. That though has not made them successful. Last season with Roby not at the same level they did win. I don't think that was down to the spine of the team which was much the same with just Coote in at 1 or even the coaching. For me it was the props becoming dominant just two good players miles ahead of everyone else. This in turn allowed Lomax Farge and Coote space to play and the whole team to have confidence anyone who has played or coached knows how one or better two dominant props can change a teams confidence.. ust as in our good performance at Huddersfield Byrne Bullock and then Burgess lay a platform for us to play behind.
Powells good enough to win things if he's got players around him who can lay the platform. A bonus to that he seems a great club man and a good example to the younger lads. If you then look at our play makers we have Hastings French and Tommy/Smith. I imagine most teams would be happy with what we have?
Hard to argue against anything you've said there
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

What a pile of old shite
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

lucky 13 wrote:I think it's all a balance in the modern game especially with in effect a lot less cap space. An Example Saints have had Roby who I would say has been the best hooker by some distance. That though has not made them successful. Last season with Roby not at the same level they did win. I don't think that was down to the spine of the team which was much the same with just Coote in at 1 or even the coaching. For me it was the props becoming dominant just two good players miles ahead of everyone else. This in turn allowed Lomax Farge and Coote space to play and the whole team to have confidence anyone who has played or coached knows how one or better two dominant props can change a teams confidence.. ust as in our good performance at Huddersfield Byrne Bullock and then Burgess lay a platform for us to play behind.
Nope. We could easily afford a better hooker with better squad and cap management. How Saints won it is not relevant. No 9 is a key position not one to be carried by a couple of top props.

As to him being a good club man that the absolute last reason to retain anyone. This the the professional game not the amateur one where you reward such things over skill. He’d have been long gone under Maurice Lindsay.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Maurice Lindsay is in the past. this here and now, the game is different. I wouldn't say Sam Powell is the best 9 in the comp, but he's far from the worst, and I agree that the style of play of the team is the biggest factor. I was just watching Josh Hodgson for the Raiders earlier, and all the frequent claims we hear here that Roby is much better seemed a joke, as he put in another great performance. But the Canberra team is built around him, and it works for them. Bennett wasn't able to get the best out of him playing how he wanted to play. Equally Clark suits Wire's style too. What kind of hooker you need depends on what style of football you want to play. Maybe the problem is, Lam has still yet to put his stamp on the team?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Far from good enough. No matter how you want to sugarcoat it or how much you want him to do well, he simply isn't good enough. You put Clarke, Houghton or Mcshane in this team then it dominates. Simple as.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:Maurice Lindsay is in the past. this here and now, the game is different. I wouldn't say Sam Powell is the best 9 in the comp, but he's far from the worst, and I agree that the style of play of the team is the biggest factor. I was just watching Josh Hodgson for the Raiders earlier, and all the frequent claims we hear here that Roby is much better seemed a joke, as he put in another great performance. But the Canberra team is built around him, and it works for them. Bennett wasn't able to get the best out of him playing how he wanted to play. Equally Clark suits Wire's style too. What kind of hooker you need depends on what style of football you want to play. Maybe the problem is, Lam has still yet to put his stamp on the team?
Well quite frankly I have my doubts Lam knows what his type of team is.

It’s not about the game being different anyway, it’s about attitude.

The attitude under ML was one of continuous improvement. That ethos no longer exists at the club. It’s why we give players like Clubb a two year extension, have an average player like Powell at 9 and have persevered with players who should have retired.

The salary cap is a lame excuse made by some given there would be funds available if such players were shown the door when they should be.

I seriously doubt Wigan are looking for a better no 9 whereas previously they’d have the sniffers out continuously. I genuinely think if the current regime were in charge back then we’d have never signed the likes of Offiah or Hanley because it would be easier to stick with the decent players we already had. That’s the problem.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

DaveO wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 am
moto748 wrote:Maurice Lindsay is in the past. this here and now, the game is different. I wouldn't say Sam Powell is the best 9 in the comp, but he's far from the worst, and I agree that the style of play of the team is the biggest factor. I was just watching Josh Hodgson for the Raiders earlier, and all the frequent claims we hear here that Roby is much better seemed a joke, as he put in another great performance. But the Canberra team is built around him, and it works for them. Bennett wasn't able to get the best out of him playing how he wanted to play. Equally Clark suits Wire's style too. What kind of hooker you need depends on what style of football you want to play. Maybe the problem is, Lam has still yet to put his stamp on the team?

The attitude under ML was one of continuous improvement. That ethos no longer exists at the club. It’s why we give players like Clubb a two year extension, have an average player like Powell at 9 and have persevered with players who should have retired.

The salary cap is a lame excuse made by some given there would be funds available if such players were shown the door when they should be.

I seriously doubt Wigan are looking for a better no 9 whereas previously they’d have the sniffers out continuously. I genuinely think if the current regime were in charge back then we’d have never signed the likes of Offiah or Hanley because it would be easier to stick with the decent players we already had. That’s the problem.
But they didn’t have a salary cap and look where we ended up.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

jao711 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:09 pm
DaveO wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 am

But they didn’t have a salary cap and look where we ended up.
With a shitload of trophies?