Sam Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Sam Powell

Post by DaveO »

The booze hound wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:46 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:24 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:44 am DaveO

Would you say Powell has improved this season despite 5 games in?
In my opinion he has improved but hes still a way off what you would consider a top player in his position.

Clark
Roby (even at 34)
Mcshane

All easily ahead of him

id probably argue you could add to that list

Wood
Houghton
Leeming
Would you have a top class hooker at the expense of Hastings or G.Burgess?
No but them where is it written that is the choice we'd have to make? Warrington signed Widdop and have Clarke and have a good pack. They have Austin as well.

We on other hand gave Clubb a two year deal when under the old ML type of regime he's another who would have gone by now. As would Lockers.

It seems to me the club has plenty of money tied up in players who should have left/retired by now to be able to afford a top 9 and Hastings and G.Burgess.

Our recruitment and retention policy has had me confused for quite a while now. There has been a distinct lack of succession planning for Lockers who should have retired already. The fact TL is going around again is another eyebrow raiser.

On the recruitment side it often seems opportunistic rather than planned. All of Greenwood, French, G Burgess and Hardaker ended up here because something went wrong elsewhere or they were surplus to requirements.

This doesn't mean they are bad players. Far from it but Greenwood is a left sided back row when we already had Faz and French's being now seen as a 1 has meant Hardaker in the centres when we bought two in Hankinson and Bibby. When Gildard is back that means we end up with four first team centres assuming French stays at 1.

Sometimes this works like when Greenwood and Bateman formed a great back row when Faz was out but that seemed more like luck than judgement. The rest of it seems haphazard and has resulted in us being seemingly overloaded in more than one position. That is in my opinion why we can't afford to go for a top 9. Not the wages of Hastings and G.Burgess.
wigrug

Post by wigrug »

DaveO wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:09 pm
The booze hound wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:46 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:24 am

In my opinion he has improved but hes still a way off what you would consider a top player in his position.

Clark
Roby (even at 34)
Mcshane

All easily ahead of him

id probably argue you could add to that list

Wood
Houghton
Leeming
Would you have a top class hooker at the expense of Hastings or G.Burgess?
Since the 4/5 years Sam has played at 9, Can you tell me how many times these world-class hookers have outplayed him in the big games?

Clark - Never
Roby - Maybe once or twice
Mcshane - Never
Wood - Never
Houghton - Never
Leeming - Never

🤔
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Well I for one always get confused at the digs with IL. It can’t be that easy to sign a star player especially with the games agents play, or that most other clubs are also after talent and notwithstanding the financial clout the NRL has over super league...

Think we have a good chance this season, mainly because we have better squad depth.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

For me this season and last was the start of a major squad change.
I would not be surprised to see Tommy Lockers Clubb fFower leave at years end. Along with Greenwood Escarre and Romain question mark's still hang over Hastings and I imagine Gildart. Fringe players like Jake Shorrocks may also be on their way.
That's a serious turnover and amount of cap space.
Powell not flashy but he's a very solid performer. He has improved under Lam but even under Wane he always played well in big games. His value for me is as an 80 minute hooker. I don't see any plus to him starting or coming off the bench for stints. His performance at the weekend was an example of what he gives most weeks.
We will need to improve contracts to secure some of the young talent smith Smithies and so on.
Who leaves will no doubt shape who we sign but Burgess Bullock Byrne Havard Powell Faz Smithies Partington gives a strong and big foundation.
Interesting to see what happens but Faz and Powel will have major roles in the next couple of years as to the leadership of our side.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Gerrumonside wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:32 pm Well I for one always get confused at the digs with IL. It can’t be that easy to sign a star player especially with the games agents play, or that most other clubs are also after talent and notwithstanding the financial clout the NRL has over super league...

Think we have a good chance this season, mainly because we have better squad depth.
But other teams manage it without the seemingly opportunist approach Wigan have.

I have no issues with our recent recruitment in terms of the players we brought in but i agree with DaveO the methodology seems haphazard. It seems like we will sign any player if there is a cheap option to regardless of where they would fit and the inherent weaknesses in the squad. Now you could argue in the modern day game its less of an issue as a lot of positions seems to have merged into eachother in terms of attributes but still id like to see a more structured approach to how we recruit.

I think IL has been good for the club, personally i think Rads is the one who is the problem - he is all about hiring his mates to do jobs that's why we've ended up with a woefully under qualified fitness lead.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Have to agree Wigan’s recruitment is at times just plain goofy,I still see the signing of French as weird,a luxury signing if ever there was one given the sheer numbers of full backs and wingers the club had at the time he came,he isn’t a half back let’s stop pretending he is,don’t get me wrong I’m glad here’s here but I’d sooner see a more structured approach to getting players rather than what’s happening now and in the recent past
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

French is a superb signing, pure and simple. I know people love to criticise but it seems to me that anyone criticising his signing is simply looking for a reason to criticise the club. “Well, he might be cheap and an absolute gem, but it was pure luck that we signed him...” is “glass is about to break and spill the remaining drink on my couch and ruin it” school of misery for misery’s sake.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:02 pm French is a superb signing, pure and simple. I know people love to criticise but it seems to me that anyone criticising his signing is simply looking for a reason to criticise the club. “Well, he might be cheap and an absolute gem, but it was pure luck that we signed him...” is “glass is about to break and spill the remaining drink on my couch and ruin it” school of misery for misery’s sake.
But it was a chance signing and one given how poor the side played at times last season made no sense at the time,I wonder where he’s to play once Gildart is fit again,nice problems to have for sure.

If you want to to see it as a criticism of the clubs hap hazard transfer policy then yes take it as so,not of the player himself,I’m more of fan who perhaps sees that player x is coming to the end and hope player y is brought in to replace him is all.

As for French I think he will stick around he’s the type of player who does well here but perhaps not the NRL but we shall see.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:52 pm But it was a chance signing and one given how poor the side played at times last season made no sense at the time,I wonder where he’s to play once Gildart is fit again,nice problems to have for sure.
If you want to to see it as a criticism of the clubs hap hazard transfer policy then yes take it as so,not of the player himself,I’m more of fan who perhaps sees that player x is coming to the end and hope player y is brought in to replace him is all.

As for French I think he will stick around he’s the type of player who does well here but perhaps not the NRL but we shall see.
It wasn't a chance signing as he was due to come to us this season, but, because of a rule change, he had to come early or he wouldn’t have been allowed to come at all!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Personally I think its always been questionable for Sam and his coaching staff whether he is a 9 or 7!
In my opinion, the lad hasn't got the intelligence to play 7 in a million years! I think he certainly offers more at 9 and I think as a result of 2019 (playing all season at 9) he has developed far more!

I think he works extremely hard and this season so far he looks very comfortable and natural at 9! I think his contributions go unnoticed!
The reality is when you look at Daryl Clark, James Roby, Danny Houghton, Paul McShane and Micky Mac these hookers look far more accomplished and experienced!

Powell doesn't look quite as creative or make as many yards generally from the play off the ball but I dont think he is by any standard poor!