Robinson praises Marshall

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Robinson praises Marshall

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan great Jason Robinson OBE gives his reaction to Liam Marshall’s memorable try against Huddersfield Giants on Sunday.

Former winger was in attendance at the John Smith’s Stadium as Marshall scored a ‘potential try of the season’.

Robinson: “As a winger and an ex Wigan player that’s seen a lot of good wingers and a lot of good tries being finished - that was definitely up there.”

Wigan Warriors legend Jason Robinson OBE admits Liam Marshall’s spectacular try against Huddersfield Giants on Sunday was up there as one of the best he has seen in rugby league.

Robinson scored 171 tries in 281 appearances for Wigan between 1992 and 2000 and as a former winger himself who was renowned for his acceleration and ability to beat defenders, he says Marshall deserves all the credit for a moment that will be remembered for years to come.

The 45-year-old revealed he was in attendance at the John Smith’s Stadium at the weekend and was delighted in how the Warriors triumphed to a comfortable 10-42 win.

Robinson said: “It was fantastic. As a winger and an ex Wigan player that’s seen a lot of good wingers and a lot of good tries being finished - that was definitely up there. To have the confidence to chip over, re-gather and the pace to go over all the way. I was at the game and I really enjoyed it - fair play to him, it was a cracker.

“You go back to the Billy Boston’s, Martin Offiah’s - we’ve had some of the best wingers in the world and there’s always a lot to live up to when it comes to that. It’s sometimes about finishing moves off but Marshall had the skillset, the confidence and the brains to chip it over and re-gather. Not everybody would try something like that.

“At the start of it I thought it was going to be a tight game, but it got to half time and Wigan punished Huddersfield after the sin bin and seemed to grow in confidence and tries kept flowing. Marshall’s was definitely the pick of the bunch and a potential try of the season.

“When you look back at tries and games - especially when you can do something like that - it can give you massive confidence as a player, especially as a winger. Quite often you are judged on scoring tries and the way you score them.

“Quite often you can be on the end and it can be lucky that you’re in the right place at the right time. But in that situation on Sunday, it was all him. He made the call, he executed the kick and it was him who had the base to go all the way, so he deserves a lot of credit for it.”

Speaking to the Club at Robin Park Arena before watching his son, Joe, train for the Under-18s, Robinson says his love for Wigan remains.

The ex England dual-code international, said: “Having been at Wigan for nearly ten years back in the day I always have an eye on the Club. One of my boys, Joe, is in the 18s so it’s got me over here even more so. I’m keen to see what happens with the first team, as well as what happens with Joe and his progression. It’s great!

“My heart started here in rugby league and will always be here and it’s just nice to be around the Club and the players.”

Robinson also shared his thoughts on the Betfred Super League season so far and Wigan’s run of form of three consecutive wins that has seen them move to the top of the table.

“It’s going to be a tough year. We’ve seen some crazy results so far, so Wigan need to be on the boil and producing good rugby - and so far so good. It’s about building that momentum now throughout the season and continue to play with confidence.

Things are clicking and the longer that continues the better the team is going to get. Wigan, for me, has always been used to winning and it’s good to see them enjoying their rugby right now and long that may continue and long may the wins keeping coming!

“You can’t look too far ahead though. You’ve got to get the basics done, turn up and do the hard work and making sure you can do all that under pressure and continue to perform.

“Everybody’s expectations is that something will be lifted at the end of the season, but for the players and the coaching staff they’ve just got to focus on the foundations in getting everything right and making sure the players are in the best possible condition to go out there and perform and do what they love which is play rugby league.”

Next up for Wigan is a home tie with Hull Kingston Rovers on Sunday 8th March at the DW Stadium. Ticket info HERE.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... s-marshall
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
SJ

Re: Robinson praises Marshall

Post by SJ »

The try was Henry Paulesqe. First time I saw a try like that scoredI think Meds saw it to ,back in the day!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

And all that praise from a real superstar, who knows something about wing play (as well as other positions).
If that had been in ru, it would have been all over the mainstream media ? Beats anything I've seen in that sport (with my albeit limited viewing).
SJ

Post by SJ »

Agreed Nez. I used to compare RU with the donkey derby and RL with the Classics horse racing. Now I have ceased making and propounding comparisons mainly because for me it's self evident. Re the media bias it's always been there. Having said that the folk down here enjo their RU and I confess I have enjoyed the odd game but they're far and few between. 😄
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Funny thing was, everyone I spoke to at half time said it was a different player that kicked it. Most said Hastings, some said Smith and one even said Hankinson.

And quite a few missed it running to the bar after the Powell try.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

We were in that side stand (with Hudds fans !) and it was definitely Marshall, or at least his shadow :? :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:35 pm We were in that side stand (with Hudds fans !) and it was definitely Marshall, or at least his shadow :? :D
I was behind the sticks & could still see that it was Marshy 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

SJ wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:37 am The try was Henry Paulesqe. First time I saw a try like that scoredI think Meds saw it to ,back in the day!
Must've been a long time since if Meds was there :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

First Try Tickle wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:10 pm Funny thing was, everyone I spoke to at half time said it was a different player that kicked it. Most said Hastings, some said Smith and one even said Hankinson.

And quite a few missed it running to the bar after the Powell try.
I said french and i had my glasses 🤓 on lol...... although i was on my 3rd 2 pinter pot
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I remember the Henry Paul try at CP.

Beautiful

Little bits like that stay in the memory don’t they. Is it on YouTube?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame