Hastings the verdict so far?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

Re: Hastings the verdict so far?

Post by bertina »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:06 am Hes as good a half back as ive seen in this league
I agree.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

He's quality of that there is no doubt. He's barking instructions at team mates all the time and always trying something

Just hope his time at Wigan is used to give young Smith the chance to play alongside someone of his quality rather than waste a season with Tommy there and possibly lose them both for next season
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I've always thought, despite his many critics, that Luke Gale was the best half in SL over the last few years. I think Hastings is at least his equal.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Enjoy him while we can. He’s a good man
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think we'll regularly rotate Smith in in place of Tommy. And I think that's the right move this season. Don't put the kid under too much pressure and don't raise his expectations of being a super star too soon. But I do hope he's a super star and that we keep Hastings for a few more years as well. They're going to be a great pairing, maybe even the regular starters by the end of the season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:I think we'll regularly rotate Smith in in place of Tommy. And I think that's the right move this season. Don't put the kid under too much pressure and don't raise his expectations of being a super star too soon.
That might be fine if Tommy was still any good but if Sunday is his standard these days that is no longer the case. He needed taking off long before he was.

In any case Smith is 20 so I am not sure how old he’s got to be before he’s a regular starter. The best young players are often ready for regular first team football at that sort of age. I think if you are good enough you are old enough applies here. As a back there is also less chance of burn out than a young prop which in my opinion Lam is already over doing it with some of them.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Being a young age too Smith has an opportunity to be risky and have that element of play that comes with a confident youth. It could be beneficial like more 40/20s, chip over... but then again it could backfire spectacularly. Like Gellings play
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Pleased that Hastings has done so well after that terrible tour in the summer when he wasn't good at all. Seems to have got a good rapport with those a round him, particularly Farrell. It should be even better when Olly gets back to left centre.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

ancientnloyal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:17 am Being a young age too Smith has an opportunity to be risky and have that element of play that comes with a confident youth. It could be beneficial like more 40/20s, chip over... but then again it could backfire spectacularly. Like Gellings play
I agree on this but Smith does seem to play with a level of maturity - the big test will be his first stinker game and how he reacts to that so far hes been very good - his first game where he gets off to a real bad start will tell us a lot more
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Southern Softy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:37 am Pleased that Hastings has done so well after that terrible tour in the summer when he wasn't good at all. Seems to have got a good rapport with those a round him, particularly Farrell. It should be even better when Olly gets back to left centre.
Good call, Centre is a position we aren't naturally blessed with at the moment and Gildart's pace, movement and positioning will add even more to our attack.
Agree with DaveO about Leuluai (same, in my opinion as SOL, btw) but we seem much slower going forward these days with TL getting the ball moving away from the Halves, whereas Smith has been a revelation, with his all round game. Of course, he has to be brought through the senior squad responsibly, and even at 20, he doesn't physically look the finished part yet ? I don't think he should start every game and being spelled with TL, like at Huddersfield, for parts of this season could be the answer.