Marshall extends deal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Gerrumonside

Re: Marshall extends deal

Post by Gerrumonside »

I agree with a lot of what you said there Nezza, everyone is so opinionated about what we as a club should have done or someone we should have signed, but there’s a hell of a lot we aren’t privy to - always the team must come first and that continuity may explain the clubb/SOL/tommy older players keeping the team together whilst the younger crop develops!

Said it before and I’ll say it again but I think we have good squad depth this season and that won’t be down to a haphazard transfer policy.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Nezza Faz wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 pm You say Smithies "only just come out of the woodwork" - he's actually been here as an Academy product for around 5+ years. So if that isn't "succession planning" I don't know what is, and the same can be said of the other youngsters in the same age bracket, like Smith, Borough (sp), Byrne, Partington, etc. They are all the results from succession planning, that's why you have an Academy together with a Coaching Team surrounding that. They are not just plucked from obscurity without some close monitoring. They have a value ! And as pointedly obvious, we are top of the League for a reason, therefore someone's done some planning, or does that just happen too. Every neutral pundit points at Wigan's "succession planning" and the method we have behind it, which they say should be a blueprint for the rest of the game to copy ! Or we could just try and "buy" success, like Warrington/Hull !!
I'd imagine with SOL, they feel he still can contribute this season and can add to the team at certain stages of the year, whilst Greenwood was everyone's pick whilst he was in form last season, before injuries played their part.
Succession planning or an academy that churns out good players?

The plan all along has been for Smith and Smithies to replace Lockers and Tommy?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:21 pm
Nezza Faz wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 pm You say Smithies "only just come out of the woodwork" - he's actually been here as an Academy product for around 5+ years. So if that isn't "succession planning" I don't know what is, and the same can be said of the other youngsters in the same age bracket, like Smith, Borough (sp), Byrne, Partington, etc. They are all the results from succession planning, that's why you have an Academy together with a Coaching Team surrounding that. They are not just plucked from obscurity without some close monitoring. They have a value ! And as pointedly obvious, we are top of the League for a reason, therefore someone's done some planning, or does that just happen too. Every neutral pundit points at Wigan's "succession planning" and the method we have behind it, which they say should be a blueprint for the rest of the game to copy ! Or we could just try and "buy" success, like Warrington/Hull !!
I'd imagine with SOL, they feel he still can contribute this season and can add to the team at certain stages of the year, whilst Greenwood was everyone's pick whilst he was in form last season, before injuries played their part.
Succession planning or an academy that churns out good players?

The plan all along has been for Smith and Smithies to replace Lockers and Tommy?
Seriously some Fans are a joke with their negativity.. a good Academy that churns out good players IS succession planning or maybe we should just copy the clubs that don't have a successful academy and rely on other clubs academy drop outs and buying aging Aussies.

Wigan has managed to stay successful over the last 10 years because of its Academy, something that the Club and IL(who has put alot of effort into building it) should be lauded for.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.