Marshall extends deal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Marshall extends deal

Post by josie andrews »

Liam Marshall has signed a contract extension with Wigan Warriors to keep him at the DW Stadium until 2023, with an option to extend to 2024.

Marshall’s early season form has seen him called-up to the England Knights squad last week and has crossed for five tries in six appearances for the Cherry and Whites in the 2020 Betfred Super League season. Speaking about putting pen to paper on a new-deal, the 23-year-old said: “I’m really excited to commit my future to Wigan Warriors.

“I feel at home here and I’ve already been lucky enough to have made plenty of memories in a Cherry and White shirt; hopefully there are many more to come. I’m enjoying my rugby and I’m learning a lot from Adrian (Lam) and the coaching staff and I’m determined to keep on improving and build on the last few seasons.”

Marshall, who made his Wigan debut against Leigh Centurions in March 2017, has gone on to make 76 appearances for his home-town club, crossing for 62 tries. The fleet-footed winger was handed a professional contract with Wigan ahead of the 2017 season and he had a dream debut campaign, playing 24 times, scoring 23 tries and being named joint Wigan Warriors Young Player of the Year. After injuring his ACL in 2018, Marshall has regained his place on the wing in Adrian Lam’s side and was awarded the number two jersey for the 2020 season.

Watch the best tries of Liam Marshall’s Wigan career so far in the video below

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... tends-deal
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
benjamaphone

Re: Marshall extends deal

Post by benjamaphone »

Great news! Let's hope there's some more contract extensions to come!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Excellent news :D
SJ

Post by SJ »

Pleased for him and family 👍
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

He's worked really hard on his game (we'll forget last Sunday!) and deserves the extended contract.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Liam's a very good wingman. Glad he's extended his contract.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Southern Softy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:35 am He's worked really hard on his game (we'll forget last Sunday!) and deserves the extended contract.
Regardless of Sunday, couldn't agree more regarding Liam's work rate, there's no doubt this guy gives 100% and the contact extension is a credit to himself considering the competition for wing places over the past few seasons.

If Marshy had the frame, size and strength of Joe Burgess the guy would walk into the NRL! Fully deserved!
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Deserves a new contract pleased for the lad
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Of course, it's very pleasing to see him signing this extension, his general form and improvement over the last year or two has been great to see, and definitely sees him go above JB.
What we have to remember though, is for every deserving contract extension we make to these young stars, like Harvard, Byrne, Smith and so on, there is a balancing act to deliver the Salary Cap strategically. So calls from fans to sign so and so, to improve whatever position, requires a controlled approach, which often goes missing, naturally from fans' emotions, but needs to be arithmetically sustained by the Club.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Lads had some bad knee injuries (although not as bad as Manfredi) and come back strongly from them. Deserves the contract and hopefully clear of the injuries now
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: