21-man squad vs Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 3018
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by Firestarter » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:11 am

We had plenty go forward( especially in the first half)..... we seem to be going back to our usual( clueless in the last quarter).... tommy doesnt do us any favours in that part of the field.....im still shocked we lost because , field position wise , we totally outplayed them..... having no threequarter after bibby went off didnt help.....burgess needs time to get fit and i still think doms gonna take time.....apart from the kick i thought sam had a good game..... the kick was horrendous though( especially with a three man overlap)..... i didnt think frenchy had his best game last night...... he needs to inject himself as much as possible......we also need some competition in the back row as smithies has dropped off the last couple of weeks
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE

Mickw
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:22 pm

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by Mickw » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:26 am

josie andrews wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:00 am
Why do we continue to go ‘up the middle’?

Our pack get tackled as soon as they receive the ball & go to ground! We make no metres forward from our forwards. The wingers make more! If they got the ball more they would score more, but no, blunder on straight up the middle.

After the game, our players, as had been advised, not to come into contact with their fans. They came to thank us but not one came to fans or family.

As I was leaving the stadium, Hastings was just finishing his interview with Sky. There were still a fair few Salford fans behind the sticks chanting & shouting his name. He went across to them & seemed to interact with several of them!

So much for no contact with fans!
I'm getting a little bit fed up of this Hastings Salford love in ,he's on tv after a pathetic performance praising Watson saying how he's the most hard working coach he's ever had and how wonderful Salford are.
If he's that in love with Salford he can bugger off back there for me because it comes across as though he wants to be there not here and NO player has ever been that good.Have some pride in the shirt or sod off ,the charm offensive doesn't wash with me.

SJ
Posts: 1070
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:46 pm

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by SJ » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:26 am

DaveO wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:39 pm
To be 14-2 up at half time and then concede 16 unanswered points in the second half is truly pathetic. Especially against a team put together on a shoe string budget.
Says it all DavO.Sadly!

Southern Softy
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by Southern Softy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:42 am

I thought Salford improved dramatically in the second half which likely means that they adapted their tactics against us. They began to make massive yards from their set of sixes and used the inside pass down the centre which we struggled to cope with.
And what did we do? We endlessly tried to batter down the middle which wasn't working and seemed to have no real plan after the fifth tackle. Marshall and Manfredi had no chances to run because the ball never got to them.
I wonder in another world what might have happened if Watson was our coach and Lam was at Salford.

Wiganer Ted
Posts: 2516
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by Wiganer Ted » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:32 pm

The more the second half went on and we didn't score the more Salford grew in confidence. Once it went to 8-14 there was only one winner and wasn't going to be us.
Why we never went for a drop goal straight after half time to put us three scores ahead is scandalous. Three scores ahead would have killed off Salford and given our younger lads more confidence. Total lack of leadership on the field and a lack of coaching by Lam from the stand.
Two of the best wingers in SL and they never got a pass.
Tommy and Jacko were kicking straight into Salford hands at the end of our sets. Time to give Smith a start and give him defensive protection. That's if Lam can actually coach that.

No straw damn us
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by No straw damn us » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:19 pm

Wiganer Ted wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:32 pm
The more the second half went on and we didn't score the more Salford grew in confidence. Once it went to 8-14 there was only one winner and wasn't going to be us.
Why we never went for a drop goal straight after half time to put us three scores ahead is scandalous. Three scores ahead would have killed off Salford and given our younger lads more confidence. Total lack of leadership on the field and a lack of coaching by Lam from the stand.
Two of the best wingers in SL and they never got a pass.
Tommy and Jacko were kicking straight into Salford hands at the end of our sets. Time to give Smith a start and give him defensive protection. That's if Lam can actually coach that.

Missing the penalty from 20 metres out just on half time was scandalous. Harry Smiths "tackle" on Evalds was scandalous, Bevan French not dropping on the lose ball was scandalous .
Then there was the Powell kick and Byrne, Havard and Burgess caught at the ptb for the break that led to the winning try.
Lots of things that went wrong and IF one of those hadn't we win the game. Individual errors. I feel sorry for mentioning Powell and Havard because both those players were very good last night.

User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 3018
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by Firestarter » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:48 pm

No straw damn us wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:19 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:32 pm
The more the second half went on and we didn't score the more Salford grew in confidence. Once it went to 8-14 there was only one winner and wasn't going to be us.
Why we never went for a drop goal straight after half time to put us three scores ahead is scandalous. Three scores ahead would have killed off Salford and given our younger lads more confidence. Total lack of leadership on the field and a lack of coaching by Lam from the stand.
Two of the best wingers in SL and they never got a pass.
Tommy and Jacko were kicking straight into Salford hands at the end of our sets. Time to give Smith a start and give him defensive protection. That's if Lam can actually coach that.

Missing the penalty from 20 metres out just on half time was scandalous. Harry Smiths "tackle" on Evalds was scandalous, Bevan French not dropping on the lose ball was scandalous .
Then there was the Powell kick and Byrne, Havard and Burgess caught at the ptb for the break that led to the winning try.
Lots of things that went wrong and IF one of those hadn't we win the game. Individual errors. I feel sorry for mentioning Powell and Havard because both those players were very good last night.
Bang on
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE

pearsy
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:21 pm

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by pearsy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:02 pm

Felt sorry for our wingers to busy having to make the hard yards

No straw damn us
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by No straw damn us » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:58 pm

pearsy wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:02 pm
Felt sorry for our wingers to busy having to make the hard yards
Marshall 162 metres, Manfredi 88 metres,

Just to add - for Salford
Sio 147 metres, Williams 146 metres
Evalds 190 metres, Welham 147 metres, and that useless :roll: Dan Sarginson 186 metres. :oops:

So its not just Wigan who use their outside backs to make metres

https://www.superleague.co.uk/match-centre/report/3145

morley pie eater
Posts: 1751
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by morley pie eater » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:10 pm

Stat Alert

(Best in each category.)

Tackles/Marker Tackles:
Sam P - 52/12
Smithies - 47/9
Havard - 42/8
Faz - 40/8
Byrne - 35/8

Metres:

Marshy - 162
Faz - 130
Havard - 121
Hanky - 118


Tackle Busts/Clean Breaks:


Marshy - 8/2
Hastings - 5/1
Havard - 6/0
Faz - 3/1
Hanky - 2/1
Bibby - 3/0
French - 3/0
Sign the change.org petition to recognise Roy Francis' contribution to RL at
http://chng.it/yCZJsNtg

Post Reply