21-man squad vs Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by josie andrews »

Why do we continue to go ‘up the middle’?

Our pack get tackled as soon as they receive the ball & go to ground! We make no metres forward from our forwards. The wingers make more! If they got the ball more they would score more, but no, blunder on straight up the middle.

After the game, our players, as had been advised, not to come into contact with their fans. They came to thank us but not one came to fans or family.

As I was leaving the stadium, Hastings was just finishing his interview with Sky. There were still a fair few Salford fans behind the sticks chanting & shouting his name. He went across to them & seemed to interact with several of them!

So much for no contact with fans!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Simple answer our game plan is poor which is down to the coaching. We are boring to watch. We have a class player in Hastings and good finishers in French, Marshall and Manfredi but we never create space for them to run into. Our young forward pack will get better but currently we need some muscle in the back row. But more importantly we need a coach who knows how to attack, Lam promised us attacking rugby well he has had an off season to work on it but sadly he is not delivering, and the frustrating part of it is that we have the backs to play attacking rugby, if coached properly.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

warriors01 wrote:Simple answer our game plan is poor which is down to the coaching. We are boring to watch. We have a class player in Hastings and good finishers in French, Marshall and Manfredi but we never create space for them to run into. Our young forward pack will get better but currently we need some muscle in the back row. But more importantly we need a coach who knows how to attack, Lam promised us attacking rugby well he has had an off season to work on it but sadly he is not delivering, and the frustrating part of it is that we have the backs to play attacking rugby, if coached properly.
I agree. Watson with his bargain basement squad has got them working as a team. He lost his best player to us in the off season and still managed to out coach Lam. Again. Us with our marquee signings and a quality back line play one man rugby.

What was Lam doing for the second 40 minutes? He obviously had no tactical change to introduce or instructions to send on as to how to breach Salford’s defence. He was clearly clueless. He can’t rely on the likes of French pulling something out of the hat every week.

Still he’s on a rolling contract so is no doubt relatively cheap and won’t be awkward with IL and want to do things like bring in his own back room staff.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:48 am
warriors01 wrote:Simple answer our game plan is poor which is down to the coaching. We are boring to watch. We have a class player in Hastings and good finishers in French, Marshall and Manfredi but we never create space for them to run into. Our young forward pack will get better but currently we need some muscle in the back row. But more importantly we need a coach who knows how to attack, Lam promised us attacking rugby well he has had an off season to work on it but sadly he is not delivering, and the frustrating part of it is that we have the backs to play attacking rugby, if coached properly.
I agree. Watson with his bargain basement squad has got them working as a team. He lost his best player to us in the off season and still managed to out coach Lam. Again. Us with our marquee signings and a quality back line play one man rugby.

What was Lam doing for the second 40 minutes? He obviously had no tactical change to introduce or instructions to send on as to how to breach Salford’s defence. He was clearly clueless. He can’t rely on the likes of French pulling something out of the hat every week.

Still he’s on a rolling contract so is no doubt relatively cheap and won’t be awkward with IL and want to do things like bring in his own back room staff.
I liked your view until the last paragraph Dave.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Bring back Waney.
shaunedwardsfanclub

josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:00 am Why do we continue to go ‘up the middle’?

Our pack get tackled as soon as they receive the ball & go to ground! We make no metres forward from our forwards. The wingers make more! If they got the ball more they would score more, but no, blunder on straight up the middle.

After the game, our players, as had been advised, not to come into contact with their fans. They came to thank us but not one came to fans or family.

As I was leaving the stadium, Hastings was just finishing his interview with Sky. There were still a fair few Salford fans behind the sticks chanting & shouting his name. He went across to them & seemed to interact with several of them!

But Josie, the size of our pack should mean that we make metres and get on the front foot. The question is why don't we?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:48 am

I liked your view until the last paragraph Dave.
Well I was venting my frustration there but he is on a rolling contract and you won’t get a top coach on that kind of a contract regardless of whether or not he can bring his own staff.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:08 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:00 am Why do we continue to go ‘up the middle’?

But Josie, the size of our pack should mean that we make metres and get on the front foot. The question is why don't we?
Anyone getting a little bored with Hasting "love" for Salford - like I get it they gave him a chance etc but I feel like he should let it go now and just get on with being a Wigan player
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:31 am

Anyone getting a little bored with Hasting "love" for Salford - like I get it they gave him a chance etc but I feel like he should let it go now and just get on with being a Wigan player
I respect it but you have to question did he put his all in for Wigan last night?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:34 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:31 am

I respect it but you have to question did he put his all in for Wigan last night?
I feel like he did in the first half and then they all seemed to take their foot off the gas. I wouldn't say he wouldn't give his all but I don't know any other player that bangs on about their previous team (in the same league) as much as he does - at first I thought it was fair but I wonder if he will ever build that affinity with Wigan fans/team while his true love is Salford
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure