21-man squad vs Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: 21-man squad vs Salford

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Don't agree Brian, all those events you mention as scandalous were instances that happen in matches which can't be legislated for.
The lack of an attempt to go for a drop goal was part of a general lack of game management from senior players on the field and especially Lam.
Kickers miss attempts at goal and from closer than from where Hanks kicked from.
Smith's missed tackle attempts on Evalds were critical but why wasn't he protected. Bradford protected R Paul and Deacon, Saints protected Long but Smith was another man in the defensive line. Evalds isolated both Smithies and Smith and scored a well worked try for himself.

Lam's whole attitude which came over on the tv was of a man hardly interested. Winder looked more and more agitated as the 2nd half went on, Lam appeared unconcerned. His lack of concern came over in his post match SKY interview.

Lam's credibility is diminishing by the week as are the team's performances.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:08 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:00 am Why do we continue to go ‘up the middle’?

Our pack get tackled as soon as they receive the ball & go to ground! We make no metres forward from our forwards. The wingers make more! If they got the ball more they would score more, but no, blunder on straight up the middle.

After the game, our players, as had been advised, not to come into contact with their fans. They came to thank us but not one came to fans or family.

As I was leaving the stadium, Hastings was just finishing his interview with Sky. There were still a fair few Salford fans behind the sticks chanting & shouting his name. He went across to them & seemed to interact with several of them!

So much for no contact with fans!
But Josie, the size of our pack should mean that we make metres and get on the front foot. The question is why don't we?
I think that’s what I’ve just said 😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mickw wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:26 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:00 am Why do we continue to go ‘up the middle’?

Our pack get tackled as soon as they receive the ball & go to ground! We make no metres forward from our forwards. The wingers make more! If they got the ball more they would score more, but no, blunder on straight up the middle.

After the game, our players, as had been advised, not to come into contact with their fans. They came to thank us but not one came to fans or family.

As I was leaving the stadium, Hastings was just finishing his interview with Sky. There were still a fair few Salford fans behind the sticks chanting & shouting his name. He went across to them & seemed to interact with several of them!

I'm getting a little bit fed up of this Hastings Salford love in ,he's on tv after a pathetic performance praising Watson saying how he's the most hard working coach he's ever had and how wonderful Salford are.
If he's that in love with Salford he can bugger off back there for me because it comes across as though he wants to be there not here and NO player has ever been that good.Have some pride in the shirt or sod off ,the charm offensive doesn't wash with me.
Hastings: We parked the bus

Wigan's Jackson Hastings admits his team's second half performance was not good enough, after surrendering a 12-point lead to slip to defeat against Salford.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... post-match
You’re right, he sounds as if he still wants to be at Salford 🤔
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

No straw damn us wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:58 pm
pearsy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:02 pm Felt sorry for our wingers to busy having to make the hard yards
Marshall 162 metres, Manfredi 88 metres,

Just to add - for Salford
Sio 147 metres, Williams 146 metres
Evalds 190 metres, Welham 147 metres, and that useless :roll: Dan Sarginson 186 metres. :oops:

So its not just Wigan who use their outside backs to make metres

https://www.superleague.co.uk/match-centre/report/3145
I'm slightly wary of stats on their own but these are pretty damning. Marshall only made yards because they kicked to him most of the time and he ran it straight back and often came in on tackle 2 to make some more yards from defence. Manfredi hardly ever got the ball in open play because we hammered down the middle - same for Marshall. When we did move the ball wide, we were so slow that we were lucky to get as far as the centres.
What was really criminal was when Hankinson made a terrific break and no one at all followed him.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I notice in all watsons interviews he goes on about stopping the links between hastings, faz and french...... no mention of tommy...... its not rocket science what our team desperately needs
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:57 pm Anyone think Chris Hankinson is worthy of the number 3 jersey? Christ on a bike!

I thought the first half performance wasn't too bad and in all honesty, didn't expect to lose at all! Great work rate from Faz!
Regardless of injuries and lack of game time, I think George Burgess's match fitness is about as effective as Tony Clubb! Very alarming for somebody on mega bucks!

Fair play to Salford we looked flat against KR but manged to grind out the win and I expected the same tonight but clearly Salford played with more desire!
Re Hankinson absolutely YES!! He simply needs game time, after his performance at h'field he should've played last week as well, in the salford game he was the only player who made a telling break!!

The club gave him the shirt and he did well in the majority of his limited appearances last year the no 3 is justified

After that dire 2nd half our superstars went missing we didnt create anything for any centre or wingers French had options to pass but didnt when we did have extra men outside him??

We had no energy or enthusiasm to get back into the game and after several errors gifting Salford two easy tries, they are the main points which cost us the game agree Faz's work rate as ever but christ on a bike why does he always go back inside to towards the ruck area easy to defend, (he made one good break in 1st half) it seems that was our only play all night, poor game plan our tries came from hastings individual effort, powell from a fortunate offload, not the free flowing expansive rugby Lam has said we will be expecting to play
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

jackthelad wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:59 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:57 pm Anyone think Chris Hankinson is worthy of the number 3 jersey? Christ on a bike!

I thought the first half performance wasn't too bad and in all honesty, didn't expect to lose at all! Great work rate from Faz!
Regardless of injuries and lack of game time, I think George Burgess's match fitness is about as effective as Tony Clubb! Very alarming for somebody on mega bucks!

Fair play to Salford we looked flat against KR but manged to grind out the win and I expected the same tonight but clearly Salford played with more desire!
Re Hankinson absolutely YES!! He simply needs game time, after his performance at h'field he should've played last week as well, in the salford game he was the only player who made a telling break!!

The club gave him the shirt and he did well in the majority of his limited appearances last year the no 3 is justified

After that dire 2nd half our superstars went missing we didnt create anything for any centre or wingers French had options to pass but didnt when we did have extra men outside him??

We had no energy or enthusiasm to get back into the game and after several errors gifting Salford two easy tries, they are the main points which cost us the game agree Faz's work rate as ever but christ on a bike why does he always go back inside to towards the ruck area easy to defend, (he made one good break in 1st half) it seems that was our only play all night, poor game plan our tries came from hastings individual effort, powell from a fortunate offload, not the free flowing expansive rugby Lam has said we will be expecting to play
But that's my point, excluding injuries, Hank never gets near the first team and there's a reason for that and the fact he might need game time tells its own story! IMO, he isn't a 'wingers centre at all' and in a similar style to Gelling, doesn't break the line enough to warrant starting!

I agree regarding match fitness and as I've stated some 'superstars' and seasoned players fitness so far are very concerning! I also agree regarding free flowing expansive rugby!

I would have loved to see Jackson Hastings and George Williams as a combination! Its a strange one, I think last season we had a 6 (Williams) who needed a 7 and this season we have a 7 (Hastings) who needs a 6. I'm not convinced by Tommy as a 6 (although he looks well for his age), I think we need to look long-term. I think Harry Smith looks very promising and he needs to be starting to hopefully build a long-term basis with Hastings.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:31 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:08 am

But Josie, the size of our pack should mean that we make metres and get on the front foot. The question is why don't we?
Anyone getting a little bored with Hasting "love" for Salford - like I get it they gave him a chance etc but I feel like he should let it go now and just get on with being a Wigan player
He must have been told about Warriors fans reaction to his interview after the game!

https://twitter.com/jackohastings/statu ... 48900?s=21
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

My thoughts re Hastings and his "love-in" with Salford fans:

Putting to one side my bias towards Wigan for a few minutes, I find it nauseating when I see footballers "kissing the badge" when they've moved from one club to another for ridiculous amounts of money. (I don't follow the game, but Paul Pogba seems to be a prime example of putting himself first. He's apparently trying to raise £20-odd thousand for a worthy cause - he could quietly give that amount per week from his loose change.)

So Hastings comes over from Aus with a "naughty boy" label. He plays for an unfashionable SL team and seems to build a relationship with their fans and the local community. Are we saying that he should immediately transfer this to Wigan and their fans, leaving himself open to the accusation that it was false?

What have Wigan fans done to warrant him showing us the same affection? If he reads this forum, he'll soon realise that as soon as one of your passes gets intercepted leading to an opposition try, or if an attempted kick near the try line goes wrong . . . you'll go down 50% or more in "fans" ratings.

On the other hand he could kiss the badge every time we score a try, ignore the Salford fans, and we're all happy....until/unless he becomes the latest scapegoat (cf Matty Smith, Sam Powell etc etc).
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:56 pm My thoughts re Hastings and his "love-in" with Salford fans:

Putting to one side my bias towards Wigan for a few minutes, I find it nauseating when I see footballers "kissing the badge" when they've moved from one club to another for ridiculous amounts of money. (I don't follow the game, but Paul Pogba seems to be a prime example of putting himself first. He's apparently trying to raise £20-odd thousand for a worthy cause - he could quietly give that amount per week from his loose change.)

So Hastings comes over from Aus with a "naughty boy" label. He plays for an unfashionable SL team and seems to build a relationship with their fans and the local community. Are we saying that he should immediately transfer this to Wigan and their fans, leaving himself open to the accusation that it was false?

What have Wigan fans done to warrant him showing us the same affection? If he reads this forum, he'll soon realise that as soon as one of your passes gets intercepted leading to an opposition try, or if an attempted kick near the try line goes wrong . . . you'll go down 50% or more in "fans" ratings.

On the other hand he could kiss the badge every time we score a try, ignore the Salford fans, and we're all happy....until/unless he becomes the latest scapegoat (cf Matty Smith, Sam Powell etc etc).
No one is asking him to drop all ties with Salford but equally ill ask the question again - how are the wigan fans supposed to build up that affinity with us if he still seems to hold the salford fans/club/community in higher regard.

Its like someone leaving one relationship and entering another, you dont have to slag off your ex but you in turn would not expect to talk about them constantly in glowing fashion to your new partner
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure