Lam

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
superleague

Lam

Post by superleague »

Not a knee jerk reaction as I've slept on it but, last night clearly shows his incompetence as a head coach, our attack is awful just relying on moments from individuals, we look to have no structure or set moves and certainly no plan B.

Our defence is decent enough but our ruck control is rubbish as is our ability to stop offloads and our fitness at times looks very suspect having players out of position blowing out the arse trying to make the defensive line.

Another thing that stinks the place out is our attitude compare that to of Salford's for example.

All in all I'd certainly not be renewing Lams contact, he Imo will never take Wigan forward, last night comparing Lam and Watson was chalk and cheese, ones a good coach and ones not.
Firestarter

Re: Lam

Post by Firestarter »

Ive always defended lam but last night made me wonder...... one thing that bugs me is why we always look super unfit until late every season? Is it how we train?the link , hastings to french got stifled last night with the consistent hastings to faz pass...... this worked wonders first half but the homework was clearly done by there coach at half time...... maybe we are so dependant on hastings( as we were george) because our other half still isnt creating....... please give smith a chance from the start lammy and lets see if we can finish teams off that are clearly beaten....... another thing is that tommy changed the game last week from the hooking role....... him there and sam went to loose and it actually worked...... we were embarrassingly out coached last night im sad to say
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

I've given him time and I know he doesn't sign the players which is why Edwards isn't here but he seems to pick a team each week on the basis that its your turn ,theres been one decent 40 minutes this season either side of half time at huddersfield, the rest has been mid table form ,when the kids are better than the senior players then whoever's recruiting em needs to walk.
The whole feel of the club is that of a franchise and the sence of who we are is not there at the moment and we're not connecting with the wigan public, it's like we're apologizing for being Wigan .
Our recruitment is it seems to me at best a random stab in the dark to fit the salary cap rather than structured forward planning and whilst that continues the crowds will stay away and the club will struggle with its identity. Lam is symbolic of this just fill a gap for a year mentality.
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

I Said on here last season about his relationship with the physios etc . Clearly out of his depth and his arrogance is something else , in last nights interview he said the first 40 was the best rugby we had played ??? Up the middle one man , play what you see rugby won’t win trophy’s .
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I was a huge advocate of Adrian Lam in 2019 and full of praise for him! Despite the fact many fans questioned his ability and the season overall, I think he 'steadied the ship'......and this was needed!

I did however make the point (and I stand by this) at the start if the season, that we have a squad more than capable of lifting silverware and it needs to happen!

I dont think we have made a spectacular start to 2020 but equally so, it hasn't been a disaster! I must admit, I thought the Hull KR game was a very flat performance and yesterday, I didn't expect us to lose in the second half.

Certainly agree with previous posts regarding match fitness! Very concerning!
Alovepie

Post by Alovepie »

I have to agree fitness is key to everything it was hard to watch last night especially when those tries conceded were through lack of fitness. George Burgess I’m questioning whether he’s came over with the right attitude his fitness levels are appalling I expect a big impact every time he takes to the field and not the lack lustre effort he’s giving us. I think Jackson Hastings got the monkey off his back last night Salford was always gonna be tough one for him next time we play them hopefully he won’t be so respectful to them. And I’m not sure if Lam is qualified enough for head coach or it could be he lacks passion a good player doesn’t always make a good coach, I want to see a Wigan that plays with some fire and passion in there hearts, there’s no disgrace in losing the fight if you’ve actually put up a fight.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It was Lam's lack of game awareness that staggered me.
Hankinson missed the penalty just before half time. So once out for the 2nd half surely they should have gone for a score to put them three scores ahead. Even if that was through a drop goal.
Three scores ahead would have taken the pressure off our younger players to get a score and also killed off Salford. We didn't, instead we continued to play the one man up the middle rugby. Boring, pointless and useless. Wasn't this discussed in the h/t talks? Why didn't the senior players sort it and if they weren't why didn't the instruction from the coaches go down to get that dg and go three scores ahead?
The longer the 2nd half went on and we didn't score the more Salford grew in confidence. Once Salford made in 8-14 there was only going to be one winner and it wasn't us.
When they tv cameras showed our coaches Winder was looking more and more concerned as the half went on. As for Lam he gave the impression "well so what it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things".
His post match interview confirmed this to me.
Complacency was written all over and his conversation was dreadful for a losing coach.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:21 pm It was Lam's lack of game awareness that staggered me.
Hankinson missed the penalty just before half time. So once out for the 2nd half surely they should have gone for a score to put them three scores ahead. Even if that was through a drop goal.
Three scores ahead would have taken the pressure off our younger players to get a score and also killed off Salford. We didn't, instead we continued to play the one man up the middle rugby. Boring, pointless and useless. Wasn't this discussed in the h/t talks? Why didn't the senior players sort it and if they weren't why didn't the instruction from the coaches go down to get that dg and go three scores ahead?
The longer the 2nd half went on and we didn't score the more Salford grew in confidence. Once Salford made in 8-14 there was only going to be one winner and it wasn't us.
When they tv cameras showed our coaches Winder was looking more and more concerned as the half went on. As for Lam he gave the impression "well so what it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things".
His post match interview confirmed this to me.
Complacency was written all over and his conversation was dreadful for a losing coach.
You can tell all that from his expression, marvellous.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

I have seen animated coaches, some pacing up and down the touchline looking as if they are looking for their next prey. I have seen some that are in constant discussions either via walkie talkie or with an assistant in the stands. I even remember Andy Goodway as head coach appearing as if he was asleep in the gantry until the Wigan fans booed him and he lent forwards as if the impending loss actually mattered to him

Last night Lam looked as if the game was spoiling a pre-arranged meal out for the family or the opportunity to catch-up on the evenings telly the way he appeared throughout. If you even look at his half time discussion with the players, it appears as thought he was only talking to Farrell and Isa and not addressing them all as a team and the cracks that Salford HAD started to open up in the second half of the first period.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Firestarter wrote:....the link , hastings to french got stifled last night with the consistent hastings to faz pass...... this worked wonders first half but the homework was clearly done by there coach at half time......
This is the key point and illustrates why Watson is a good coach and Lam isn’t. Watson worked out what Wigan were doing and fixed it. Wigan just kept doing the same thing despite the obviously fact it was no longer working.

Lam should have not only anticipated a reaction from Watson but should have had alternative tactics ready to be deployed by simply sending a message out to the players. The plan B.

Instead we just carried on the same way when it wasn’t working. 40 minutes of not having a clue how to change things around. Useless.