Is it time to pause Super League?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.

Super League pause for COvid-19?

Yes
14
74%
No
5
26%
 
Total votes: 19

CheshireWarrior
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Re: Is it time to pause Super League?

Post by CheshireWarrior » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 am

Personally, I think all fans should be given the option as to whether we attend games or not?

Lets face it, there is enough education and literature regarding covid-19 and it has clearly been identified which groups are more vulnerable and symptoms and 'self-isolation'

If fans had the option to attend (providing all SL teams and the RFL decided to continue), do we think ours gates would dramatically decrease?

The FA Premier League has already been suspended, did that influence the Cas fans at the weekend....dont think so!

It would have been nice to be at least given the option!

User avatar
jaws1
Posts: 2765
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Is it time to pause Super League?

Post by jaws1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:22 am

CheshireWarrior wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 am
Personally, I think all fans should be given the option as to whether we attend games or not?

Lets face it, there is enough education and literature regarding covid-19 and it has clearly been identified which groups are more vulnerable and symptoms and 'self-isolation'

If fans had the option to attend (providing all SL teams and the RFL decided to continue), do we think ours gates would dramatically decrease?

The FA Premier League has already been suspended, did that influence the Cas fans at the weekend....dont think so!

It would have been nice to be at least given the option!
So you would see the virus spread if that's what you would prefer I would sooner lives were saved rather than watch a rugby match as much as I love the game. Yes there are vulnerable people my wife being one but to catch it they have to be in contact with a person who has covid-19.Would you if you attended a rugby match and some one passed it on to you then you infected your family worst scenario one of your family dies then would you say it was my option to attend games? The cancellation of Sport is trying to stop the virus spreading the Grand National, TT races .Football,Rugby Union even darts and basketball cancelled.Do we want to end up like Italy and Spain everybody confined to their houses.

CheshireWarrior
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Re: Is it time to pause Super League?

Post by CheshireWarrior » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:39 am

And that's exactly my point...…'ifs and buts'!

At no point have I stated that 'I would see the virus spread if that's what I prefer', that's you very dangerously and inappropriately totally rephrasing what I've said!

I'm not disputing the logic behind suspending sporting events, I'm saying it would have been nice to offer fans a choice whether to attend or not! As I've stated (and its FACT) there is no mystery around covid-19, its discovered, diagnosed and symptoms are recognised!

Unless I'm missing something, having read many articles about Castleford fans self-isolating (as a result of the Stains game) and even if this was the case, look at the numbers who CHOSE to attend (without gun to head I might add)!

Old warrior Mike
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:24 pm

Re: Is it time to pause Super League?

Post by Old warrior Mike » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:29 am

No matter how much we love the game suspension of a couple of games is not the end of the world -and if it saves just 1 life it is worth it

User avatar
Mike
Site Admin
Posts: 5412
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Is it time to pause Super League?

Post by Mike » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:57 am

CheshireWarrior wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:39 am
And that's exactly my point...…'ifs and buts'!

At no point have I stated that 'I would see the virus spread if that's what I prefer', that's you very dangerously and inappropriately totally rephrasing what I've said!

I'm not disputing the logic behind suspending sporting events, I'm saying it would have been nice to offer fans a choice whether to attend or not! As I've stated (and its FACT) there is no mystery around covid-19, its discovered, diagnosed and symptoms are recognised!

Unless I'm missing something, having read many articles about Castleford fans self-isolating (as a result of the Stains game) and even if this was the case, look at the numbers who CHOSE to attend (without gun to head I might add)!

You can have it and have no symptoms and pass it along. So how do you decide whether it's safe to go to the rugby without passing it on?

User avatar
jaws1
Posts: 2765
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Is it time to pause Super League?

Post by jaws1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:10 pm

CheshireWarrior wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:39 am
And that's exactly my point...…'ifs and buts'!

At no point have I stated that 'I would see the virus spread if that's what I prefer', that's you very dangerously and inappropriately totally rephrasing what I've said!

I'm not disputing the logic behind suspending sporting events, I'm saying it would have been nice to offer fans a choice whether to attend or not! As I've stated (and its FACT) there is no mystery around covid-19, its discovered, diagnosed and symptoms are recognised!

Unless I'm missing something, having read many articles about Castleford fans self-isolating (as a result of the Stains game) and even if this was the case, look at the numbers who CHOSE to attend (without gun to head I might add)!
Cas fans had no gun to their heads on Sunday hope no one catches the virus but from what the Government were saying yesterday in the light of that would they have watched the game. Grand National And TT races cancelled after this disclosure Covid 19 is spread person to person and not airborne like flu the government brought the measures in to slow the outbreak if you want to hide your head in the sand so be it. We may not have a choice in the matter the country could be on lock down Europe is in lock down at the moment all borders shut. Yes the symptoms and the facts are there about covid 19 but its the vulnerable that are at risk and they catch it with being in contact with someone who has it.The world will never be the same its not just people dying its jobs and companys going bankrupt.

CheshireWarrior
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Re: Is it time to pause Super League?

Post by CheshireWarrior » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:24 pm

Mike wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:57 am
CheshireWarrior wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:39 am
And that's exactly my point...…'ifs and buts'!

At no point have I stated that 'I would see the virus spread if that's what I prefer', that's you very dangerously and inappropriately totally rephrasing what I've said!

I'm not disputing the logic behind suspending sporting events, I'm saying it would have been nice to offer fans a choice whether to attend or not! As I've stated (and its FACT) there is no mystery around covid-19, its discovered, diagnosed and symptoms are recognised!

Unless I'm missing something, having read many articles about Castleford fans self-isolating (as a result of the Stains game) and even if this was the case, look at the numbers who CHOSE to attend (without gun to head I might add)!

You can have it and have no symptoms and pass it along. So how do you decide whether it's safe to go to the rugby without passing it on?
I dont dispute that at all Mike, but equally so, you could equally start having the mindset of 'when do you decide if or when you leave your own home'?

I'm not saying I disapprove of the suspension, I just think with the fact we are extremely knowledgeable about covid-19 (government, chief medical officer etc) and all guidelines and advice are apparent and its no mystery, its important also to remain level headed and balanced.

CheshireWarrior
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Re: Is it time to pause Super League?

Post by CheshireWarrior » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:33 pm

jaws1 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:10 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:39 am
And that's exactly my point...…'ifs and buts'!

At no point have I stated that 'I would see the virus spread if that's what I prefer', that's you very dangerously and inappropriately totally rephrasing what I've said!

I'm not disputing the logic behind suspending sporting events, I'm saying it would have been nice to offer fans a choice whether to attend or not! As I've stated (and its FACT) there is no mystery around covid-19, its discovered, diagnosed and symptoms are recognised!

Unless I'm missing something, having read many articles about Castleford fans self-isolating (as a result of the Stains game) and even if this was the case, look at the numbers who CHOSE to attend (without gun to head I might add)!
Cas fans had no gun to their heads on Sunday hope no one catches the virus but from what the Government were saying yesterday in the light of that would they have watched the game. Grand National And TT races cancelled after this disclosure Covid 19 is spread person to person and not airborne like flu the government brought the measures in to slow the outbreak if you want to hide your head in the sand so be it. We may not have a choice in the matter the country could be on lock down Europe is in lock down at the moment all borders shut. Yes the symptoms and the facts are there about covid 19 but its the vulnerable that are at risk and they catch it with being in contact with someone who has it.The world will never be the same its not just people dying its jobs and companys going bankrupt.
I equally hope no Cas, RL fans or anybody contacts this virus.

I'm not disputing that covid-19 is passed person to person or that certain individuals in society are more susceptible than others.

I can also see the logic behind the suspension and I would hate for any RL fans to also miss any game day experiences, I just think considering the expert knowledge, how well informed we are and that fact that EVERYONE is vulnerable and you can risk assess yourself personally, id like to see the season commence ASAP! I dont expect people to agree, but if the game had gone ahead Sunday, it would have been interesting to see how many fans attended?

User avatar
Mike
Site Admin
Posts: 5412
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Is it time to pause Super League?

Post by Mike » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:46 pm

CheshireWarrior wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:33 pm
jaws1 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:10 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:39 am
And that's exactly my point...…'ifs and buts'!

At no point have I stated that 'I would see the virus spread if that's what I prefer', that's you very dangerously and inappropriately totally rephrasing what I've said!

I'm not disputing the logic behind suspending sporting events, I'm saying it would have been nice to offer fans a choice whether to attend or not! As I've stated (and its FACT) there is no mystery around covid-19, its discovered, diagnosed and symptoms are recognised!

Unless I'm missing something, having read many articles about Castleford fans self-isolating (as a result of the Stains game) and even if this was the case, look at the numbers who CHOSE to attend (without gun to head I might add)!
Cas fans had no gun to their heads on Sunday hope no one catches the virus but from what the Government were saying yesterday in the light of that would they have watched the game. Grand National And TT races cancelled after this disclosure Covid 19 is spread person to person and not airborne like flu the government brought the measures in to slow the outbreak if you want to hide your head in the sand so be it. We may not have a choice in the matter the country could be on lock down Europe is in lock down at the moment all borders shut. Yes the symptoms and the facts are there about covid 19 but its the vulnerable that are at risk and they catch it with being in contact with someone who has it.The world will never be the same its not just people dying its jobs and companys going bankrupt.
I equally hope no Cas, RL fans or anybody contacts this virus.

I'm not disputing that covid-19 is passed person to person or that certain individuals in society are more susceptible than others.

I can also see the logic behind the suspension and I would hate for any RL fans to also miss any game day experiences, I just think considering the expert knowledge, how well informed we are and that fact that EVERYONE is vulnerable and you can risk assess yourself personally, id like to see the season commence ASAP! I dont expect people to agree, but if the game had gone ahead Sunday, it would have been interesting to see how many fans attended?
If the game was on, a whole bunch of people would have gone because they could, and its not very likely that they get it and they aren't really at risk anyway, so its fine. Then some would have got it, and some would have given it to their friends down the pub, and then those friends gave it to their grannies and who would have all had to go to hospital but there aren't enough beds or ventilators because lots of people got it all of a sudden. So they would have to cough in the corridor and more of them would die than if everyone hadn't got it all at the same time. And their friends gave it to their children, who went to school and gave it to their parents one of whom's a doctor in A+E. So now there's not enough doctors at the hopsital because they all got it at the same time.

The strategy is to smooth out the peak of infections so that our emergency services have a better shot at coping with limited resources. That way we save more lives. Unfortunately the choice the person who went to the game made at the beginning is so far away from the potential consequences and the impact is so unlikely for an individual but almost certain over a whole population is very difficult for an individual to assess, so who would decide not to go and who would decide to go? If anyone goes the risk increases, but can an individual decide by how much they are contributing to that risk and make the informed decision you want them to when they don't know who many others will be there and what the combined risk to the rest of the population will be? Its cumulative and each individual could rightly say them personally going is such a small risk that there's no problem. Except when lots all turn up and now there is a definitely a problem.

And everyone has bought all the bog roll.

WarriorWinger
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:32 pm

Re: Is it time to pause Super League?

Post by WarriorWinger » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:53 pm

I take it you have locked yourself away then for the foreseeable future, given that your scenario could fit with every day life

Post Reply