Postponed until April?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Postponed until April?

Post by ancientnloyal »

https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Comparison has been made between current crisis and WWII.

Got me thinking 2 aspects from then which may apply:

1. After cancelling sporting fixtures at the start of war, they realised that the miners, ammunition factory workers and the like needed a break to keep their spirits up. Sporting fixtures resumed, albeit on a kind of friendly basis. (Don't get me going on Leeds' claims to include wartime challenge cups in their records!)
Now I know we can't allow crowds to spread the virus, but we have Sky. If this thing goes on for months, surely "behind closed doors" games should be arranged and shown on Sky or BBC or both?

2. When the war ended we experienced record crowds through the rest of the 1940s. This time...?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:58 pm Comparison has been made between current crisis and WWII.

Got me thinking 2 aspects from then which may apply:

1. After cancelling sporting fixtures at the start of war, they realised that the miners, ammunition factory workers and the like needed a break to keep their spirits up. Sporting fixtures resumed, albeit on a kind of friendly basis. (Don't get me going on Leeds' claims to include wartime challenge cups in their records!)
Now I know we can't allow crowds to spread the virus, but we have Sky. If this thing goes on for months, surely "behind closed doors" games should be arranged and shown on Sky or BBC or both?

2. When the war ended we experienced record crowds through the rest of the 1940s. This time...?
Good points to be fair!

Would certainly like to think that fans from SL/Championship clubs etc, will flock to games after what is more than likely going to be quite some time until the season resumes!

Two instant questions that spring to mind regarding playing behind closed doors,

1. Logistically how are Catalans fixtures going to be upheld (in France or UK), especially considering travelling restrictions?

2. I suppose all it takes is one player, coach, physio, match official etc to carry covid-19 (without being diagnosed or aware) or exposed and then the opposing teams camp is possibly exposed and then where does that leave the season going forwards?