Pay cut could get as high as 75 per cent, says George Burgess

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Pay cut could get as high as 75 per cent, says George Burgess

Post by josie andrews »

George Burgess says players may need to take pay cuts of up to 75 per cent.

The prop - who joined Wigan on a marquee contract this year - revealed the figure when interviewed by his older brother Sam on Fox League.

“The club has been good and has been keeping us updated on our pays and I think across the board players are going to have to take a pay cut, which is what needs to be done to keep the game alive over here," he said.

“It could get as high as 75 per cent cut of our wages. We’ve been told that’s what needs to come for the game to survive at the very minimum.

“It’s a big one, but it’s a game that we all love and it’s a game that we’re willing to sacrifice to keep going.”

Super League executive chairman Robert Elstone revealed yesterday clubs are planning to introduce furloughing for both employees and players during the enforced lay-off.

It means they are on an unpaid leave of absence although the government is covering 80 per cent of the salary, through a grant, up to £2,500 a month.

Proposed measures in the NRL seem even harsher, with Canberra hooker Josh Hodgson telling Fox League: “We only finished playing last week. To say we might not even get paid in two weeks is a weird one.

“I think we are guaranteed one pay but after that I am not sure.”

Such a move would impact on ex-Wigan trio George Williams, Ryan Sutton and John Bateman, who are also at the Raiders.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ss-2518502
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan