Brett Kenny

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Brett Kenny

Post by Firestarter »

pedro wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:26 am
Firestarter wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:17 pm Steve ella was a better stand off for wigan( which is no disrespect to kenny)
no way, look at the parra legends team, Kenny was far better than Lewis also
I never said ella was a better stand off....... i said he was a better stand off for wigan...... I watched more or less all there games for wigan...... ella was way more consistent...... both were class though pal
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:06 am
Firestarter wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:17 pm Steve ella was a better stand off for wigan( which is no disrespect to kenny)
I never said ella was a better stand off....... i said he was a better stand off for wigan...... I watched more or less all there games for wigan...... ella was way more consistent...... both were class though pal
The thing with kenny was he was a moody player....... if he was in the mood he was the best...... say no more
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:00 pm
jao 711 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:16 pm
Mike wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:30 pm OVerhyped, didn't even come for a full season, just putting himself in the shop window, wanted to go straight back to Aus, didn't really love wigan, cared more about his other clubs, only wanted to win things for this own profile...
He didn’t come for a full season because it had to fit in with his Parramatta off season as usually happened then with our players going the other way.Why would he need to put himself in the shop window when he was already an international and Origin player with two Grand Final MOTM awards in 1982 and ‘83 plus a GoldenBoot winner in 1985.Parramatta was his only club(besides Wigan)and he played his full career there. As for being “lazy” I remember how when we were getting nowhere he would stand back and take a good look around and then usually do something special.I remember David Stephenson saying he would take a tackle himself before he would let someone else get buried. Pure class.
im guessing Mikes post was a tongue in cheek reply due to the current Jackson Hastings comments
Maybe,but there a lot of posters on here that weren’t watching 35 yrs ago.
Ella was great player., Lewis was incredible.. They have had some great players since then,but that was a golden era in every position,Meninga Pearce Miles Grothe Dowling Roache and many more.
pedro

Post by pedro »

I dont think he was, Ella had a better team around him that Kenny did at Wigan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

pedro wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:10 pm

I dont think he was, Ella had a better team around him that Kenny did at Wigan
thats a fair comment Pedro because he did for sure...... kennys worst performance, by far, was against saints in the semi of the premiership....... he stank that game
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Imo, our best overseas player ever( in my era) was dean bell...... what a player, what a leader......... very rarely had a bad game and was always willing to put his body on the line....... not many players had it all, but he did......... pace, aggression, reading of a game,demon side step and swerve, awsome tackler, his passing/timing was as good as any centre ive seen........ you never saw much of big mal meninga when deano was his opposite in the NZ colours
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Of course Dean Bell was a very very good player.

Definitely in my all time Wigan XIII
SJ

Post by SJ »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:01 pm Of course Dean Bell was a very very good player.

I agree. Only seen hi flettened once. Jarred McCracken when guesting for Saint. The kiwi was spotting Dean. Deam was a real Warrior and wrote a book "Ultimate Warrior " which personified him although wasn't meant to. Great Captain. !
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

SJ wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:44 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:01 pm Of course Dean Bell was a very very good player.

I agree. Only seen hi flettened once. Jarred McCracken when guesting for Saint. The kiwi was spotting Dean. Deam was a real Warrior and wrote a book "Ultimate Warrior " which personified him although wasn't meant to. Great Captain. !
Yea i was there..... he got up and still made sure he got to play the ball himself...... i think he reminded mcraken of the score, or pointed to the scoreboard......or something like that....... ive read his book which is good
SJ

Post by SJ »

Yes me too. Wonderful memories 👍🏉