all time favourite teams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: all time favourite teams

Post by Firestarter »

pedro wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:42 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:39 pm Personally on the field of play i reckon preston is the fastest winger ive ever seen..... his acceleration was second to none
Robinsons was the best for me and still Offiah over 100
ide probably say robinson first 15...... preston first 50 and offiah 100........ i reckon lydon at widnes and drummond at leigh would have give offiah a run in there day
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
pedro

Post by pedro »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:47 pm
pedro wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:42 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:39 pm Personally on the field of play i reckon preston is the fastest winger ive ever seen..... his acceleration was second to none
Robinsons was the best for me and still Offiah over 100
ide probably say robinson first 15...... preston first 50 and offiah 100........ i reckon lydon at widnes and drummond at leigh would have give offiah a run in there day
no chance
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I think it's easy to overestimate rugby players speed when comparing to sprinters.

Henley-Smith did a confirmed 10.4 seconds for 100m.

I don't have the stats but I would say that is probably the fastest ever for a Wigan RL player.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

That ormonroyd bloke beat offiah in a sprint but offiah left him for dead on the field of play....... john bentley of leeds/halifax was known to catch offiah from time to time...... ive seen preston leave him for dust........ douggie laughton claimed that brimah kebbie was faster than offiah yet preston went round him like he was running in knee deep mud...... its all on the day.......weve seen joe burgess caught by a second rower and hes our fastest player apparently
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wintergreen wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:57 am I think it's easy to overestimate rugby players speed when comparing to sprinters.

Henley-Smith did a confirmed 10.4 seconds for 100m.

I don't have the stats but I would say that is probably the fastest ever for a Wigan RL player.
Henley smith was signed as a sprinter...... pity we never really got to see him pin his ears back...... i think offiah and preston got clocked at 10.1 ish for 100 yards which proves how much faster smith was...... theres so many ifs and buts about sprinting on the rugby pitch though
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:04 am That ormonroyd bloke beat offiah in a sprint but offiah left him for dead on the field of play....... john bentley of leeds/halifax was known to catch offiah from time to time...... ive seen preston leave him for dust........ douggie laughton claimed that brimah kebbie was faster than offiah yet preston went round him like he was running in knee deep mud...... its all on the day.......weve seen joe burgess caught by a second rower and hes our fastest player apparently
Weren't there rumours of Offiah throwing that one?

Anyway I agree it is very hard to compare, which is why an official 100m time is the only way imo.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wintergreen wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:18 am
Firestarter wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:04 am That ormonroyd bloke beat offiah in a sprint but offiah left him for dead on the field of play....... john bentley of leeds/halifax was known to catch offiah from time to time...... ive seen preston leave him for dust........ douggie laughton claimed that brimah kebbie was faster than offiah yet preston went round him like he was running in knee deep mud...... its all on the day.......weve seen joe burgess caught by a second rower and hes our fastest player apparently
Weren't there rumours of Offiah throwing that one?

Anyway I agree it is very hard to compare, which is why an official 100m time is the only way imo.
Yea i heard that wg.......i personally thought offiah lost a yard at wigan because he was quicker ( and a lot lighter) at widnes......thats when his step came in more often
pedro

Post by pedro »

never saw bentley catch offiah, douggie laughton obviosly didnt know what he was on about, a fit joe burgess would be caught by many, offiah slipped at the start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K-pyGm ... f_PGZsUFEM
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

pedro wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:10 pm
never saw bentley catch offiah, douggie laughton obviosly didnt know what he was on about, a fit joe burgess would be caught by many, offiah slipped at the start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K-pyGm ... f_PGZsUFEM
and offiah was also caught at times...... i cant remember preston ever getting caught....... he scored a couple of long rangers against us for fax
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

NRL based players and the odd SL game. Super League ERA.

1. Billy Slater
2. Wendell Sailor
3. Greg Inglis
4. Mark Gasnier
5. Nigel Vagana
6. Laurie Daley
7. Andrew Johns
8. Petero Civoniceva
9. Cameron Smith
10. Shaun Webke
11. Gordon Tallis
12. Stephen Kearney