all time favourite teams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us

Re: all time favourite teams

Post by No straw damn us »

Hunslet Hawks only came into existence in 1995 which is 3 years after Robinson signed for Wigan so obviously something is wrong.

Also according to Terry Newtons book he signed for Warrington when he was 14 which was illegal. He then signed for Leeds when he was 16 and that's why they won the case.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/play ... mmary.html

The Rugby League Project. Full playing career of Jason Robinson. Starts with Wigan in 1992. No mention of Hunslet.

His Wiki entry has no Wigan stats, but all his union games. This possibly suggests it was done by a union statistician or fan who couldn't be bothered checking his league career. Note that anybody can do a Wikipedia entry - it relies on someone correcting it.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Check Jason Robinson on Wikipedia. I've deleted Hunslet and added his international points scored.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

It had him scoring against Barrow for Hunslet but you deleted it? They obviously did their homework enough to know that, Hunslet were renamed Hunslet Hawks in 1995, I suggest you put it back in, its the equivalent to playing for Widnes and Leigh, you might have to do your homework and put it all back in.
pedro

Post by pedro »

9. Before fame
He made his debut in 1991 as a member of the Hunslet club and played only one year for them before playing for Wigan.

https://www.ruck.co.uk/jason-robinson-1 ... -legend/3/
morley pie eater

pedro wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:22 am 9. Before fame
He made his debut in 1991 as a member of the Hunslet club and played only one year for them before playing for Wigan.

Hi Pedro. I appreciate what you've found here, but don't find your tone helpful the way I read it, though I accept it's difficult to "read" someone's attitude.

I want to find the truth. Jason Robinson's autobiography clearly indicates that he went from Hunslet Parkside to Wigan. Furthermore it quotes at length from Eric Hawley who says he watched JR for Hunslet Parkside at Featherstone Sports Centre, then one more game, then took him to meet Maurice as Wigan were playing at Wakefield.

The book also has a picture of JR in the triumphant Wigan Academy team in May 1991, having beaten Hull in the final. He was 16.

I don't see any real evidence that he played for Hunslet. The RL Project is a major source of data on RL (it's cited on Wikipedia for JR's international stats, but not for the Hunslet ones).

The piece you've quoted above could well have been written by someone who looked on Wikipedia for their info.

Do your homework, produce some real evidence, maybe a Yorkshire Evening Post picture of him scoring for Hunslet, and I'll alter the Wiki entry. Or go on Wiki and do it yourself.

Good luck. It can be time-consuming. Have fun.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Sorry to bore everyone with this, but here's hopefully my final bit of evidence:

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams ... ayers.html

Lists every player who played for Hunslet, New Hunslet or Hunslet Hawks with their stats. Ever. 1800s to present.

There are 5 or 6 Robinson's:

Adam - stand off/ front row (!)
Andy - wing/centre
Craig - bench
Craig - half back (prob same person)
Darren - hooker
Paul - second row

That's it! No Jason.

It would be a big stretch to think they've gone to the trouble of listing players who only made 1 appearance in 1903, but forgot to include Jason Robinson.

What do you think, Pedro?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:10 pm
pedro wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:22 am 9. Before fame

Hi Pedro. I appreciate what you've found here, but don't find your tone helpful the way I read it, though I accept it's difficult to "read" someone's attitude.

I want to find the truth. Jason Robinson's autobiography clearly indicates that he went from Hunslet Parkside to Wigan. Furthermore it quotes at length from Eric Hawley who says he watched JR for Hunslet Parkside at Featherstone Sports Centre, then one more game, then took him to meet Maurice as Wigan were playing at Wakefield.

The book also has a picture of JR in the triumphant Wigan Academy team in May 1991, having beaten Hull in the final. He was 16.

I don't see any real evidence that he played for Hunslet. The RL Project is a major source of data on RL (it's cited on Wikipedia for JR's international stats, but not for the Hunslet ones).

The piece you've quoted above could well have been written by someone who looked on Wikipedia for their info.

Do your homework, produce some real evidence, maybe a Yorkshire Evening Post picture of him scoring for Hunslet, and I'll alter the Wiki entry. Or go on Wiki and do it yourself.

Good luck. It can be time-consuming. Have fun.
so he played for Wigan in 91? Your source says he started at Wigan in 92.....so your source isnt the best, check on a player I know played for Wigan and he wasnt on there so its poor.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

But that can't be right as Hunslet Hawks only cane into existence in 1995, unless of course they were an amatuer team in 1991?