all time favourite teams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater
Posts: 1553
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: all time favourite teams

Post by morley pie eater » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:23 pm

pedro wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:36 am
No Newton signed for Leeds and Wigan when hew was at Judes, Leeds took Wigan to court and won so Newton went to Leeds then Wigan signed him from there a few years later, Robinson played for Hunslt after Parkside so was a semi pro player in the lower divisions before signing for wigan, Charnley and farrell were both Academy players but went out on loan and played first team rugby for other clubs before breaking into the Wigan first team
Sorry Pedro, but you're wrong. I dug out Jason Robinson's autobiography and he clearly states that he started at Hunslet Boys Club, moved to Hunslet Parkside, then Leeds tried to sign him. He should have had a trial for them but didn't because Parkside we're playing St Pats on the same day and he didn't want to miss. He then signed for Wigan. See page 29 of "Finding my Feet", published 2003.

The booze hound
Posts: 711
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:05 am

Re: all time favourite teams

Post by The booze hound » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:44 pm

morley pie eater wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:23 pm
pedro wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:36 am
No Newton signed for Leeds and Wigan when hew was at Judes, Leeds took Wigan to court and won so Newton went to Leeds then Wigan signed him from there a few years later, Robinson played for Hunslt after Parkside so was a semi pro player in the lower divisions before signing for wigan, Charnley and farrell were both Academy players but went out on loan and played first team rugby for other clubs before breaking into the Wigan first team
Sorry Pedro, but you're wrong. I dug out Jason Robinson's autobiography and he clearly states that he started at Hunslet Boys Club, moved to Hunslet Parkside, then Leeds tried to sign him. He should have had a trial for them but didn't because Parkside we're playing St Pats on the same day and he didn't want to miss. He then signed for Wigan. See page 29 of "Finding my Feet", published 2003.
Wiki says Robinson played for Hunslet Boys Club, then Hunslet Parkside and then Hunslet Hawks (semi-pro) in 1991 playing 27 times and scoring 59 points.

morley pie eater
Posts: 1553
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: all time favourite teams

Post by morley pie eater » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:06 pm

The booze hound wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:44 pm
morley pie eater wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:23 pm
pedro wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:36 am
No Newton signed for Leeds and Wigan when hew was at Judes, Leeds took Wigan to court and won so Newton went to Leeds then Wigan signed him from there a few years later, Robinson played for Hunslt after Parkside so was a semi pro player in the lower divisions before signing for wigan, Charnley and farrell were both Academy players but went out on loan and played first team rugby for other clubs before breaking into the Wigan first team
Sorry Pedro, but you're wrong. I dug out Jason Robinson's autobiography and he clearly states that he started at Hunslet Boys Club, moved to Hunslet Parkside, then Leeds tried to sign him. He should have had a trial for them but didn't because Parkside we're playing St Pats on the same day and he didn't want to miss. He then signed for Wigan. See page 29 of "Finding my Feet", published 2003.
Wiki says Robinson played for Hunslet Boys Club, then Hunslet Parkside and then Hunslet Hawks (semi-pro) in 1991 playing 27 times and scoring 59 points.
Fair enough. I'm baffled as to why he doesn't mention it in the book. He specifically says that he was due to play for Hunslet Parkside against St Pats, missed a trial game for Leeds A team. "Leeds coach David Ward wanted me to sign, and that was clearly a more exciting prospect than signing for Hunslet....but the game clashed with Parkside's annual fixture with Wigan St Pat's....it was our top game and I couldn't let Parkside down."

The next paragraph starts with Eric Hawley and Robinson signing for Wigan. Hawley is quoted as saying "Jason was a ball-boy at Headingley and there is a tendency for lads to want to sign for their local club. For Jason that was always going to be Leeds rather than Hunslet..."

He continues "The season was just starting with Hunslet Parkside...they were playing at Featherstone Sports Centre, so I went along."

"Usually I watch a lad over 4 to 6 weeks, leave them alone, then go back. But with Jason, I dare not wait. Two games were enough for me."

Hawley talks of Robinson signing and playing for the Academy at Wigan. I don't see how this tallies with him playing 27 times for Hunslet. Could it have been after he signed for Wigan?

Does anybody know the date Robinson signed for us or how old he was? I'm intrigued to work out what's going on here.

I checked the index and Hunslet Boys Club has 3 references, there are 5 for Hunslet Parkside, but none for Hunslet.

I suspect the Wikipedia entry is a mistake and is his record for Hunslet Parkside, not Hunslet.

No straw damn us
Posts: 1669
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Re: all time favourite teams

Post by No straw damn us » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:51 pm

Hunslet Hawks only came into existence in 1995 which is 3 years after Robinson signed for Wigan so obviously something is wrong.

Also according to Terry Newtons book he signed for Warrington when he was 14 which was illegal. He then signed for Leeds when he was 16 and that's why they won the case.

morley pie eater
Posts: 1553
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: all time favourite teams

Post by morley pie eater » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:25 am

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/play ... mmary.html

The Rugby League Project. Full playing career of Jason Robinson. Starts with Wigan in 1992. No mention of Hunslet.

His Wiki entry has no Wigan stats, but all his union games. This possibly suggests it was done by a union statistician or fan who couldn't be bothered checking his league career. Note that anybody can do a Wikipedia entry - it relies on someone correcting it.

morley pie eater
Posts: 1553
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: all time favourite teams

Post by morley pie eater » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:47 am

Check Jason Robinson on Wikipedia. I've deleted Hunslet and added his international points scored.

pedro
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: all time favourite teams

Post by pedro » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:17 am

It had him scoring against Barrow for Hunslet but you deleted it? They obviously did their homework enough to know that, Hunslet were renamed Hunslet Hawks in 1995, I suggest you put it back in, its the equivalent to playing for Widnes and Leigh, you might have to do your homework and put it all back in.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1857407490.png

pedro
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: all time favourite teams

Post by pedro » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:22 am

9. Before fame
He made his debut in 1991 as a member of the Hunslet club and played only one year for them before playing for Wigan.


https://www.ruck.co.uk/jason-robinson-1 ... -legend/3/
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1857407490.png

morley pie eater
Posts: 1553
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: all time favourite teams

Post by morley pie eater » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:10 pm

pedro wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:22 am
9. Before fame
He made his debut in 1991 as a member of the Hunslet club and played only one year for them before playing for Wigan.


https://www.ruck.co.uk/jason-robinson-1 ... -legend/3/
Hi Pedro. I appreciate what you've found here, but don't find your tone helpful the way I read it, though I accept it's difficult to "read" someone's attitude.

I want to find the truth. Jason Robinson's autobiography clearly indicates that he went from Hunslet Parkside to Wigan. Furthermore it quotes at length from Eric Hawley who says he watched JR for Hunslet Parkside at Featherstone Sports Centre, then one more game, then took him to meet Maurice as Wigan were playing at Wakefield.

The book also has a picture of JR in the triumphant Wigan Academy team in May 1991, having beaten Hull in the final. He was 16.

I don't see any real evidence that he played for Hunslet. The RL Project is a major source of data on RL (it's cited on Wikipedia for JR's international stats, but not for the Hunslet ones).

The piece you've quoted above could well have been written by someone who looked on Wikipedia for their info.

Do your homework, produce some real evidence, maybe a Yorkshire Evening Post picture of him scoring for Hunslet, and I'll alter the Wiki entry. Or go on Wiki and do it yourself.

Good luck. It can be time-consuming. Have fun.

morley pie eater
Posts: 1553
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: all time favourite teams

Post by morley pie eater » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:23 pm

Sorry to bore everyone with this, but here's hopefully my final bit of evidence:

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams ... ayers.html

Lists every player who played for Hunslet, New Hunslet or Hunslet Hawks with their stats. Ever. 1800s to present.

There are 5 or 6 Robinson's:

Adam - stand off/ front row (!)
Andy - wing/centre
Craig - bench
Craig - half back (prob same person)
Darren - hooker
Paul - second row

That's it! No Jason.

It would be a big stretch to think they've gone to the trouble of listing players who only made 1 appearance in 1903, but forgot to include Jason Robinson.

What do you think, Pedro?

Post Reply