Wigan youngster Bourouh talks Xbox, Greek wraps and training with Powell and Leuluai

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan youngster Bourouh talks Xbox, Greek wraps and training with Powell and Leuluai

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan youngster Amir Bourouh had admitted he’s struggled with rugby league’s Covid-19 suspension but has found ways of keeping himself entertained, including improving his skills in the kitchen.

The 19-year-old is one of Super League’s hottest prospects and has made two senior appearances for the Warriors so far in his career.

Like most players, he’s currently training remotely at home as the sport continues its suspension but is continually trying to find new things to keep himself busy.

It’s a bit tough really,” Bourouh said. “It’s just a different way of life at moment, not being with lads every day and not having that banter and craic with each other.

“I’ve just been taking my dog out and playing a bit of Xbox, so I’ve been a bit lazy. Anything I can do to just kill a few hours really.

“I’ve been doing a bit of cooking. I did chicken gyros, (which are) Greek wraps, so they were nice. It was actually my first time making them but they went down pretty well and everyone liked them.”

Bourouh is currently serving as Adrian Lam’s third string hooker, battling with utility half Jake Shorrocks for that spot behind Sam Powell and usual scrum-half Thomas Leuluai.

Despite the meteoric rise of several other Wigan youngsters, including close friend and amateur teammate Morgan Smithies, though, he’s happy with the place he’s in and sees it as an opportunity to develop with little pressure on his shoulders.

“I like to pick up as much as I can,” he continued. “Sam Powell will always give me tips around the dummy half role whenever we’re training, so it’s good to learn from people like that.

Even Tommy (Leuluai) when he’s filling in. I still watch him (when he plays) at halfback and he always gives tips and pointers where he can.

“I like to think I’m seeing improvements (in my own game). It’s just little details really that I can’t see as a player when I’m playing but they can pick them up. They’ll give me a little tap to help me and say, ‘Try this’ or something like that.

“So it’s really enjoyable, even just training every day with them and learning and getting better, it’s really good. Then when you get the opportunity to play it’s really special to be on the field with some of the big names we’ve got at our club.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-yo ... uai-30127/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan