Wigan Warriors set to surrender home advantage when Super League restarts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors set to surrender home advantage when Super League restarts

Post by josie andrews »

Many Super League clubs are set to surrender home advantage when the competition resumes – possibly in August.

Karen Moorhouse, the chief regulatory officer for the RFL, said it is “very likely” that only a small number of venues will be used to stage matches.

The move could see, for example, Leeds’ Headingley and Warrington’s Halliwell Jones Stadium host the behind-closed-doors games, reducing costs and easing the logistics of making sure the protocols are in place during the coronavirus pandemic.

When asked if the competition will return at select grounds, she said: “It’s very likely.

“When you talk about behind closed doors, you’re looking at having a limited number of stadiums - it means you can dig down and have a limited number of procedures.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... #gsc.tab=0
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Wigan Warriors set to surrender home advantage when Super League restarts

Post by Firestarter »

I get the warrington selection as its small and easy accessable but leeds??? Really???..... surely huddersfield is a much better option?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:15 pm I get the warrington selection as its small and easy accessable but leeds??? Really???..... surely huddersfield is a much better option?
probably need to keep uncle gary happy :( :( or he'll take his ball home

on a serious note though, Wigan, Huddersfield, Hull are multi tenant with football teams, so probably miss out on that basis
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:15 pm I get the warrington selection as its small and easy accessable but leeds??? Really???..... surely huddersfield is a much better option?
Firestarter, you are forgetting that the most famous club in world Rugby League is Leeds and they have to be protected at all times and this year when they are not getting their share of the gate for test match cricket at Headingley it is even more important that they have a steady income stream. 🤣
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

ian.birchall wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:58 pm
Firestarter, you are forgetting that the most famous club in world Rugby League is Leeds and they have to be protected at all times and this year when they are not getting their share of the gate for test match cricket at Headingley it is even more important that they have a steady income stream. 🤣
how could i be so stupid 😭😭
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

the pieman wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:57 pm

on a serious note though, Wigan, Huddersfield, Hull are multi tenant with football teams, so probably miss out on that basis
Their football season's finish in July, so no reason not to be considered for Super League venues in August/September.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Nezza Faz wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:29 pm
the pieman wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:57 pm

Their football season's finish in July, so no reason not to be considered for Super League venues in August/September.
Well they didn't consider Wigan for the world cup so it is no surprise that we are not in the reckoning.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

So Leeds & Warrington get to play home & away matches at home except when they play each other presumably?

That is a huge advantage not having to travel. If they do this then this season is invalid from a sporting point of view.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:14 pm So Leeds & Warrington get to play home & away matches at home except when they play each other presumably?

That is a huge advantage not having to travel. If they do this then this season is invalid from a sporting point of view.
Its all about saving cash isn't it?

Perhaps if Wigan owned the DW then the argument could be made for them hosting there.

They will be behind closed doors so no fans so no issue for me.
doc

Post by doc »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:14 pm So Leeds & Warrington get to play home & away matches at home except when they play each other presumably?

If Hetherington has anything to do with it both Wire-Leeds matches will be played at Headingley!