Who stays? Who goes? Wigan Warriors' situation with off-contract stars

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Who stays? Who goes? Wigan Warriors' situation with off-contract stars

Post by josie andrews »

Morgan Escare has gone, Ben Flower is going. Phil Wilkinson looks at the situation with Wigan's other off-contract stars...

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rs-2884777
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Who stays? Who goes? Wigan Warriors' situation with off-contract stars

Post by medlocke »

Lockers
Lulu
Powell
Navarette
Greenwood
can all go for me
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

I wondered how long it would take someone to suggest getting rid of "Marmite" Powell. Personally I think that he does a good job and he is very well regarded by those who have more of a clue than I have. I could see us being unable to replace players with experienced upgrades, given the current situation, and I do not see much hope of us getting anywhere near the quality of Gildart and Hastings.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:16 pm Lockers
Lulu
Powell
Navarette
Greenwood
can all go for me
Greenwood unfortunately has to go as I imagine he will be on a decent wage, bet he goes somewhere and does brilliant. I’ve been a Powell ribber but I think he does alright and he can also cover in the half’s.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:16 pm Lockers
Lulu
Powell
Navarette
Greenwood
can all go for me
Can't see Joe Burgess remaining either if no longer a first choice pick. Gildart will leave too.

Some cap money becoming available there
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Levrier wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:20 pm I wondered how long it would take someone to suggest getting rid of "Marmite" Powell. Personally I think that he does a good job and he is very well regarded by those who have more of a clue than I have.
So why are we being linked with Joey Lussick? Are those who have "more of a clue than" (you) also coming around to thinking the team needs more pace in the spine to help supplement French at full back?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Lussick would be a good signing but still think we should keep Powell. His experience will be good for the lads coming through and we will need a backup if tommy does retire
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:08 pm
Levrier wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:20 pm I wondered how long it would take someone to suggest getting rid of "Marmite" Powell. Personally I think that he does a good job and he is very well regarded by those who have more of a clue than I have.
So why are we being linked with Joey Lussick? Are those who have "more of a clue than" (you) also coming around to thinking the team needs more pace in the spine to help supplement French at full back?
I bet my 2020 season ticket powell is going nowhere 😉.

Hasting goes, Powell to the halves, 2021 team doom and gloom get a mouth water line up they have always wanted to post about all day.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

What I hope,

- Lockers - time to retire, taking up a large chunk of salary cap
- Burgess - too error prone, injury prone, shadow of his former self
- Clubb - waste of space, but won’t happen as contracted
- Navarrette - never settled, been favoured, nor improved
- Flower - too Injury prone, not the same player
- Shorrocks - why and how is he still on the books?
- Greenwood - too injury prone, out of favour, seems to be attitude problem

Wouldn’t mind Tommy going round again as he can cover 9 very well and also be used at times when Smith needs a rest if he’s to he used more next year.

We do need to be careful that we don’t make too many changes, have an unsettled squad that is very young, very new and imbalanced.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:08 am
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:08 pm
I bet my 2020 season ticket powell is going nowhere 😉.

Hasting goes, Powell to the halves, 2021 team doom and gloom get a mouth water line up they have always wanted to post about all day.
Powell to the halves? He hasn’t played that position since he broke into Wigan first team. Too slow.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."