Who stays? Who goes? Wigan Warriors' situation with off-contract stars

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Who stays? Who goes? Wigan Warriors' situation with off-contract stars

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:28 am
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:08 am
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:08 pm

So why are we being linked with Joey Lussick? Are those who have "more of a clue than" (you) also coming around to thinking the team needs more pace in the spine to help supplement French at full back?
I bet my 2020 season ticket powell is going nowhere 😉.

Hasting goes, Powell to the halves, 2021 team doom and gloom get a mouth water line up they have always wanted to post about all day.
Powell to the halves? He hasn’t played that position since he broke into Wigan first team. Too slow.
he also played there a few seasons ago under wane...... wasnt it the switcharoo or something? I personally wouldnt have him anywhere near the halves though
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:27 am What I hope,

- Lockers - time to retire, taking up a large chunk of salary cap
- Burgess - too error prone, injury prone, shadow of his former self
- Clubb - waste of space, but won’t happen as contracted
- Navarrette - never settled, been favoured, nor improved
- Flower - too Injury prone, not the same player
- Shorrocks - why and how is he still on the books?
- Greenwood - too injury prone, out of favour, seems to be attitude problem

Wouldn’t mind Tommy going round again as he can cover 9 very well and also be used at times when Smith needs a rest if he’s to he used more next year.

We do need to be careful that we don’t make too many changes, have an unsettled squad that is very young, very new and imbalanced.
Where do you get this from? Part of, if not most of his salary doesn’t count on the salary cap.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:52 am

Wouldn’t mind Tommy going round again as he can cover 9 very well and also be used at times when Smith needs a rest if he’s to he used more next year.

We do need to be careful that we don’t make too many changes, have an unsettled squad that is very young, very new and imbalanced.
Where do you get this from? Part of, if not most of his salary doesn’t count on the salary cap.
I think all of his salary counts now Josie.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
SJ

Post by SJ »

Go - Lol, Lulu,Flower
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:08 am
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:08 pm
Levrier wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:20 pm I wondered how long it would take someone to suggest getting rid of "Marmite" Powell. Personally I think that he does a good job and he is very well regarded by those who have more of a clue than I have.
So why are we being linked with Joey Lussick? Are those who have "more of a clue than" (you) also coming around to thinking the team needs more pace in the spine to help supplement French at full back?
I bet my 2020 season ticket powell is going nowhere 😉.

Hasting goes, Powell to the halves, 2021 team doom and gloom get a mouth water line up they have always wanted to post about all day.
Did I say Powell was going?

Obviously contracted so will remain for the duration. Whether the club throws more money at him when it is due for renewal WILL set the debate going

BTW why are you saying Hastings is going? Know more than the player himself do you?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Regardless of that, he’s one of the top earners at the club. His impact and game time and injury record has been heading in the wrong direction for around 5 years now, with a sharp decline most recently.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Watching a hell of a lot of archive games lately (which I imagine many of us have been doing) has only reinforced in my mind how valuable some of our most criticised players have been to the club. And first on that list is Sam Powell. Closely followed by Sarge.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

With the present health and financial crisis it will be the departing players effect on the balance sheet for than the salary cap that will be the most crucial.

As for names, I do think most ooc will depart, otherwise I wouldn't want too many or else we'll end up with a squad of strangers.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

moto748 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:42 pm Watching a hell of a lot of archive games lately (which I imagine many of us have been doing) has only reinforced in my mind how valuable some of our most criticised players have been to the club. And first on that list is Sam Powell. Closely followed by Sarge.
I've said it many times, but Willie Isa is criminally overlooked by our fanbase as an important player
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:36 pm

Regardless of that, he’s one of the top earners at the club. His impact and game time and injury record has been heading in the wrong direction for around 5 years now, with a sharp decline most recently.
Don’t know what you have been watching but if you think his impact has been declining you haven’t been watching the same games I have! Even the players, past & present, say any contribution from him is immeasurable.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan