Rushton

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Rushton

Post by Mike »

Off to Canberra before even making his debut apparently. Anyone know how big a loss this is?

https://www.totalrl.com/raiders-renew-i ... youngster/
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Rushton

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Harry's a very good player. He played in last years U19s Grand Final when I think he was only 17.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Ethan Havard going too

I can understand this if the club has to make saving, but putting retirements off for certain individuals to compensate is a sure fire way to ruining the club
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

No doubt IL will say we have first shout on him if he comes back to the UK
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I find this all a bit soul destroying but don't know what we can do about it so long as the NRL has so much more cash. I can understand the lads wanting to go but think they may have a greater chance of success waiting until their early twenties. I don't suppose we'll get much of a transfer fee for these youngsters so first refusal on their return may be the best we can hope for. Although it shows that the youth system is working I wonder if, we keep losing more players than other clubs, if IL will eventually decide that we're wasting money on development.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Seen him play a few times and he did look like he could press on but I must admit this one for some reason has got me a little down in the dumps..more than star players going, if they're taking the cream of the youth then what's the point? :|
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:46 pm Seen him play a few times and he did look like he could press on but I must admit this one for some reason has got me a little down in the dumps..more than star players going, if they're taking the cream of the youth then what's the point? :|
+1. The club are going to have to re-think their strategy if this happens.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We've got good young cover at loose and second row though don't we? You can't keep them all.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Mike wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:29 pm We've got good young cover at loose and second row though don't we? You can't keep them all.
I know you are playing devils advocate but when that "good young cover" itself is also being chased by Australian clubs then you need to ask how can the club continue on with its current strategy

Bateman last year. Smithes and Havard being linked along with possible moves for Gildart and Hastings after this season. Not only are the clubs "better" players going but also those who are the possible replacements, This kid hasn't even played first team yet and he is being picked off

Signing him for Canberra's development squad I mean "come on" how does he even qualify for a work permit and how must their local indigenous players feel about it?

Whilst it is appreciated that Luke Thompson has been poached from saints there has to be the acknowledgement that we are (or soon will be) watching a poorer league by design thanks to the Aussie demands for any players no matter what.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'm not sure how you combat this trend. They have more money than us. And in the end more money equals better players equals a better comp which generates even more money.

We were able to prize away Welsh RU players whenever we wanted when we had more money, even after they tried everything they could to get them to stay. We're in that boat now.

PS using the term "indigenous" w.r.t Australia needs more care than you gave it IMO.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Australians
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐