Just a feeder club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Just a feeder club

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think you are bound to disagree, as your starting point is your end point. You think he is average and we can’t afford an average hooker. I can see that point of view, and I agree that he does not set the heart racing, but respectfully disagree. For what we need him to do, In this team, with Lockers and Hastings, he does it well. He is better than average defensively, and gets the ball away to the more creative players pretty well. I have him down as one less thing to worry about. We will need to replace Hastings if he goes, and when we do, we need to make sure that the spine continues to work, taking into account that Smithies or Bateman are likely to play 13, neither of whom has Lockers’ range of skills. If we depend on Powell to be something he isn’t then we will regret it - if that’s your fear then I share it. What makes sense with dangerous players elsewhere doesn’t if they are missing.

One of the biggest mistakes we ever made in this area was when we signed Moran as a creative half back, when he was simply a fast support player. When he was at London he was the league’s top try scorer (I think) off the back of very clever ball players around him.

I would ne surprised and disappointed if we made the same mistake again, whereas if we sign Marshall and Harry Smith develops, I have no problem with Powell. Oh, and I like him as a person, from our brief acquaintance, and it is a good thing to have model pros in any club.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Terry Newton was a makeshift hooker you know. He turned out pretty good.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:01 am I am sorry but that is nonsense. There is no issue with signing a 26 year old Bateman or equivalent in any position if the player Wigan sign is of the standard he is. That is in fact the point I am trying to make.

We didn't keep young wingers when Martin Offiah became available either. Who did Gary Connelly replace? It is exactly why the club should have replaced Powell at 9 by now. We don't have to wait for him to be 30 to realise we need to look elsewhere for a 9.

Lockers ought to have been laid out to grass about three years ago at least and the fact he wasn't is down to the fact the club didn't have or could not sign a replacement good enough due to lack of planning for his eventual and inevitable retirement. Not because at his age and with his injuries he can still hack it. He clearly can't given he spends about half the season unenviable due to injury.

The idea we need senior players like Clubb or Lockers on the pitch to guide the younger players around is nuts in my opinion. Lockers has obviously been a great player but if we need Clubb on the pitch still it's because like Locker's the succession planning was rubbish.
So you're saying it's the ability of the player that matters. Which is the point I was making. If they are good enough, Wigan should sign them.

As for Powell. You clearly don't rate him so there's no agreement to be found on this. However, I think since Lam took over he's been one of our best and most consistent players and has had a noticeable impact on the team. I don't think we have to look elsewhere and get rid of him at all. I wouldn't mind the club looking to sign another hooker though as we've got no suitable replacements if Leuluai retires and Powell gets injured.

With Clubb and O'Loughlin, you don't think they are good enough anymore which is why you think they shouldn't be at the club. If they were playing well, presumably you'd want the club to keep them? Just releasing someone if they were playing well simply because of their age would be daft.