Wigan Athletic football club goes into administration

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warriors01

Re: Wigan Athletic football club goes into administration

Post by warriors01 »

Wigan council can’t afford to buy the stadium. Regarding the deduction there is a clause force majeure and no doubt Covid 19 could come under this. No doubt new owners will look to go down this avenue.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Lazy J wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:45 pm It’s a calculated gamble, Latics go bust, They’ve no assets, ground owned by another company. They take the 12 point deduction, puts them 4 points from safety with 3 to play, but are in form, 3 from 3 since lockdown. They emerge as a Phoenix company under a different name and carry on as normal. It’s the poor suppliers who are owed money that suffer
Latics still have six games to play and would only be four points off safety which under their current form is quite doable.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Lenagan to put his hand on his pocket, buy the ground for £10 plus Robin Park interest and kick the Lactics back to the Lancashire Combination or whatever it was called back in the 1950s where they belong.
Job solved. :D :D
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

ian.birchall wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:13 pm Lenagan to put his hand on his pocket, buy the ground for £10 plus Robin Park interest and kick the Lactics back to the Lancashire Combination or whatever it was called back in the 1950s where they belong.
Job solved. :D :D
Agreed...think it was Cheshire League in my youth.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Apologies, being lazy but who does own the DW now?

Did the Warriors pay rent to Latics?
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:54 pm Apologies, being lazy but who does own the DW now?

Did the Warriors pay rent to Latics?
Until 2018, the club was owned by Dave Whelan, who steered them from the fourth tier of English football to the Premier League in 2005, and they also won the FA Cup in 2013.

Whelan sold the club to Hong Kong-based International Entertainment Corporation in November 2018 and there was a further change of ownership in May when Next Leader Fund took control.

Paul Stanley, Gerald Krasner and Dean Watson of Begbies Traynor have been appointed as joint administrators.

Krasner said in a statement that the suspension of the Championship season because of the coronavirus pandemic has had a "significant impact on the recent fortunes of the club".

"The funding that was due to come in from the owners didn't come in. I've had no contact with the owners and I don't know why the funding didn't come in. It might be coronavirus-related, I just don't know."

Stanley also confirmed that the administrators have control over Wigan's DW Stadium and training ground as well as the club itself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53247333

Administrators acting for the Latics have said the club is 'finished' if funding cannot be found to get it through to the end of the season after its Hong Kong-based owners pulled out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53256015
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Having had the Breakfast TV sports presenter this morning stood in front of the Statue at the entrance to the ground I see a definite need to topple one more.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think we should be very worried about this indeed. For a start, the words Hong Kong in association with the recent owners is a red flag that nothing good may come from that source. So, they need to find a buyer, and from the sounds of it this is not a pre pack, with a likely purchaser waiting in the wings. I hope I am wrong and that a buyer emerges. However, if a buyer does not emerge, or if that buyer looks to renege on or renegotiate their lease than that could put pressure on the landlord (who happens to be our landlord). If the stadium owner is not getting enough rent from the Latics that puts it at risk of going bust itself, in which case we could be left in a very exposed position. Of course, as ever, the only ones who are certain to miss out our Latics’ creditors, which I assume will include lots of local businesses who dealt with them in good faith. It stinks.
jobo

Post by jobo »

ian.birchall wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:59 am Having had the Breakfast TV sports presenter this morning stood in front of the Statue at the entrance to the ground I see a definite need to topple one more.
🤣🤣
Couldn't agree more.