Back in full training yet?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Back in full training yet?

Post by southportcdm »

Does anybody know if the warriors have a date to start full training yet? I've just read an article that implies that only three super league clubs have agreed an acceptable wage cut with their players. Out of these three, Hull FC seem to have agreed to get the players back by the twentieth of this month. This wouldn't give them much prep time before the games start and I'd thought that any team starting back earlier (if possible) would be able to gain an edge on the opposition. It would be nice to think that the warriors players were being offered a decent deal too.
wall_of_voodoo

Re: Back in full training yet?

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Super League’s restart in August could be under threat because of player unrest over continued pay cuts, says Warrington prop Mike Cooper.

Only three teams are believed to have been able to reach an agreement on wage structures with their players for when the season resumes.

That leaves nine clubs unable to return to training prior to the restart until they can negotiate deals with players.

(Mike) Cooper said: "I think there are only three teams who have agreed what their pay is going to be.

"So they’re talking about us playing in two weeks and there are only three clubs that have agreed to return to training. As it stands right now, there is no competition.”
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53314482
Hull FC are leading the way when it comes to agreeing player pay cuts in the Super League.

As per a report by League Express, the Black and Whites have had negotiations with players wrapped up for a long time, while other clubs have perhaps struggled to do the same.

The Black and Whites have agreed to a salary cut of 15 per cent with players, who accepted the terms rather quickly and without protest, as the club look to limit losses once the squad returns from furlough and head back to training on July 20.

Games will go ahead behind closed doors in August, but it is hoped gates will be opened and fans will be welcomed back into the ground by late September or October to give clubs a much-needed financial boost.

The plan is only then will FC players return to full pay once more, but that could change, depending on the club’s situation.

Not every Super League outfit has been able to work as smoothly as FC over the last few months, and it seems word has got around about the club’s behaviour.

Hull Live has learnt that FC are being praised by high profile players and representatives at other clubs across the league for the way they have handled themselves during the Super League suspension and the pandemic.

The Black and Whites were quick to place players and club staff into the furlough scheme when the shutdown of the competition was announced, keeping just a handful of office staff around to keep things ticking over.

But, over the course of the lockdown, both Adam Pearson and James Clark have been in regular contact with Andy Last and players, providing updates and information regarding the club’s position.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Just seen that we're back on the twentieth too.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I believe Catalan are back in this week.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Glad to see that the players are being tested tomorrow. Does anybody know the details of why our players and the club have not agreed a pay deal yet?
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Half of the Super League clubs have still to agree pay cut terms with their players as some squads return to training this week ahead of the August 2 restart.

Castleford, Hull KR, Salford, Wakefield, Warrington and Wigan are the six clubs in question, with all due for talks with players union the GMB this week.

A seventh club Leeds has verbally agreed terms and is in the process of receiving signed confirmation.

Salford officials are hopeful that they can reach an agreement within the next 48 hours, while talks between Warrington and their players are understood to be progressing and Castleford are hopeful of an imminent resolution.

Wakefield are maintaining a pay stance that they set out in April, and are currently waiting to hear back from the players union on their squad’s decision.

Chief executive Michael Carter says that the average loss for players in net pay would be 11.5 percent over the year with the highest loss being 16.7 percent, but has confirmed that one senior member of Trinity’s squad has been calling for a strike.

Hull KR chairman Neil Hudgell says there is no dispute with his squad, but that they will speak to them and the GMB again this week.

Hudgell said: “Our players have been very understanding of the position we have found ourselves in. We have been honest and transparent throughout, which I think has been appreciated. Tony Smith has managed the process very well, and communicated all the key messages. We haven’t pleaded poverty and gone out and made big name signings either.

“We hope to relax some of the cuts over the next few weeks, it’s a question of continual re-evaluation. That said we remain in a perilous position and have to take a worst case outlook for a while yet.”

Wigan officials were contacted on their current situation but have not commented yet, although their players are expected for testing on Monday.

Of the six clubs, only Hull KR are due to play on the triple header return to action on August 2, and will return to training tomorrow.

During the pay cut process, a number of clubs have passed their financial details onto the GMB to outline the severity of their own situations following the Covid shutdown.

Leeds Rhinos have estimated a £4million loss over the course of 18 months, while Warrington outlined a £1.4million shortfall in finances during the crisis so far.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... -22343752
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Is greenwood back with us now? Says hes been keeping fit with mick turner and a few of the other players?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:45 am Is greenwood back with us now? Says hes been keeping fit with mick turner and a few of the other players?
https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ot-2915022
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Post by pedro »

returned in May without playing for Leeds
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Anyone know if Gildart and Lockers are fit for the restart of the season?

Has George Burgess finally gotten over his "mysterious" hip injury to have lost all that weight he gained during the last off season or has he put it back on?
Because I don't "Boo"!!!