Warriors looking to acquire Latics

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Sutty

Warriors looking to acquire Latics

Post by Sutty »

Might put to bed once and for all some of the comments from their fanbase about us just being tennants in their stadium. I can't see this being a drain on our resource and may even be used as a vessel to promote our own club/sport
https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/07/ ... QRAQ3-lDAs

Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Re: Warriors looking to acquire Latics

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

You would imagine that Wigan Council would back this and potentially take ownership of the stadium with both clubs paying a rental fee. I can’t see how this proposal would have any negative impact on the Rugby as both would continue to run independently.

The only question I have is whether the Latics training set up is sold to recover some cost and they move into our newly acquired site at Robin Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Can't wait for the first time we shut a stand and make em kick off at dinner because there's a wedding on.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Hooray. Friendlies at home!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jobo

Post by jobo »

Mickw wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:05 pm Can't wait for the first time we shut a stand and make em kick off at dinner because there's a wedding on.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Re-turfing the pitch in October?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Well done to IL for trying to save the lactics but I really don't feel that the warriors will benefit in any way. I always assumed that the football team having first call on the pitch etc was a result of the requirements of the football league rather than the specific owners of the club. I'd be pleased to be wrong though. It would be great to have an equal 'share' in the stadium. As an outsider it seems that the lactics would benefit most from owners with a realistic expectation of staying financially stable in the championship or league one rather than chasing the dream of premiership football. They did amazingly well in the past few years but it wasn't sustainable and look where it's got them.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Sorry but what appals me here is the ridiculous suggestion that the football clubs history is anywhere near as important to the town as the rugby league sides.
If Lenagan really believe this he doesn't understand the importance of our club to the town. The Latics had a couple of glory years but are sliding back into the mediocrity and irrelevance where they have deserverably spent most of their existence. Good riddance I say. I don't want Lenagan to start spreading his cash over both clubs.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

If there is no Wigan Athletic then I doubt Wigan RL can afford the rent of the stadium alone.

So I presume the motivation is to ensure there is another tenant of the DW with both clubs under the “Wigan Sporting Partnership” banner.

However for me there must be more too it than just rescuing Latics with things carrying on as before.

By that I mean if it is a Partnership then the RL club needs to benefit from a 50% share in all non sporting revenue the stadium generates. So food & beverage sales and any income from corporate events held at the stadium etc.

It would also be good to see an end to the ridiculous mid summer enforced exile for several weeks and it seeming to be its always the RL club that must compromise on fixtures.

If it’s keeping things as they are for the RL club with no revenue from the stadium and fixtures moved then no thanks.

The only way keeping things the same would work is if the rent to the RL side stayed the same and was so cheap, it wasn’t worth being what would be in effect joint owners. That is the RL club was better off paying a very low rent than it would gain by sharing income off the stadium while having to pay more costs for running it.

Trouble is if that were true I doubt Latics would have to to pay the lions share on their own. No idea if they could afford it.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:18 pm If there is no Wigan Athletic then I doubt Wigan RL can afford the rent of the stadium alone.

So I presume the motivation is to ensure there is another tenant of the DW with both clubs under the “Wigan Sporting Partnership” banner.

However for me there must be more too it than just rescuing Latics with things carrying on as before.

By that I mean if it is a Partnership then the RL club needs to benefit from a 50% share in all non sporting revenue the stadium generates. So food & beverage sales and any income from corporate events held at the stadium etc.

It would also be good to see an end to the ridiculous mid summer enforced exile for several weeks and it seeming to be its always the RL club that must compromise on fixtures.

If it’s keeping things as they are for the RL club with no revenue from the stadium and fixtures moved then no thanks.

The only way keeping things the same would work is if the rent to the RL side stayed the same and was so cheap, it wasn’t worth being what would be in effect joint owners. That is the RL club was better off paying a very low rent than it would gain by sharing income off the stadium while having to pay more costs for running it.

Trouble is if that were true I doubt Latics would have to to pay the lions share on their own. No idea if they could afford it.
Dave,

No word of a lie you’ve written pretty much what I’ve been thinking since I heard the news.

The way warrior fans are treated with the exile in the summer is nothing short of disgusting and it needs to end and if this is a way of it happening then so be it.