Wigan v wakey

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Wigan v wakey

Post by Mike »

Good solidarity at the beginning. Good effort for the first game back. Nice to see Smith in the halves, I think with French at fb and Tommy spelling at hooker that's or best team. Not sure why French for our on the wing when Tommy went off. Overall a good base to start to build on.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Richymac wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:44 pm
moto748 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:42 pm "The most important stat in rugby league is 'held up in goal'"

No, it's not. They don't half talk some kak.
I was just thinking that. Absolute twoddle. Wish we had Wilkin commentating he was great on the commentary yesterday.

Jon wilkin, who's cutting insight once took saints to 5 successive GF losses.

I have no doubt that held up stats are an accurate predictor of eventual winners of a game. Perhaps one of the most obvious indications other than the score though.

But why are people so negative about successful ex-wiganers on TV?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:22 am
moto748 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:42 pm "The most important stat in rugby league is 'held up in goal'"

I was just thinking that. Absolute twoddle. Wish we had Wilkin commentating he was great on the commentary yesterday.

I have no doubt that held up stats are an accurate predictor of eventual winners of a game. Perhaps one of the most obvious indications other than the score though.

But why are people so negative about successful ex-wiganers on TV?
That’s quite easy they talk utter nonsense for the most part,give me an insight to the game then great I’ll listen but as they don’t I hit the mute button.

The best players rarely make decent commentators so I care not a jot about Wilkin’s playing career but he does add insight,for me at least and is easily the best co commentator out there.

One thing this break has shown to me is how utterly stale sky’s coverage is,if they renew the tv deal I hope they give it a freshen up on the presenting side,it’s as stale and smelly as the shark they caught in jaws
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Burgess looks soft and uninterested to me. Barely makes any yards running, no aggression in defence.

Shadow of the player he was a few years ago.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Plusses:
Powell (possibly MOM)
Smith (generally)
Marshall
Farrell (as ever)
Hardaker (finally the player we all hoped he would be)
Havard (best forward in the match)
Byrne (bit of a blunt instrument but effective)

Minuses:
Burgess (apart from one run, looked unfit and straight from Madame Tussauds in defence)
Bibby (see Burgess for defence)
Clark - (worryingly lightweight for a prop)

Mysteries:
Where did French go in the second half - ditto Hastings until the last 10 minutes
How did Lam ever get the job as a coach?
What happened to discipline? Smithies in particular. I know we think he's the next SOL but keep your head together son.

That was a useful first half and then it was Salford all over again, except that Wakefield weren't as talented and weren't as well coached as Salford. Groundhog Day.

I don't fancy facing a good team at the moment - thank god it's Leeds next.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Ive just read that bevan hurt his back
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:08 am Ive just read that bevan hurt his back
I imagine after 5 months out there'll be plenty of niggles/injuries amongst most teams. It's how you cope with the issue that will determine success in a shortened season. We certainly have a big hole to fill if it's a lengthy absence.
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

Mike wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:22 am

Yeah it was Wilkin’s fault and his alone for the 5 GF defeats...

That’s like saying every time we lose it’s O’Loughlin’s fault?

I was talking about his commentary anyway. He is brilliant in the box and should be there more often.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

It's a mystery why someone so unpleasant on the field can be really intelligent and a useful summariser. The sooner he retires the better,
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:36 am Plusses:
Powell (possibly MOM)
Smith (generally)
Marshall
Farrell (as ever)
Hardaker (finally the player we all hoped he would be)
Havard (best forward in the match)
Byrne (bit of a blunt instrument but effective)

Minuses:
Burgess (apart from one run, looked unfit and straight from Madame Tussauds in defence)
Bibby (see Burgess for defence)
Clark - (worryingly lightweight for a prop)

Mysteries:
Where did French go in the second half - ditto Hastings until the last 10 minutes
How did Lam ever get the job as a coach?
What happened to discipline? Smithies in particular. I know we think he's the next SOL but keep your head together son.

That was a useful first half and then it was Salford all over again, except that Wakefield weren't as talented and weren't as well coached as Salford. Groundhog Day.

I don't fancy facing a good team at the moment - thank god it's Leeds next.
Clark lightweight?
He was one of the biggest on the pitch.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."