Warriors support for Rob Burrow

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors support for Rob Burrow

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors players will be wearing special embroidered shirts for their upcoming Betfred Super League clash against Leeds Rhinos in support of Leeds’ legend Rob Burrow.

The players will adorn a word each Warriors players has chosen to describe Burrow – who was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease in December 2019 – alongside their name. The shirts will be auctioned off via the Wigan Warriors Community Foundation eBay page with all proceeds to be donated to the Rob Burrow Fund.

Wigan Warriors executive director, Kris Radlinski: “We have always said that we would do something for Rob when Wigan played Leeds in Super League.

“Rather than just a financial gesture, we felt that it was important to let Rob know just what an impact that he had on his fellow players during his time as a player, and his inspirational approach and conduct since his diagnosis. We were all devastated when we heard about Rob’s condition but typically and expectedly, we came together to support him in such a unique way.

“I have never seen such an outpouring of emotion from a sport to one of its own. I hope that Rob gains great strength, safe in the knowledge that he is constantly in our thoughts at Wigan and we are all with him on this journey.”

Wigan skipper Sean O’Loughlin has also praised Burrow ahead of the Club’s clash with the Rhinos, describing Burrow as ‘inspirational’ on his own jersey.

“To have that symbol embroidered on the shirt is pretty special and I think the boys will wear the shirt with pride,” said the Wigan legend. “It’s nice of the Club to acknowledge what Rob and his family are going through.

Rob’s a pretty special character in the sport – whether you know him or not – he’s small in stature but big in personality and was always big in performances throughout his career.

“He’s a symbolic figure in the Super League era and for the boys to get a word on the shirt that they see Rob as is a nice touch and a good way to show our support.”

Details of how to bid on the jerseys will be released in due course.

For more information on the Rob Burrow Fund, click here.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/leeds-player ... rob-burrow

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/08/ ... or-burrow/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Re: Warriors support for Rob Burrow

Post by the pieman »

brilliant gesture and an emotional video to boot
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Well done the management its a tragic situation for a lovely brave lad
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

the only thing i would like done differently in regards to this is 1 or 2 to be raffled off instead of auctioned?

Quite recently there have been a lot of sportsmen and women raffling off memorabilia for charity, which i commend them for as they dont need to do it. However an auction will automatically mean that a lot of people will not take part if they are like myself and dont have £500, £1000+ to try and win an auction

if they were raffled at £5 or £10 per ticket with up to 1000 tickets, would that not be a way that it could be made more inclusive and potentially earn slightly more? I appreciate that this may take more effort to raise the money but IMO gives plenty of people the opportunity to win something that they may never even consider at auction
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

the pieman wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:46 pm the only thing i would like done differently in regards to this is 1 or 2 to be raffled off instead of auctioned?

Quite recently there have been a lot of sportsmen and women raffling off memorabilia for charity, which i commend them for as they dont need to do it. However an auction will automatically mean that a lot of people will not take part if they are like myself and dont have £500, £1000+ to try and win an auction

if they were raffled at £5 or £10 per ticket with up to 1000 tickets, would that not be a way that it could be made more inclusive and potentially earn slightly more? I appreciate that this may take more effort to raise the money but IMO gives plenty of people the opportunity to win something that they may never even consider at auction
Great idea
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Good call from the club this and I'm sure it will solicit a lot of interest (rightly so).

Bought Anthony Gelling's 2016 hall of fame jersey from WWCF eBay page......looking forward to see how the bidding plays out :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

https://twitter.com/wiganwarriorsrl/sta ... 12001?s=21

This is an incredible amount! Well done everyone 😊🏉🍒⚪️❤️🌈

Proud to support Wigan Warriors 🥰
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Come on Josie,
Take pity on an old man who has nothing to do with social media and tell us how much the shirts went for in total.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ian.birchall wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:35 pm
Come on Josie,
Take pity on an old man who has nothing to do with social media and tell us how much the shirts went for in total.
Not sure of the final total, last time I saw was £24,700 I think. French £7,100 & Lockers was next with the highest bids 😊