Squad for Leeds game Sunday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Re: Squad for Leeds game Sunday

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

up the junction wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:28 pm Powell is stealing a living , looks totally uninterested ! Is he carrying a knock or just plain shite ?
Was going to reply to this but words fail me . REALLY

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:36 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:34 pm
up the junction wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:28 pm Powell is stealing a living , looks totally uninterested ! Is he carrying a knock or just plain shite ?
Sam Powell was superb tonight, I don't know which game you watched. It'll be very interesting to look at his stats for the game.
I didn't see the game but the stick he gets is ridiculous..he does all his coaches ask of him and more, still not good enough for some people on here.
Ah Powell the constant conundrum

He is to hooker what Matty Smith was to Half Back

I dont think Powell is a bad player, nor do most fans i thin even the ones who criticise him - he doesnt do anything bad, in fact hes incredibly consistent. The season he came in to cover for Micky Mac everyone was a massive Sam Powell fan i remember he got a huge amount of praise on he for covering in a position he wasnt familiar with and doing a really good job of steadying the ship and keeping us ticking over.

This is when the issue is born, he was cover for a proper hooker - he is still effectively at that level, he does a job very well but he lacks both speed and smarts of the hooker role. His effort is unquestionable and he does a lot of work in defence. Notice how when leeds threw Dwyer on last night though how much quicker their ruck speed went and how many cheap yards they got from us.

Powell is a good player and i will take anyone to task who says different but he is painfully slow, i dont think there is a slower player playing 9 in the league. Now you dont have to be fast to be a hooker but if youre not fast you need to be smart and cute about how you manage the ruck area - Powell doesnt have that in his game either.

Unfortunately the 6 again rule wont help Powell critics because it rewards hookers more than any other player especially zippy ones.

He's not the worst player to have at 9 you wont get many mistakes out of him but neither will you get anything spectacular and i guess that is what divides fans because some like his monotonous consistency others would rather a few mistakes and see something exciting
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:00 am
Was going to reply to this but words fail me . REALLY

Regards EW
Just shows how some fans can be out of touch with reality, Sky gave MOM to Faz (no complaints from me) but Lam himself gave it to Powell, who I must admit has raised his game 100% this season, and is a big
influence in both attack and defence, especially in the light of guiding a very young pack around.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Fans aren’t fond of Powell as he doesn’t really do anything special. He doesn’t do many darting runs, break open defences as likes of say Tony and clark. But one thing Powell does bring is that he’s solid and committed
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Not Tony, roby. Bloody predictive spelling
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Not a bad game - a bit scrappy and not well refereed.

Thought Bibby and HAstings looked interested this week and I was impressed that Bullock/Havard dominated the first 15 minutes or so. Forwards generally stood up well to Leeds bigger pack and to some niggle/high stuff throughout but we need a bit of zip from somewhere.

Faz was unlucky with the "double movement" - it should have gone to VR as should Leeds' try.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Thought it was a better performance with no one really having a bad match but we did leak too many yards to a Leeds side who weren't that good.
Greenwood was pretty good when he was on the field. Made good yards and always looked to offload. Bullock also looked back to something approaching his best at the start.
Agar erred by waiting to bring on Dwyer - we looked in trouble when he ran at us.
We still have that problem near the line on the last tackle though. Faz having to kick!!??
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

"Damning with feint praise."

Funny how Powell is rated by successive coaches but not by many posters here. I wonder who's best qualified to judge?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

What we should be saying about our performance is that we shut Leeds out (barring a dodgy "try") missing 9 of our first choice 18 (1 to 17 plus 31).

We had 5 players aged 19 or 20, scrum half and 4 "middles" - a great performance!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It was a scrappy game and our squad was very depleted in the forwards.
The lads who stepped in also stepped up and put in as good a performance as we could expect.
Our halves gave us the direction and with faster backs that gave us the game.

Leeds were poor, they tried and put in plenty of effort. A slice of luck for them with the Briscoe try but Gale's indiscipline and binning when the score was 16-10 was crucial.

A good win when not at our best and that's important over the length of any season.