Standard of Officiating

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AndyNick

Standard of Officiating

Post by AndyNick »

Its really letting our game down. The most frustrating thing is the lack of consistency. The head shot thing really needs to be got under control before someone gets seriously hurt, but you'll see the same challenge three times dealt with in three different ways. Compare this with Union. You may not like the way they deal with head shots but at least they have a consistent a of criteria and everyone knows where they stand on it. We're trying to grow the game but every week the talking points are the poor calls rather than talking about Frenchs first try or Linehams yesterday which were great team moves and excellent to watch.
Richymac

Re: Standard of Officiating

Post by Richymac »

Tbh the French try just equalled up what was the one of the worst calls from a ref and touch judge I have ever seen.
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

That's kind of the point im making. Their naff call was cancelled out by ours, but both were terrible calls, as was the call to disallow Fazs try.

Every week we have the post about who's reffing and theres not a single one we could get who we'd say "im glad we've got him, hes a decent ref who let's the game flow" Compare that with the NRL with Archer Cecchin and Perenara who are all very good refs. We've got Hicks and Thaler who always try to make themselves the centre of attention, Child who kills the game by not letting it flow, Kendall and Smith are both very hit and miss. I never thought we'd miss Silverwood and Bentham.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

He didn't have the best match early in the season when he reffed us but Kendall looks the best around at the moment. He has a decent rapport with the players but will make tough decisions and the players seem to accept them.
Hicks yesterday let Leeds get away with all manner of skullduggery and then belatedly warned them for the old trick of the man in possession grabbing a tackler's shirt to make it look as if he is delaying the PTB.
He did put Gale quite rightly in the bin for the 'tip-tackle' but by then he had pretty much lost control, hence his warning to both sides about the complaints regarding his decisions.
The awarding of Briscoe's try was crass. It's one of the things that the video ref system was designed for - to check that the player is in the field of play when it's close to the line.
Hope he gets stood down for some matches but I won't hold my breath.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

They may as well revert to the old rules as the lying on last night was disgraceful and impossible for a quick play the ball & thats the referees fault
Great grandad Harry ball

Post by Great grandad Harry ball »

Richymac wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:12 pm Tbh the French try just equalled up what was the one of the worst calls from a ref and touch judge I have ever seen.
Agreed.
Regretfully there are no consistently decent referees about. It seems to be 'make it up as you go along'.
Perhaps its about time that apologies were forthcoming where rank bad decisions are made. I certainly would have been somewhat miffed if the 2nd French try had been given against us- as apparently the arrogant Kendall cannot see in a straight line (not for the first time, he was touchjudge at Wembley v Hull in 2017) but equalling up one of the most obvious foot in touch calls is very poor. Lets see who, if anybody gets pulled up for that one.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

If that was the Burgess 'try' disallowed for a forward pass, sadly, I was in line and it was forward. It was the Clubb disallowed try (disgracefully) that cost us the match.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

AndyNick wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:59 am That's kind of the point im making. Their naff call was cancelled out by ours, but both were terrible calls, as was the call to disallow Fazs try.

Every week we have the post about who's reffing and theres not a single one we could get who we'd say "im glad we've got him, hes a decent ref who let's the game flow" Compare that with the NRL with Archer Cecchin and Perenara who are all very good refs. We've got Hicks and Thaler who always try to make themselves the centre of attention, Child who kills the game by not letting it flow, Kendall and Smith are both very hit and miss. I never thought we'd miss Silverwood and Bentham.

Agree with most of that. Not sure I miss Silverwood and Bentham, though! I think even the worst Aussie refs (Klein?!) are better than ours. I like Perenara and Archer. Kendall looks the best of a bad lot here, and regrettably, I'd still put Hicks second.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

And I haven't watched it back yet, but Faz's try should not have stood, should it? I thought it was rightly turned down (the double movement). And French's second was obviously a poor decision too. But that was down to the VR.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

moto748 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:25 pm And I haven't watched it back yet, but Faz's try should not have stood, should it? I thought it was rightly turned down (the double movement). And French's second was obviously a poor decision too. But that was down to the VR.
Must have missed the debate on French's 2nd try - what was wrong with it ?