Standard of Officiating

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Standard of Officiating

Post by Southern Softy »

Strong possibility of offside.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Southern Softy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:08 am Strong possibility of offside.

Yep thanks, just watched it back.

Think Ref's call helped the Video ref but he's grease lightning and not conclusive, with the angles shown. If he'd been, say, a foot further back, he'd still have won the race with his pace and elusive running.

The tv studio team were split on it, so it's one of those, some go for you and some against, so we'll take it !
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

2 main issues with referees;

1) there arent enough

2) its a a fine balance of keeping support for them (it is a tough job) and them being beyond reproach.

I dont know how you solve 1, however i think 2 could be solved with the NRL Challenge system - i think it really helps ref's because they will make mistakes being humans but it takes the pressure off them deciding games through poor calls.

The linesman for the briscoe try - i just cannot see how hes got that wrong and i think its fair to ask that question. I think the video ref for French thats a 50/50 and it all hinged on if his front foot was still not planted, like the previous post said i think it took the stong out of that one knowing that he would of blitzed them either way,

Personally i thought the farrell one was a try too but hey it is what it is
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mistakes happen so while I do get annoyed at some of their calls it’s just one of those things the truth is the game needs more refs and why on earth would you do that job when you’re being called corrupt,inept etc?

This has to stop so we can at least try to get a few more through the ranks as it stands there’s going to be none of we are not careful.

To me French’s try offside but that could be down to where the camera is as for Briscoe’s try I suppose the touch judge was behind him so he could t spot his foot being on the line..

I think the captains challenge could work but it’d have to be all games not just sky which is fine for now but once it’s back to normal?
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

The Briscoe try could and should have been 'sent upstairs.' It's one of the things that the Video replay was designed for - to make sure that a try is absolutely good or not.
As for offside and forward passes, I'm surprised the technology doesn't allow lines to be superimposed to check.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

You'd need money for that.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yes, unfortunately it seems a lot of simply comes down to money. We haven't got the cameras at all games (and enough different camera angles) to go full on with the Captain's Challenge and Bunker like the NRL. Sadly, I wish we did.

Just on Gale's yellow, on first viewing, as he lifted him, he brought his foot in close, and I thought he'd given a crafty kick in the back at the same time. But watching it again on replay, I don't think that was the case. It wasn't the worst thing in the world, and we've probably seen other players do the same and stay on the pitch, but as I said before, the fact that had been in Hicks' face the whole game didn't help his cause. Refs are only human, they can get fed up with getting harangued. Something all players should keep in mind, including Wigan's.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

moto748 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:58 pm Yes, unfortunately it seems a lot of simply comes down to money. We haven't got the cameras at all games (and enough different camera angles) to go full on with the Captain's Challenge and Bunker like the NRL. Sadly, I wish we did.

Just on Gale's yellow, on first viewing, as he lifted him, he brought his foot in close, and I thought he'd given a crafty kick in the back at the same time. But watching it again on replay, I don't think that was the case. It wasn't the worst thing in the world, and we've probably seen other players do the same and stay on the pitch, but as I said before, the fact that had been in Hicks' face the whole game didn't help his cause. Refs are only human, they can get fed up with getting harangued. Something all players should keep in mind, including Wigan's.
Gone are the days where only the captain can speak to a ref (officially).
It has been a real bug bear of mine for a while. Far too often it appears that player X is constantly in the refs ear, whether that be during play or during a break in play for a penalty etc. Leave that to the captains and let the refs get on with what they are being paid to do, which is referee a game.

i have given refs a fair bit of stick over the years, but understand that they are in a completely no win situation. There are thousands of fans in the ground who think that every decision is wrong, that they are incompetent, biased, cheating etc etc. They get a split second to make a decision at ground level, they arent sat 50 yards away looking over play to see that a pass was marginally forward or someones foot was fractionally offside.
we have technology to an extent and it should be used correctly and not over killing it with every try, although the irony of the 1st Leeds try is that it should have been used. I dont think anyone would have grumbled if he had gone to TV and said i've got a try, can you check foot in touch and grounding, then it got overturned.
There is no pressure on the VR, so they should be getting 99.9% of decisions correct. They are sat in studio with multiple angles and better angles to look at than we see on TV. The ones SKY show at the ground are aimed at making it controversial if possible. My brother in law used to be grade 1 ref, hence the comment
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:58 pm Yes, unfortunately it seems a lot of simply comes down to money. We haven't got the cameras at all games (and enough different camera angles) to go full on with the Captain's Challenge and Bunker like the NRL. Sadly, I wish we did.

Sam Tomkins was the same & we now have Hastings doing it 🙁
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

It's generally only the refs who either can't keep control or make poor decisions that get endless chat from players. Ellery Hanley used to run matches and no one minded (well, I suppose the opposition did) but refs could stop it by giving one warning and then a sin-bin. I suspect they don't because they know that they are not totally in control of the game.