Wigan Warriors prop Tony Clubb injury layoff may be long term

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ddtftf

Re: Wigan Warriors prop Tony Clubb injury layoff may be long term

Post by ddtftf »

The problem is they are taking a large chunk out of the salary cap and the club are getting nothing in return.,
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

ddtftf wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:49 pm Clubb long term injury . chocking on my tea he has been injured along with Lockers and Flower for 3 years these 3 are always missing because of injury sorry but the truth hurts . Without our young heros filling in for them we would be in the shit :( :( :( :(
If we'd replaced them with some pros in the middle of their career, our young heros wouldn't be getting their opportunity. It's just the way it works. If you've got young players ready to step up, you can afford to keep on the senior players knowing the kids can fill in and will benefit from the experience. If you don't have that you have to offload earlier for a player developed elsewhere. I think we've got a good balance right now. Not perfect, but not bad.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ddtftf wrote:Clubb long term injury . chocking on my tea he has been injured along with Lockers and Flower for 3 years these 3 are always missing because of injury sorry but the truth hurts . Without our young heros filling in for them we would be in the shit :( :( :( :(
Spot on. I think everyone was gobsmacked Clubb was given a new deal and Lockers has gone on far too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:
ddtftf wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:49 pm Clubb long term injury . chocking on my tea he has been injured along with Lockers and Flower for 3 years these 3 are always missing because of injury sorry but the truth hurts . Without our young heros filling in for them we would be in the shit :( :( :( :(
If we'd replaced them with some pros in the middle of their career, our young heros wouldn't be getting their opportunity. It's just the way it works. If you've got young players ready to step up, you can afford to keep on the senior players knowing the kids can fill in and will benefit from the experience. If you don't have that you have to offload earlier for a player developed elsewhere. I think we've got a good balance right now. Not perfect, but not bad.
So why did we sign Flower and Clubb in the first place? Or Burgess, Hastings, Isa, French, Clarke, Bibby or Greenwood? Or the forward from Toronto who’s name I forget?

Some of these are nothing special as has been the case with plenty of signings who have come and gone such as Tauati.

Wigan for all its famous production continues to sign plenty of players from outside the club who are now in front of young players coming through. The trouble is it all seems a bit random and not part of a planned succession.

I think The pieman got it right. The club has lost the art of knowing when to move players on. It could do it in the past because it had produced the replacements already or knew who it was after signing and didn’t leave it to the last minute with players like Lockers played well beyond their time. Clubb, Flower, and Lockers would have left by now and we would not be left with gaps because the club simply managed it better.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Clubb picked up a serious facial injury and hasn't been the same since IMO - I can't remember what game that was? On balance I think Clubb was a good signing. No room for sentiment, he should have been moved on.

Flower has also been a plus but again, time is running out.